Gibson Brands Forums

Clip-on Guitar Tuners

Jim Wilson

I've seen them for sale, but don't know anyone using one that I'm aware of. For me it's a lot of money for a tuner, but maybe they're much more accurate than their standard competition. I use clip-on tuners (a couple Deltalabs and a Korg) and they seem to work well. Got six Tascam solar-powered tuners for $6 each on one of Musicians Friend Stupid Deal of The Day emails. I've attached them to six of my guitar cases, so that I've always got a back-up tuner if I forget to bring one my standbys.

Jim,

I have a friend at work who enjoys his Peterson tuner, but I have no personal experience with them.

I do have a Snark or two, and one each Fender California series clip-on tuner, and I must say, I like the Fender model MUCH better.

It's more intuitive, it's small and lightweight, the display is bright and readable, and it works like a champ, every time.

:)

Does anyone have any experience with the Peterson StroboClip SC-1 guitar tuner?

I've had mine a couple of months...I regretted buying it at first but have warmed to it. Obviously very accurate...but it can be quite frustrating trying to get it spot on. Is that level of accuracy needed? I don't know. I still have to tweak my low E and high E on my J-15 after I've tuned. In the past I've used Planet Waves tuners which did what they are supposed to do. The big advantage (for me) of the Stroboclip is the large, clear, bright display that I can read with no problems. If I had better eyesight I would have stuck with the Planet Waves.

I have the TC Electronic Polytune Clip-on. The "poly thing" is not so much to my liking but regular tuning with it is absolutely great.

PolyTune Clip is the latest and best and brightest, easily, no contest - probably most expensive but!

( I use my Snarks and save the Poly battery when changing strings to get it close, which compared to the PolyTune is all they do, play the guitar for a bit then call in the big guns to get it EXACTLY in tune - PolyTune Clip!!! In Strobe Mode. ). I need to buy a spare - I don't think I can remember how to tune normally and I feel anxious at the thought of losing it!

BluesKing777.

I don't think I can remember how to tune normally and I feel anxious at the thought of losing it!

To think it used to be the only way to tune! I guess I was out of guitars for a while and didn't really notice when these tuners became so commonplace. I think my little $10 snark is the most amazing little invention. I can believe the featured tuner in this thread is considerably more accurate. Still, the snark will get you pretty darn close. And you might want to tune your low E a little flat anyway if you're going to be fretting on it a lot, which can sharpen it a titch.

I've had a Stroboclip for about 3 years and really like it. Previously had a Snark and it broke after a few months. The Stroboclip is more accurate and the "sweetened" tunings are nice. After a couple years, the plastic on the clip broke where the rod/spring goes through however. I did a "jury rig" fix for that a year ago and it is holding up.

I gave a Stroboclip to my son in law a couple years ago (he plays bass mainly) and he loves it.

That Polytune clip-on sounded nice at first, but have read about some problems here on the forum. I am sticking with the Peterson stroboclip, it works for me. :)

I bought one and didn't like it. Compared to my usual Snark, it was harder to use and much more expensive. In standard tuning I have no reason to doubt that it's more accurate, but I could not hear a difference. I was really interested in the "sweetened" tuning, but disappointed in the result. I returned the Peterson.

My Polytune Clip is brilliant now , six months on a single battery . The first one was replaced after a week of using two battery's . But I still rate the Snark tuners , good value and work well .

• 2 weeks later...

Since I wrote my original reply I've gone back to using the little Planet Waves NS micro. Much simpler and faster to use and obviously work very well. The Stroboclip is just too much messing around. As long as I'm wearing glasses the Planet Waves is fine.

Since I wrote my original reply I've gone back to using the little Planet Waves NS micro. Much simpler and faster to use and obviously work very well. The Stroboclip is just too much messing around. As long as I'm wearing glasses the Planet Waves is fine.

Good point there! For glasses wearers and oldies, the tuner readout should be bright and like:

A

or waaaaaay bigger - couldn't get the font size bigger.

BluesKing777.

Back in the day, I just put on Day Tripper, tune to the open E and go from there.

I've been liking the Snark, easy to read. When working on the bench I use I use the Pano IPhone app

Been using Snark clip[ on tuners FOREVER and a few months ago picked up a few of the TC PolyTune clip on tuners because they were on sale for $50. Much more accurate than the Snark. I use the TC's at home when I play, but since they were more $$$, I usually just take a cheap-o $10 Snark if I go to a party or a Jam since I dont care it gets lost, stolen or broken.

Using tuners is all well and good but be advised if everyone is not using the same tuner, you may not all be in tune with each other as the algorithms used will not be the same. I once participated in a recording project where on fellow had a Peterson and used it to tune while the other musicians used whatever tuners they had. It was not in tune. Subsequently they recorded another project, that thank goodness I was not part of and the end result was the same.

I used a tuning fork until someone bought me an electronic tuner. They have become the standard but they are a crutch.

Using tuners is all well and good but be advised if everyone is not using the same tuner, you may not all be in tune with each other as the algorithms used will not be the same. I once participated in a recording project where on fellow had a Peterson and used it to tune while the other musicians used whatever tuners they had. It was not in tune. Subsequently they recorded another project, that thank goodness I was not part of and the end result was the same.

I used a tuning fork until someone bought me an electronic tuner. They have become the standard but they are a crutch.

WOW! A tuning fork ? What model # of ears are you using? I sure would be in the market for a set. (Just a little humor). I'll stay with my sn-1 snark.

I'm embarked to say I gave my 2 tuners away so I can just use the app on my phone. I'm sure the phone apps aren't as accurate as the Peterson, but for my purposes, they are light years ahead off when I use to tune "by ear. I may have to revisit this and evolve though, because the,current app I have seems either too sensitive or just unstable. The needle never seems to settle on a point on the graph.

Something about this doesn't add up. Never had an issue in the studio where people using different tuners were so out of tune with each other that it brought a project to a screeching halt. Never. Sounds like inexperienced musicians and/or engineer/production.

Something about this doesn't add up. Never had an issue in the studio where people using different tuners were so out of tune with each other that it brought a project to a screeching halt. Never. Sounds like inexperienced musicians and/or engineer/production.

The band I was in round about the 80s all used my Boss TU12 so the tuning would be all the same, every gig I hand round my tuner, every practice, every everything! Also because I was the only one that owned a tuner, thanks to my girlfriend who bought it for me! [mellow] - what a bunch of losers!

But the theory was convincing...

BluesKing777.

Archived