Gibson Brands Forums

My 57 Historic Gold top ..Is this Normal

BLACKZEPPELIN

Guest Farnsbarns

Cracking is somewhat normal but it'seems not quite that simple. I had an R6 which did the exact same thing only it turned out eventually to be more than just cracking. I realised the bridge pins had got closer together and gripped the bridge very slightly and that the tail piece studs had done the same so with no tension the tail piece wouldn't sit right.

The entire body had curled up. No one would listen, just kept telling me cracking was normal. Eventually I walked into the store with it, placed it on their plate glass counter and asked if it was normal that it rocked back and forth. They got it then and handled it well but it was a nightmare.

So, cracking is normal but check to see if there's movement in the body that might be causing it.

I wonder how long it takes for cracking or checking to occur if its going to happen? I just bought an R7 goldtop from Long & Mcquade in Canada. It was new but it was a 2013 model that had not sold but handled quite a bit over the 3 years until I bought it.Right now its perfect with not a mark on it.

I also bought a Custom Shop Nocaster about 8 months ago from Long & Mcquade that was also a new 2013 model. It had checking in the finish before I even took it home. I liked the look of it on the Nocaster. But I like the cleaner non relic'd look on the R7. Though I understand the goldtop is susceptible to checking or cracking. Hope it doesn't happen.

Archived