Gibson Brands Forums

Now Axl talks about the situation.. Now with Angus interview

Rabs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36203834

Axl Rose says he means "no disrespect" to AC/DC frontman Brian Johnson, who he is replacing on the band's Rock or Bust World Tour.

In his first interview in five years, the Guns N' Roses star told BBC 6 Music he was huge fan of Johnson's singing and "wants to do it justice".

Rose was drafted in after Johnson was advised to stop playing live or "risk total hearing loss".

He makes his debut with the band in Lisbon, Portugal, on Saturday 7 May.

"I'm happy and excited in one sense, but I think it would be inappropriate to be celebrating, in a certain way, at someone else's expense," he said.

"That's not what I'm here to do. It's an unfortunate situation."

Some fans have been unhappy with Rose's hiring, with several thousand requesting ticket refunds for some of the European shows - although these have now all been re-sold.

Johnson, 68, from Gateshead, has been lead singer with AC/DC since 1980.

In a statement last month, he said he was "crushed" by his inability to fulfil the remaining tour dates.

There have been rumours the split was acrimonious, but guitarist Angus Young explained he had spoken to Johnson extensively before he decided to leave the group.

"In his heart he wanted to finish [the tour] but because of that hearing factor he had to make the decision," he told the BBC.

"It's a hard thing to do, and he'd had the problem since we kicked off touring. It was his call. It was a shock to us too."

"The last thing you want to do is walk away from something, but you don't want someone in a tragic situation; being deaf, or any other affliction."

Young said the band had "seen our fair share of tragedies", including the departure of his brother, guitarist Malcolm Young, after he developed dementia, and the death of original singer Bon Scott in 1980.

"After that you're doubly careful," he said. "You want [band members] to be leaving in full body shape, not in a tragic way."

'Really challenging'

Rose also confirmed it was his idea to approach AC/DC about helping them complete the last 12 dates of their world tour.

"I called the day I read about it in the news, that there was a situation going on with Brian's hearing," he said.

"I called a guy who's their production manager right now... because I knew there was going to be a problem with having dates on sale and dates sold and stuff like that. So if I could help, and if I was able to do it, and they were interested, I'd love to help. And that's how it started.

"I wasn't looking at it like, 'I'm singing for AC/DC.' I was looking at it like, 'y'know, if I can, and if they think I'm able to do it."

Rose also said he didn't know whether he would be able to sing some of the songs in the set.

"A lot of the Back In Black stuff is really challenging. I'm not here in any way out of any disrespect to Brian. I can't take anything away from his singing at all," he said.

"He's a great singer and it's really challenging to sing it. I'm just trying to do it justice for the fans."

AC/DC are due to play London's Olympic Stadium on 4 June and Manchester's Etihad Stadium five days later.

Rose will be alternating between shows with the Australian band and Guns N' Roses, who are on tour with original guitarist Slash for the first time since the 1990s.

You can hear Matt Everitt's full interview with Axl Rose on the BBC 6 Music Breakfast show from 07:00 BST on Friday, 6 May

Also I saw this vid on Youtube where someone had recorded some of the rehearsals... Its not a great recording but you can hear enough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=462uMHi0mgI

Also saw this quite recent clip...

I love the bit when he asks Axl what will happen if he enjoys performing with AC/DC better than GnR haha.. Who wouldn't ;)

I'm impressed that Axl actually acted decently towards that D-bag TMZ guy following him around asking dumb questions.

Yeah totally.. that would be enough to drive anyone nuts...

...funny aside, I had a look on the Motorhead Facebook page and the moderators had announced that some 'big news and changes' were coming soon (probably referring to upgrading the site...)

..anyway, some dude replies "If it's Axl Rose again..I'm ***king done with life."

.. [lol] man, I wish I'd written that!

Axl did seem pretty sane in that 'interview'... And the US are going to need a new President soon after the AC/DC and G'nR tours.. Is it too late for him to nominate I wonder?

I do hope so. It's a very different band and environment since the early GNR days though. AC/DC is a fairly humble group of guys, with addictions running to nicotine, aged in their 60's - a fairly different volatility level compared to being in the GNR original lineup 25-30 years ago.

