Gibson Brands Forums

24 fret Sg

Carmine

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks like a terrific guitar, Carmine.

Not meaning to sound like a complete nincompoop, but what is the norm for an SG, 22 frets?

I have held and played a few SG's in my time, but never actually owned one, so please forgive my ignorance.

[mellow]

Interesting pup setup and coil tap. I like look of the covered poles.

Never played this one. I've got a Gibby with Mini-buckers and I really like them. Never played with a Tony Iommi bucker.

BTW, this model is on the Gibson website here - http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Standard-24.aspx . According to Gibson's website it's supposed to be an exclusive at AMS shown here - http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-SG14A-EBCH3

I have this guitar. Mine is a 2014 in ebony. The one I own is without a doubt the lightest SG I have ever held, which is great for my all-night gigs. The 24 frets are great, and they don't make the guitar feel any different than my other SGs. One thing I will say is that the Iommi bridge pickup isn't nearly as high output as Gibson describes (at least mine isn't) in fact, when playing clean, the mini humbucker in the neck is noticeably louder.....but when the volume and gain are turned up, that's when the Iommi pickup really shines. It's like a " vintage heavy" if that makes any sense. I love mine!

I have the iommi pickups in the epiphone iommi that is also a 2014 I believe. I love them. Your dead on with the vintage heavy. There are odd volume issues too. I have a iommi in both bridge and neck and the neck is louder as well. Strange.

Can I also say that I actually really love these iommi pickups for cleans as well. I turn the tone down to about halfway and I'm in heaven. I'm a tone nut and cleans are the hardest for me to find and be happy with. I really dig the cleans from the iommi in the neck position.

thanks for you input man, you sold me!! I'm pulling the trigger right now!!! Another Gibson for the collection!!!

I've had this model for almost a year now. Out of the 7 SG's I have owned this is by far the most versatile and well put together in terms of craftsmanship. No PC board, just a hand wired rig. The pickup is not an Iommi as listed but a 57 classic plus with no exposed pole pieces. There has been controversy over this and myself and a few others looked under the hood and they are labeled as 57's. Gibson and AMS/ZZounds made a mistake in the specs. I suspected it wasn't an Iommi as it's fairly powerful but not as talked about in an Iommi. The Firebird is incredible and in single coil mode it can summon a Tele from hell!

100_6433_zpsgpdbsqo0.jpg

100_6435_zpske2uninl.jpg

100_6396_zpshalk0jei.jpg

100_6436_zpsabdamjxm.jpg

100_6392_zpsylfyfglf.jpg

Hey sggypsyboy,

Are your pickups angled in regard to the strings? I saw a couple pics and noticed that the pups looked like they were on drastic angles as opposed to flat. With the downslope towards the bridge.

You know I saw a couple on eBay or somewhere that said 57's and not iommis.

Hey sggypsyboy,

Are your pickups angled in regard to the strings? I saw a couple pics and noticed that the pups looked like they were on drastic angles as opposed to flat. With the downslope towards the bridge.

You know I saw a couple on eBay or somewhere that said 57's and not iommis.

The Firebird is level with the pickguard and the 57 is angled slightly towards the bridge on all of them i have seen. The Firebird is great on cleans btw.

Yeah I agree!! I'm a little upset I ordered the ebony. The grain is beautiful. I wish they would do more see through black type finishes so that you get the dark look and can still see the grain.

You're going to love it. The mini humbucker sounds great clean, even in split-coil. Good choice on the ebony, they look sharp in person. I'm going to have to open mine up one of these days to see which pickup is in there. If it is a 57 Classic, it sounds nothing like my other SG with 57's. Either way, I love the sound when it's cranked. Every time I gig it people tell me how thick my sound is.

They sent it out already, I checked. I like the black though. The red would of matched my LP. I have a wine red 2016 studio t.

I'm excited for the 57 and the firebird. I haven't had much experience with 57's. My LP has the 490r and the 498t. I'm thinking of switching them out. Idk what I should put in. What do you guys like and use?

Has anyone used those James hetfield emg buckers? I'm not a huge emg fan but they look interesting at least.

These are indeed a mystery as I have also encountered a few whose have Iommi's. And this one differs from the AMS exclusive on the Gibson site which lists a baked maple board,Grover Rotomatics, and the Iommi with no cherry red option. Mine has a rosewood board, kluson tonepros deluxe tuners, and the 57. I think in typical gibson fashion they change up specs on the fly and even mid production based on whats on hand.You will love it no matter the variant. The neck is unique compared to the other SG's I've had.

A lot of limited runs don't appear on the sire, but can understand why, if it's a small number it might not justify a site republishing.

Nice guitar - BUY IT! msp_biggrin.gifmsp_biggrin.gifmsp_biggrin.gif

How is the neck different?

It's kind of a wider slim taper if that makes any sense.Gets a little wider than most as you go up the fretboard. Really nice and it doesn't fight you. I'm not really good at describing neck shapes but it's really comfortable and not too narrow at the nut. I think you will dig it.

Your right I do dig it, very much. Nice and wide at the nut. A really great neck altogether. The pickups are really great the firebird especially. Only problem is the nut and the small crack right behind the nut that runs about a half inch behind the low e string and makes open notes buzz.when I put pressure on the back of the neck behind the crack the buzz goes away. I already contacted Zzounds and they are making it right and that's all good. I'm really happy otherwise. Great looking guitar. Love the pickups and I really love the firebird esp. It has probably the most sensitive pick ups and tone knobs that I've ever used. I have a Gibson LP studio and it has 490 498 pups and the 57 blows them away so that's cool.

Archived