Gibson Brands Forums

Bone for EL-00 Pro

Zippydog

I have decided that I want to improve the sound even more on my recently purchased Epi Ltd. Edition EL-Pro.

Therefore I am in the market for replacement bridge saddle and nut in bone. Maybe pins later.

Has anybody here made the switch on their EL-00?

I would like an exact copy of whats on it now.

Would Epiphone offer replacements in bone for my model?

If not, can someone please recommend a source for these pieces that I could order straight away?

I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks.

Personally, I don't think the sound will improve by changing out the saddle and nut. I've done it before and have heard no difference. finding an exact replacement may be difficult. more than likely, you'll have to find something close and modify/shape it to fit. stew mac usually has a good supply of options.

I use a bone saddle in my EL 00 Pro. I switched it out 2 years ago from the factory saddle. Just bought a ready made bone saddle at Sam Ash Music. I was seeking to slightly raise the action to increase the instrument's volume, plus to give it the slightly fuller sound that bone provides (in my opinion). Am happy with the change I made, but it's really a personal and individual thing for each player or owner.

I've found that a few lessons and a LOT of practice go a lot further than marginal tinkering. But for some of us the swappin' out IS the game.Whatever blows your hair back!

I appreciate your advice I surely do.

You probably have been playing 29,000 times more than I have.

I've been at it for 2 years.

No doubt lessons can truly help beginners to start out right, I However I don't think a lesson that I undertake right now is going to change my ability to recognize a quality sound emanating from my guitar.

Now, if your saying Zip, don't waste your time, $ and effort on a myth that bone nuts, bridges and pins improve tonal quality, well that's a horse of a different color! I'm all ears.

If true then I guess there are countless numbers of folks playing and fussing with their guitars that are fooling themselves thinking that these changes do effect their sound.

To be totally clear, I'm not trying to entrap anyone here just really wanted to know where to find direct fit replacements in something other than plastic cause I'm really looking to blow my hair back lol!😀

There are no direct fit replacements. Take a set of the strings you use to a guy that you trust and have him re-nut and re-saddle it in bone.

rct

I've found that a few lessons and a LOT of practice go a lot further than marginal tinkering. But for some of us the swappin' out IS the game.Whatever blows your hair back!

I've played guitar since 1962, so changing a saddle isn't a matter of taking the place of a few lessons and a lot of practice. I've been there and done those things from wayyy back. The material of a saddle has a nuance affect, as does string height from a saddle, on an instrument and when one has played as long as I have, ensuring an instrument is appropriately nuanced helps create the sound I am after in my music with the guitar at whatever time I am using for it. However, I can appreciate your trying to provide both sides on the subject to Zippy, but he should be assured that this is not just something flippant to do to many an accomplished instrumentalist.

"Jazzman" Jeff aka QM

There are no direct fit replacements. Take a set of the strings you use to a guy that you trust and have him re-nut and re-saddle it in bone.

rct

Sounds like a plan.

Gracias!

Archived