Gibson Brands Forums

2015 Les Paul Classic

Hi,

Can somebody help me please?

I have a Les Paul. When I bought it I was told that it was a 2015 Classic. A number of people have seen it and said it can't be as it hasn't got "Les Paul 100" on the headstock and it doesn't have the hologram on the back of the headstock.

I would be grateful if anybody could help me identify it?

Many thanks.

A photo would help, jemstar555.

And a serial number.

That's the number embossed into the wood on the back of the headstock.

From there, the many experts on this forum can help you to solve this mystery.

:mellow:

Any ideas?

Do you have a picture of the whole body you could upload?

(by the way, if you copy the IMG link in photobucket into your post it will embed it).

Hmmm.. It is a bit weird... No hologram on the back and no 100 logo.. But all the other things about it do point to a 2015 Classic.. Zebra pups, boost switch, detachable pickguard, brass nut and G-Force...

Weird...

All I can think of is it could be part of a limited run made for a specific shop like Guitar Centre, or made for the Japanese market so not a normal USA run.. Like this Traditional https://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-les-paul-traditional-2015-2015-heritag

You should probably mail those pics to Gibson Customer Service.. They should be able to tell you more.

Hmmm.. It is a bit weird... No hologram on the back and no 100 logo.. But all the other things about it do point to a 2015 Classic.. Zebra pups, boost switch, detachable pickguard, brass nut and G-Force...

Weird...

All I can think of is it could be part of a limited run made for a specific shop like Guitar Centre, or made for the Japanese market so not a normal USA run.. Like this Traditional https://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-les-paul-traditional-2015-2015-heritag

You should probably mail those pics to Gibson Customer Service.. They should be able to tell you more.

Thanks very much!!

Hello!

It's Sprint Run model, maybe?

Bence.

No, it's not - sorry. :-k

That was my first thought too :) But no, they don't even have brass nuts...

It is quite odd, ive had a good look around and cant find anything exactly the same. The nearest is that Traditional Japan model.. so my thinking is Japan Classic??

Hopefully Gibson will respond.

Finally got a reply off Gibson:

The serial number is registered indeed for a guitar Gibson Les Paul Classic 2015 in Heritage Cherry Sunburst finish, made in 2015 in Nashville US. Your observation is correct the LP 100 and the hologram are not present for some reason ( no records), but we can confirm the guitar model you own is a LP Classic 2015.

???

Finally got a reply off Gibson:

The serial number is registered indeed for a guitar Gibson Les Paul Classic 2015 in Heritage Cherry Sunburst finish, made in 2015 in Nashville US. Your observation is correct the LP 100 and the hologram are not present for some reason ( no records), but we can confirm the guitar model you own is a LP Classic 2015.

???

Weird....

The thing is the 100 logo and Les Paul Hologram were two things people hated about the 2015s.. So its like you got the 2015 everyone wanted.. My guess would be that this was one of the last of the 2015 run and they ran out of Holograms so maybe the last few just had the normal logo with no hologram...

Its like sometimes you can buy a model way later than the year... So for instance I have a 2008 Standard that was made in 2010 :) With the 2015s they didn't go down too well and Gibson released the 2016s information like September last year and were in the shops a month later.. So it was an odd year to say the least.

Also in looking at pictures of your guitar, it does seem to have the wider 2015 neck (the extra space above and below the top and bottom E) so its definitely a 2015 model.

Oh well.. Id say, just play and enjoy it and don't worry about the rest :)

Just had another email off Gibson:

Thanks for contacting us. The serial number on your guitar, 150024061, shows in our system as a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic with a Heritage Cherry Sunburst finish. If that's what you have, then was your purchase a new or used purchase? If used, it's possible the original owner has modified the guitar by replacing the silkscreen and removing the hologram.

Well if it has been re-finished, its been done very very well...

So where did you buy it from? Can you get in touch with them and ask.. that's about the last thing to suggest...

Hello!

If You remove the truss rod cover, it might tell a bit more.

Gibson doesn't finishes the small cavity underneath the cover. If it's black too, the headstock is refinished for sure.

Of course, it depends on how accurate the person was who repainted it, if it was refinished at all.

Bence.

Archived