Gibson Brands Forums

Fender Bassbreaker All Tube Guitar Amp

Rabs

Combination of Bassman and Bluesbreaker.... two iconic guitar amps. I get it. Guess you didn't?

Ahh ok.. Well ive heard of the bluesbreaker but not sure about bassman.. I was just being silly anyway, feel free to ignore me :)

Ahh ok.. Well ive heard of the bluesbreaker but not sure about bassman.. I was just being silly anyway, feel free to ignore me :)

You've not heard of the Fender Bassman? Kids today. Did you watch the video you posted? It mentioned how Jim Marshall modeled his early circuits after the Fender Bassman. He substituted a different tone stack basically. The result is the legendary Marshall circuit we all love so much.

Here's a nice little summary for ya... http://www.guitar-bass.net/features/marshall-amp-history/ This is important stuff, Rabs. You need to know this. I'll have a quiz prepared for you when you finish. [biggrin]

You've not heard of the Fender Bassman? Kids today. Did you watch the video you posted? It mentioned how Jim Marshall modeled his early circuits after the Fender Bassman. He substituted a different tone stack basically. The result is the legendary Marshall circuit we all love so much.

Here's a nice little summary for ya... http://www.guitar-bass.net/features/marshall-amp-history/ This is important stuff, Rabs. You need to know this. I'll have a quiz prepared for you when you finish. [biggrin]

Cheers... Well ive never really been into amps as much as guitars so I freely admit to not knowing too much about them.. I know the most about Marshalls (obviously :)) but still not that much really...

Well I sort of flipped through the video.. They can go on a bit :)

The Fender Bassman name was not a prank. Originally this amp was intended and designed for bass amplification, but either the 15" and the 4 x 10" speakers versions lacked bass response. They tended to buzz at high bass levels, and the open back ate up lows. However, very soon guitarists liked Fender Bassman amps very much, and in particular the 4 x 10" models became iconic. No wonder that Jim Marshall and Ken Bran made this legendary Fender amp their reference when designing their first builds.

Well, just based on that video demo, those amps sound AWESOME! IMHO.

As my dealer informed me, they have some in stock, the next time I'm

up there, I will definitely check them out...absolutely! [thumbup]

CB

I was pretty impressed as well. Not a fan of circuit board based modern tube amps generally - unless they are cheap enough. :rolleyes: These are pretty reasonable. I also love EL84 based amps. The larger 45 version has EL34s. I also love EL34s. [biggrin] I bet these will sell well.

The 18/30 seems particularly cool. Two channels designed after brown face and black face deluxe circuits. Foot switchable between the two of course. Heavy though since it's a 2-12.

The 18/30 seems particularly cool. Two channels designed after brown face and black face deluxe circuits. Foot switchable between the two of course. Heavy though since it's a 2-12.

And, the only one in the line, that doesn't have the "head" only, option. :-k :unsure:

CB

And, the only one in the line, that doesn't have the "head" only, option. :-k :unsure:

CB

Yeah. pity that. The little 7 watt head might be a blast though. The 15 watt model seems to be a bit more modern voiced... "tight, modern tone" isn't normally my thing. The 18/30 in a head would be right up my alley.

A current day Fender Bassman. (Super Bassman) Jim Marshall did base his design from the Bassman, because Bassman's were so expensive back then.

AXFR3Et.jpg

I suppose it would be true to say the original Fender Bassman aren't good bass amps, but then what was at that time? But come to think of it, I have never played a bass through one.

I would say, that often, you can hear, or feel a certain bass presence through them (I am typing about the real ones, not the reissues).

I WILL say this: through a '58/'59, you CAN get a real Marshall roar and crunch through them, and often, sounds more like a true Marshall than it is possible for most of us to experience, or use, through a genuine Marshall. Mostly because it does it at lower volumes, although still quite loud.

Playing any genuine tweed Bassman is an experience, and when they are in good repair, It's real easy to see what all the fuss is about.

Having played and tinkered with a couple Fender Bassman reissues, I haven't been able to get that sound, sometimes not even really getting them to break up properly, or reach that level of saturation/distortion. Also, the Blackfaced reissues sound nothing like the real ones either.

HOWEVER...last couple of times I have been out to the GC and heard/played through the Silverfaced reissues (which are supposed to be the same circuit/construction as the other reissues), they sounded a lot better than I remember. So, perhaps these might have some promise?

Coming back full circle, When I had the Marshalls, playing bass through them sounded really, really good.

I'm not being mean when I say that the only people that think Bassmanii weren't good for bass are the only people that never had a bass player thumping along through one. You know that magic where the bass isn't LOUD, but you can feel it right in yer sternum? THAT is a Bassman being used correctly, and I still love a bass through one to this day.

Vaughn was seen near one and it was all over.

rct

A fair number of Bassman cabs were a two 12" speaker cab. The Bassman head for back in the 60's, was a good bass amp. Then came Sunn, Ampeg, Acoustic.

A fair number of Bassman cabs were a two 12" speaker cab.

With tilt back legs and you could bolt the head on. Played them for years. Had two different blackface heads (a '65 and a '66) and a matching 2-12 cab for one of them. Should kept those. Great guitar amps - just loud. They needed to be on at least 5 to sound really nice.

Archived