Gibson Brands Forums

The difference between a Tribute and re-issue

The way I see it.. A tribute guitar like the Studio are just roughly based on what ever year they are nodding too.. So the 60s Studio Tributes have the slimmer neck, the 50s Studio Tributes have fatter necks..

Re-issues are like replicas... So are like modern day versions of 50s and 60s guitars using modern materials and techniques to make them.

Then theres the true historic guitars which have silly attention to detail including period correct wood stains and molecular level correct plastics.

(oh and that white 60s Tribute is not a re-issue, its a 60s Tribute Studio)

So yeah, so a 60's Tribute Les Paul is a studio, which didn't exist then, sportin P90's, which I don't remember being on any Les Pauls back then.

So yeah, makes good sense.

rct

Some SG Tribute models featured pickups that were never available stock before. They came without neck binding, had a satin finish, and instead of pickguard and neck joint cover they sported two more frets. Not a bad trade-off at all! [biggrin]

Don't overlook the 50s Tribute SG which didn't even exist until the 1960s!

I think it basically means fat neck versus slim neck and they just stick it on whatever and instant new Tribute model.

The way I see it.. A tribute guitar like the Studio are just roughly based on what ever year they are nodding too.. So the 60s Studio Tributes have the slimmer neck, the 50s Studio Tributes have fatter necks..

Re-issues are like replicas... So are like modern day versions of 50s and 60s guitars using modern materials and techniques to make them.

Then theres the true historic guitars which have silly attention to detail including period correct wood stains and molecular level correct plastics.

(oh and that white 60s Tribute is not a re-issue, its a 60s Tribute Studio)

Very well-stated, Rabs.

:)

Odd that the '60s tribute has P-90s and the 50s has humbuckers... anyone remember something significant that happened in '57?

Having said that I am chasing a 2012 Gold top 60s tribute cuz the neck profile is magic and the P-90s howl like...well... nothing from the 60s.

Odd that the '60s tribute has P-90s and the 50s has humbuckers... anyone remember something significant that happened in '57?

Having said that I am chasing a 2012 Gold top 60s tribute cuz the neck profile is magic and the P-90s howl like...well... nothing from the 60s.

Yeah it is a bit odd but the usual Gibson style marketing..

Remember they also had a weird 70s tribute.. I really don't think any part of it is like a 70s LP? (maybe that's what they imagined if Henry owned the company in the 70s??) all odd... but sadly not unusual

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-70s-Tribute.aspx

Yeah it is a bit odd but the usual Gibson style marketing..

Remember they also had a weird 70s tribute.. I really don't think any part of it is like a 70s LP? (maybe that's what they imagined if Henry owned the company in the 70s??) all odd... but sadly not unusual

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-70s-Tribute.aspx

The only 70's attribute was the neck volute I think. Same is valid for SGs of that style, too:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-70s-Tribute.aspx

Archived