Even in more recent GNR - Thal, Ferrer, Fortus, Stinson, Ashba et al, who were together much longer than the 'classic' lineup, things would have been much less volatile. I hope he can do it justice. Different to Brian certainly, but no moreso than Brian was to Bon.

I do hope so. It's a very different band and environment since the early GNR days though. AC/DC is a fairly humble group of guys, with addictions running to nicotine, aged in their 60's - a fairly different volatility level compared to being in the GNR original lineup 25-30 years ago.

Even in more recent GNR - Thal, Ferrer, Fortus, Stinson, Ashba et al, who were together much longer than the 'classic' lineup, things would have been much less volatile. I hope he can do it justice. Different to Brian certainly, but no moreso than Brian was to Bon.

Videos already coming up on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XymxcG7pdqI

Nothing wrong with that - especially seated!

Not many are going to be able do the high stuff of Brian like Back in Black (think Night Train) and the purring growl of Bon like Touch Too Much (think Civil War) as competently.

Videos already coming up on Youtube...

Not too shabby. I don't envy anyone that has to carry on vocally like that all night, but then, they are doing it because they can!

Angus sounds his usual Angus self. The two of us have been playing exactly the same all our lives and I still get just as much a kick out of sounding like I did in 1980 as he does.

I don't think I've ever done AC/DC in a band steady.

I channel Angus when doing Foreigner things, Midnight Blue and I can bang head and step just like him.

rct

Not too shabby. I don't envy anyone that has to carry on vocally like that all night, but then, they are doing it because they can!

Angus sounds his usual Angus self. The two of us have been playing exactly the same all our lives and I still get just as much a kick out of sounding like I did in 1980 as he does.

rct

Yeah you gotta give some props to Axl.. Hes doing both AC/DC and fitting in the GnR tour too... That's gonna be killer on his throat...

And yes well, Angus is Angus, hes amazing.. I don't think anyone has ever quite rocked as hard as that guy in his collective career.. I mean, he rocks harder in one show than most people do in a lifetime, and hes done it for a lifetime..

Heres more

I also think the fact that hes sitting down has probably helped a bit.. Imagine him snake dancing to Black in Black or something, now that would be odd :)

• 5 weeks later...

I listened to "Axl/DC" for the first time today. Umm... He doesn't have the low end to fill Brian's presumably stinky shoes. But he IS singing his *** off, he hits the notes, and he's being every bit the professional I expect for someone who sings for two huge-*** bands.

I'm hoping he's grown up a bit. Time will tell, but it looks it to me. He snapped a metatarsal bone - Christ, remember the Guns/Metallica tour? If he'd so much as stubbed a toe then, he'd not only have cancelled the entire tour, he'd have cancelled the WORLD!

I understand he's bipolar, and has been thru extensive therap (and lithium?). It seems to be working.

Good for him.

Because no matter what - the guy wrote "Breakdown". And "Estranged". And "Coma".

Not too shabby.

I just read Brian is looking to get back with AC/DC, seeing as the new in-ear monitors supposedly work. I doubt it.

Funny story about axle,,, I'm in red deer Alberta an we have a radio station 106.7 the drive.. I listen to it at work an just last Thursday they said axles spokesperson called them cause axle was mad at them,,, reason being they call him fat axle on the drive and it hurts axles feelings cause he's not fat so stop calling him fat axle..... The radio station laughed soooo hard an still continue to call him fat axle.....

Funny story about axle,,, I'm in red deer Alberta an we have a radio station 106.7 the drive.. I listen to it at work an just last Thursday they said axles spokesperson called them cause axle was mad at them,,, reason being they call him fat axle on the drive and it hurts axles feelings cause he's not fat so stop calling him fat axle..... The radio station laughed soooo hard an still continue to call him fat axle.....

OK, that is funny. For 2 reasons.

1. he is kinda fat and old but who cares. 2. It hurt his itty bitty feewings. Poor guy. lol

Suck it up princess.

I listened to the posted vids. They are ok. Not great but ok. I think he does a pretty good job for a fat bastard.

What I did learn though is that I still don't care. He sings with AC DC now. Great. Good for them all.

It aint the end of the world. It's just music. They are just trying to finish a tour. Good on them for that.

Archived