Gibson Brands Forums

What year this ES175D

Hi Guys,

Unlike my ES355 this guitar should be relatively easy to ascertain it's build history. It's a GIBSON ES175D Serial number 00103153 (the 5 could be an 8, 5 or 3) but this shouldn't have great affect on it's build date.

Thanking you in advance for any and all assistance.

Mike from Australia

... should be relatively easy to ascertain it's build history. It's a GIBSON ES175D Serial number 00103153

No, it's not "relatively easy". The serial number you give could be from 1976 or 2003. This is why we keep asking for photos and other details.

The earliest 8-digit numbers were used in 1975, and printed on a waterslide decal on the back of the headstock. The decal contained the serial, the model of the guitar, and "Made In USA". For '75, 76 & 77, the first two digits of the SN were a prefix code for the year of MFG. "00" = 1976

Around 1978 Gibson changed the format for the 8-digit SN where the first and fifth digits were last two numbers of the year of MFG.

So, you see why it's not just "relatively" easy, and more information than just a SN is required.

No, it's not "relatively easy". The serial number you give could be from 1976 or 2003. This is why we keep asking for photos and other details.

The earliest 8-digit numbers were used in 1975, and printed on a waterslide decal on the back of the headstock. The decal contained the serial, the model of the guitar, and "Made In USA". For '75, 76 & 77, the first two digits of the SN were a prefix code for the year of MFG. "00" = 1976

Around 1978 Gibson changed the format for the 8-digit SN where the first and fifth digits were last two numbers of the year of MFG.

So, you see why it's not just "relatively" easy, and more information than just a SN is required.

Hi, thanks for your reply and I guess I have a lot to learn about Gibson guitar dating. Having said that it must be a 1976 model as I purchased it in Hawaii about 1976-1978 and your probably correct about the decal which has the words as you have mentioned. Didn't realize that the words were on a decal which is oval in shape. I have a suspicion this guitar may have been stolen as it was sold to me in a "Car Park"! Wish my ES355TD had been more "relatively" easy to ascertain it's manufacturing date. Cheers, Mike

Archived