Gibson Brands Forums

Help to identify Les Paul Custom SG body

Hi there,I'm having trouble identifying this curious LP custom,6 digit stamped serial 99xxxx. It is said to be made in 1969,the year missing in the Blue Book,but the number seems to fit with those that would have come after 1968. A serial number search didn't recognize it.The inconsistency, is the wording "Les Paul Custom" on the truss rod cover and at the base of the neck,which apparently didn't occur after 1963.It also has a small guard, not the large guard of 1969. Could it be an original or 69' neck on another body? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

post-78632-074016200 1462711626_thumb.jpg

post-78632-027455700 1462711694_thumb.jpg

post-78632-049750200 1462711735_thumb.jpg

mpnt,

Is there some reason why you didn't post the complete serial number?

Having the proper serial number could assist one of the experts here in helping to solve this mystery, and there is certainly no way anybody can steal your identity or commit any sort of crime with just a guitar serial number.

Just a thought.

Granted, most web searches for serial numbers from Gibson guitars made before 1977 can be inconclusive or even confusing, but every little bit of information helps.

http://archive.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/ProductSpotlight/GearAndInstruments/Gibson%20Serial%20Numbers/

Standing by for the veteran web forum members (who have much more experience regarding vintage SG's than I) to chime in.

I'm sure they will be able to help, mpnt. They are a great bunch of guys and gals.

:)

Hi there,I'm having trouble identifying this curious LP custom,6 digit stamped serial 99xxxx. It is said to be made in 1969,the year missing in the Blue Book,but the number seems to fit with those that would have come after 1968. A serial number search didn't recognize it.The inconsistency, is the wording "Les Paul Custom" on the truss rod cover and at the base of the neck,which apparently didn't occur after 1963.It also has a small guard, not the large guard of 1969. Could it be an original or 69' neck on another body? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Pics arent really good enough to help out much (need good straight on front on back shots of the body and head stock). Codes of the back of the pots would help if they havent been replaced.

These were re-issued a few times over the years (quick check says '87-'91 and again in '94-'2011), not sure what serial codes they used for the re-issues, but this SG from the info provided could easily be one of these re-issues.

Hello!

It's not a 1969 guitar. Neither the body, nor the neck. The volute is absent at the headstock.

The pictures are poor, so it's very hard to tell whether it's an early-60s vintage model, or a poorly kept reissue.

Bence.

The published SN records I have do not show Gibson getting to 990,000 in '68 or '69, But.... does show them picking back up with 9XX,XXX number in 1970, although without specific numbers listed.

I know nothing specific about any LP/SG reissues, but the original early 60's models would not have used this SN format. Potentiometer codes would add some information to this mystery.

mpnt,

Having the proper serial number could assist one of the experts here in helping to solve this mystery, and there is certainly no way anybody can steal your identity or commit any sort of crime with just a guitar serial number.

Just a thought.

Granted, most web searches for serial numbers from Gibson guitars made before 1977 can be inconclusive or even confusing, but every little bit of information helps.

http://archive.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/ProductSpotlight/GearAndInstruments/Gibson%20Serial%20Numbers/

Standing by for the veteran web forum members (who have much more experience regarding vintage SG's than I) to chime in.

I'm sure they will be able to help, mpnt. They are a great bunch of guys and gals.

mpnt,

Just a thought.

Archived