Gibson Brands Forums

NGD! Gibson Les Paul Studio 60s Reissue

swampash

For about a year I've had a nice Epiphone Sheraton II that was filling the Thinline semi acoustic gap in my Guitar collection. Then earlier this year I bought a 2010 Gibson ES-335 Dot Reissue. The Sheraton has since remained on the wall gathering dust. Last Friday I traded the Sheraton for a made in Mexico Fender Thinline Telecaster. Then without even having plugged in the Telecaster, I traded it for this, a Gibson Les Paul Studio 60s Reissue with P90s. I've been looking for a Les Paul with P90s for quite some time but the one I always wanted, a 56 Reissue is way out of my budget.

172FFE97-2CA5-4085-BAAE-153CFB025F0E_zpsqfpywjlc.jpg

479603B6-EDF4-47D4-88C3-865BACB9FE50_zpskpnarigo.jpg

D7A1BAB8-21FE-4531-979A-C3C847D1E1BF_zpslrflduv1.jpg

3486CBCF-FD01-4042-83EC-304F2B64095B_zpskf2tw4h5.jpg

When the guy contacted my about wanting to do the trade, I had hoped it was a Goldtop but then he told me it was white. I was disappointed. Since he lived close to me I went over to try it out anyway. Even when I saw it in the flesh I wasn't bowled over. Then I played it. The P90s snarled with some crunch and it sounded superb through a clean channel. Bugger! Now I wanted it so I did the deal and got a hardcase in the as well. It has a very thin road worn satin nitro finish. My wife was surprised by the colour and wasn't sure she liked it. Last night I put it on a chair opposite me and the more I looked at it the more I liked it. The cream hardware is weird and I am going to put a Bigsby B7 vibrato on it.

But now I'm thinking......

Get it refinished as a Goldtop with natural back and sides including the back of the neck.....

I'll spend more time with it and see what my gut tells me.

The bottom line is that in the course of five days I've traded my way from an Epiphone to a Gibson without spending a cent and that is a good thing in my book. :)

But now I'm thinking......

Get it refinished as a Goldtop with natural back and sides including the back of the neck.....

I'll spend more time with it and see what my gut tells me.

Ah, a man after my own heart [smile]

They're just guitars - do with them what you will...

That one is a perfect candidate for your refin idea.

Ah, a man after my own heart [smile]

They're just guitars - do with them what you will...

That one is a perfect candidate for your refin idea.

Yep. :)

Just waiting to see how much it will cost me but a Goldtop with the hardware on the guitar would be perfect. :)

Yep. :)

Just waiting to see how much it will cost me but a Goldtop with the hardware on the guitar would be perfect. :)

Yup I got one of the original 60s Tributes (2011).. Goldtop with natural back, they are awesome guitars.. And P90s ROCK!!! [thumbup]

0191_zps27hwhhs2.jpg

Congrats on your nice catch! [love] I would flip (and adjust, of course) the Nashville bridge and leave everything else as it is. [biggrin]

What a crazy trading history! Definitely awesome! [thumbup]

Congrats on your nice catch! [love] I would flip (and adjust, of course) the Nashville bridge and leave everything else as it is. [biggrin]

What a crazy trading history! Definitely awesome! [thumbup]

Why flip the bridge? Might be something I want to try with my guitar. Thanks in advance for the education! :)

Why flip the bridge? Might be something I want to try with my guitar. Thanks in advance for the education! :)

You get better tone if the screws face away from the pickups. [tongue]

Looking at this crazy thing last night, I think I'm really starting to like the cream on white look.

Is this wrong? :)

No, I think it's perfect.

Unconventional, but elegant.

A very interesting-looking and classy guitar!

[love]

Archived