Gibson Brands Forums

Factory second

opy4

I'm looking at a 1976 LP Deluxe Goldtop, I've already verified to my satisfaction that it is authentic but it's stamped as a factory second. It has also had the tuners replaced with modern version of the originals and it has a small crack on the pickgaurd by the neck pickup. Does anyone have an idea what this would be worth given its a factory second?

The "factory second" thing has VERY little, or NO bearing on the value of a old used guitar. At 40 years old, this guitar certainly has more dings, scrapes, repairs, mods and problems than whatever it left the factory with to get it a "2" designation in the first place.

At this point in the used market, this guitar need only be evaluated on the basis of aesthetics, sound, playability and value. A Norlin era '76 LP is not "vintage" or collectible (nor ever will be), so all that really matters is if you think it looks good, plays good, sounds good, and is affordable.

The "factory second" thing has VERY little, or NO bearing on the value of a old used guitar. At 40 years old, this guitar certainly has more dings, scrapes, repairs, mods and problems than whatever it left the factory with to get it a "2" designation in the first place.

At this point in the used market, this guitar need only be evaluated on the basis of aesthetics, sound, playability and value. A Norlin era '76 LP is not "vintage" or collectible (nor ever will be), so all that really matters is if you think it looks good, plays good, sounds good, and is affordable.

Thank you for the info, yes I wasn't looking at it for collecting, simply a player. In fact I was going to modify it anyway. I was just trying to find out if the seller was asking a fair price at 2400.

uhmm $2400? that feels steep.

I was thinking the same thing. As the owner (bought new) of a 1975 LP Standard, I kind of keep an eye on the market for these mid-70's LP's. Top dollar on pristine/original examples seems to be around $2000. Regardless of the "2", but taking into consideration the aftermarket tuners, market value on this instrument should come in a little less than 2G.

This assumes transaction in the continental US, and as the OP did not fill in the "location" portion of their "profile", we don't know geographic location, so..., adjust accordingly for Antarctica, Siberia, and other "secondary" markets..

Thanks again guys, I appreciate the information. With what you've said I'm glad I came here before overpaying..I'm obviously not as educated as I should be on my (non) vintage Gibsons but I hope to get there. As far as buying that Norlin.."Well I guess I should say no, but it's kinda hard when shes ready to go" [wink]

• 3 months later...

I sometimes do not think too much about "overpaying"......better to get it if you like the looks, plays good and sounds good. "Opportunity only knocks once" is a saying I like to be aware of all the time.

• 4 months later...

I bought an 80s SG standard with block inlays and an ebony fretboard. It was a cool guitar but was marked '2' because some of the red dye bled into the binding. Now a days it seems to be a common thing and non issue. I got a better deal on the SG because of the 2 and when I sold it, it seemed to be an issue as well ( I sold it in the mid 90s ).... even though it played and sounded good.

Archived