Gibson Brands Forums

Elixir strings

blindboygrunt

I have tried the Elixirs, (on my Ibanez Jet King JTK40) and they sound perfectly fine, but I cannot say for certain that I am getting any more life or ring out of them.

I do worry about them beginning to flake a bit, as I have seen on a friend's Epiphone SG recently.

[unsure]

What was that?

Sure hope he doesn't start to furniture ads or worse lately here, sportsbet.

I love my Elixirs, mainly PB12s but sometimes the 80/20s I bought by mistake! [cursing] ....... grown to like them.

I have had 2 dud sets recently, maybe old ones? Left them on to see what happens.

But generally, if you have a guitar or two..ahem...why spend the weekends changing strings and mowing lawn when you have long lasting strings and some astroturf!

BluesKing777.

Ha - this is the exact reason I don't use them.

Apart from that, bbg, it's was a bit of a surprise for me the other day when reading you do, , , on the D-35 !?! , , , also the 45 ?!?

Yeah , I had a set of elixir 80/20's I got on eBay for a cheap price and liked them after a week or so playing so I bought a few more packs .

They are a little over the top on the Martin , but I tend to play a lot of ballads and seldom do heavy strumming . They're aren't so good at heavy strumming especially on the Martin .

Plectrums and elixirs I think might be where the dislike for them comes from .80/20's especially

They're good strings no doubt about it . When all things are considered , staying in tune , long life etc .

I certainly can't pick a string that I'll say will keep me happy forever.

Some days the brightness of a new string sounds fantastic , other days a 6 month old dead one is music .

Playing style changes all the time , or should I think , and therefore what is a terrible string at one time can be the best string in a years time . Guitars are the same .

Apart from standard Martin strings , which just die on me within days , I've never had a string that sounded terrible . I don't hate any of them . I

Elixir sounds great on every guitar except my jackson browne model, which sounds best to me with santa cruz medium tension- could not endure more than 30 seconds of that clip, threw it in the whatever file- and no comparison to greg koch, who is an able player and a funny dude

Archived