Gibson Brands Forums

ADVICE NEEDED: Epi EJ-200 Artist

Pesh

Hi guys n' girls.

Just wanted to push this topic out and see if anyone could come back to me.

Looking to get rid of a handful of old dreadnoughts I have banging about the house and collecting dust, and not seeing any love.

The band I'm in is starting to get some interest in acoustic fills, as well performing some smaller venues in the 'unplugged' style.

I'm getting a few quid for each of those I'm parting with, and would have at the end roughly half of what I'd need to get an EJ 200 Artist, which is just shy of the £150 mark.

I don't really want to spend much at all, and would like to have something I can throw about a bit (metaphorically...!) so this seems to suit the bill nicely.

But can anyone tell me anything that should sway my decision, further-to or far away from what might be my next purchase?

Cheers all.

i guess the only down side to the EJ-200 Artist would be no on-board electronics. if you're going to be gigging with it; you'd need to figure out that part.

Indeed; luckily I have managed to source a soundhole pickup which was used briefly on one of the previous dreadnoughts, and will hopefully fit the EJ.

I imagine some components like the nut, bridge and pins might be a bit poor, but these can all be replaced with ease and low cost.

You did ask so I'll throw my oar in. If you're set on one of the cheaper Epiphones then there is nothing to touch the AJ-220S IMHO. Just had a quick look and Andertons in the UK are selling them for £120. Don't know much about the EJ-200 Artist except that it's all laminate and the AJ-220S has a solid top. I keep one in the UK for when I visit and I honestly don't think there is a better acoustic guitar for the money.

Indeed; luckily I have managed to source a soundhole pickup which was used briefly on one of the previous dreadnoughts, and will hopefully fit the EJ.

I imagine some components like the nut, bridge and pins might be a bit poor, but these can all be replaced with ease and low cost.

yeah, you should be fine with the soundhole pickup. the components you mentioned are plastic (I believe). it's been a while since I've played one. not a bad guitar for the price.

as Irish Rover mentioned; the AJ-220S is a nice one too.

Another vote from another Irish (not so much) Rover here. For £120 the AJ220 can't be touched and sounds better than guitars costing a lot more. And the sound just keeps getting better.

Not done much roving myself the last couple of years, hell, you've travelled much further than me this year Mr New York. [thumbup]

Pesh, just one caveat for the AJ-220S if you decide to go down that road, then you should try to find an Indonesian made one, I have heard the Chinese built models fall short on quality.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my EJ-200 Artist VS today, and I couldn't be happier. It's Indonesian, not Chinese. It's beautiful, and appears quite well built - just like my other Indonesian ES-175. I don't think the strings are great, but still it's got a nice and big tone.

I was lucky to get to try the guitar in the shop along with a number of really nice Super Jumbos, including the gorgeous Gibson SJ-200 Bob Dylan edition. Would I prefer that guitar? Hell, yeah! It's an absolute work of art, and it does sound noticably better. But at over twenty times the price, it should, shouldn't it? I was delighted to find that the EJ-200 Artist was a serious option at a ridiculously low price.

Highly recommended. [thumbup]

Archived