Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone EM-30 - Looking for information

Pelasgian

Hi everyone, first post here on the forums.

I recently acquired a "Montana Series" Epiphone Em-30 natural acoustic cutaway guitar at a garage sale, in pretty great condition. I've been trying to find some info on this instrument, but given that apparently only 16 were made, the findings have been sparse. There are a few of posts in this forum about the Montana series, but that's it. I wonder if anyone has a sense of how much this could be worth? I wouldn't even know where to start if I wanted to sell it - there seems to be no history of any sales on ebay, reverb, etc. Can you tell me more about this guitar I've come to own? Immense thanks! :)

Here is a description of the model:

http://epiphonewiki....na_Series#EM-30

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't show views until it is replied to, which you just did. So you should see now it's had a buncha views but nobody's ever heard of one I guess.

rct

Thanks for the explanation. Any clue on how to price a guitar like this?

Doesn't show views until it is replied to, which you just did. So you should see now it's had a buncha views but nobody's ever heard of one I guess.

rct

I had no idea of the instrument's value when I bought it. I only suspected I got a good deal when the seller accepted my offer.

As for the implication of your question, while it certainly would be nice to let someone know the value of what they have and sacrifice your interest in frugality as a customer, I don't agree that it's wrong to buy something that you know is more valuable than it's being sold for, assuming the seller is not in some desperate situation.

Did you give the garage sale guy its value?

rct

I had no idea of the instrument's value when I bought it. I only suspected I got a good deal when the seller accepted my offer.

As for the implication of your question, while it certainly would be nice to let someone know the value of what they have and sacrifice your interest in frugality as a customer, I don't agree that it's wrong to buy something that you know is more valuable than it's being sold for, assuming the seller is not in some desperate situation.

The more difficult part will be when you find out how valuable it isn't. Rarity /= High Value, Rarity = Rarity and no more. They may have stopped making them because they were a bad idea. Also, when there are so few, it is hard to get close to reasonable pricing, and that's for known, hunted, wanted guitars. This one is an anomaly, you probably won't find much on it.

Good luck with it. It is always cool to spot something cool at a flea market or yard sale.

rct

...but nobody's ever heard of one I guess.

You got that right. I don't know of any other Epiphones made in Bozeman. The "EM" apparently stands for Epiphone Montana. Somebody's post on some board or another said these sold for $1500 new. That's certainly odd for an Epiphone. And only 16 made? Yeah, that's rare. But you can get a brand-new all solid wood Masterbilt, with electronics, for ~$650. That's tough competition.

Archived