Gibson Brands Forums

Les Pauls Addictive?

Ess

I just got my 4th Les Paul in less than 6 months, a Goldtop Studio 50s Tribute.

I love the feeling (and sound) of my worn finish Junior Special so much I decided I wanted another worn/satin finish LP, but in a different style. I've always liked Goldtops and I thought the 490/498 pups would give me another choice over the Burstbucker Pros in my Doublecut Classic, so I decided to go for the 50s Tribute.

Man, all my LPs are so different. The Jr Special appears the least impressive but is such a beast, with the slickest and most comfortable neck I've ever played and the gruntiest, loudest pups ever (original P90s).

I love the ultra minimalist look of my Special Doublecut but the 2015 wide neck is so hard to get used to and the new version P90s are very tame sounding.

The 50s Tribute is so bright and crisp you could almost mistake it for a Fender.

But my Standard DC is total, traditional Les Paul feel and sound.

Just for reference: The new 50s Tribute came with the 'baby photo' on the setup table at the factory. Was nicely setup and finished except for a very rough fret board (spent an hour sanding and polishing and it came up a treat). Has a heavy stopbar tail piece (not the ally version on the more expensive models). The satin finish feels great. The 50s neck profile also feels good even tho all my others have the 60s thin profile.

LPcollectionSml_zpsoqaix1be.png

Haha, you have it bad :)

And the answer is YES, Gibsons are addictive...

I have a Double Cut Faded and as you say, the neck on those is perfect.. So much fun to play... I also have a 60s Tribute Goldtop Studio a 2002 Classic 1960 and a 2008 Standard... all those guitar couldn't be more different in one way, yet they are all Gibsons through and through :)

What is odd is like you that all happened very quickly.. When I got my first LP back in about 1992 (a wine red studio) I was a one guitar guy.. Like, well I can only play one at a time.. Never felt the need to get loads of guitars for many years... Then in 2002 I got my Classic and the Studio was sold as I didn't play it any more... And it was actually cos the classic is such a heavy guitar, in about 2008/2009 I decided to get a lighter guitar to muck around on.. That's when I got my DC Faded.. And man oh man, that totally opened the flood gates for me... Between 2009 and 2012 I all of a suddenly ended up with 8 Gibsons :o it just happened...

Then I was out of work for a while and there was a couple I never quite bonded with and ended up with those four I mentioned above... And I loved them all so much.. All im really missing is a semi hollow, which I will get one day (maybe when I retire :))... And my dream is to get a CS 336 (hmmmmmmmm).

Im kinda over it all now.. I still drool over new Gibsons that I see (and old ones too :)) but I don't have that urge to buy any more...

Heres my four beauties... I did a quick side by side test to see if I could hear much difference.. And man that Classic has one hot bridge pickup, totally jumps out at you.

The red DC Classic has burstbucker pros.

I can't get over what an anomaly my Jr Special is. A cheap model I got from a pawn shop but it feels and sounds amazing. I guess the feel is partly the worn finish but also the ebony fretboard and frets are fantastic. I also suspect the SOLID slab body makes a big difference (no matter how much Gibsons marketing dept tells us weight relief is good). And those P90 sound like they are active pups, they have so much output.

Haha, you have it bad :)

And the answer is YES, Gibsons are addictive...

I have a Double Cut Faded and as you say, the neck on those is perfect.. So much fun to play... I also have a 60s Tribute Goldtop Studio a 2002 Classic 1960 and a 2008 Standard... all those guitar couldn't be more different in one way, yet they are all Gibsons through and through :)

What is odd is like you that all happened very quickly.. When I got my first LP back in about 1992 (a wine red studio) I was a one guitar guy.. Like, well I can only play one at a time.. Never felt the need to get loads of guitars for many years... Then in 2002 I got my Classic and the Studio was sold as I didn't play it any more... And it was actually cos the classic is such a heavy guitar, in about 2008/2009 I decided to get a lighter guitar to muck around on.. That's when I got my DC Faded.. And man oh man, that totally opened the flood gates for me... Between 2009 and 2012 I all of a suddenly ended up with 8 Gibsons :o it just happened...

Then I was out of work for a while and there was a couple I never quite bonded with and ended up with those four I mentioned above... And I loved them all so much.. All im really missing is a semi hollow, which I will get one day (maybe when I retire :))... And my dream is to get a CS 336 (hmmmmmmmm).

Im kinda over it all now.. I still drool over new Gibsons that I see (and old ones too :)) but I don't have that urge to buy any more...

Heres my four beauties... I did a quick side by side test to see if I could hear much difference.. And man that Classic has one hot bridge pickup, totally jumps out at you.

Ha ha... yes a similar collection... and yes I'm also lookin at a semi but my fav is the es339... and there is one on special (50% off) that I'm trying hard to resist.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I just got my Wine Red Classic and thought I'd take a family photo...

Yes there was an 'Intervention' and my rehab starts next week :(

LPfamily_zpszm8ghsyi.jpg

The red DC Classic has burstbucker pros.

I can't get over what an anomaly my Jr Special is. A cheap model I got from a pawn shop but it feels and sounds amazing. I guess the feel is partly the worn finish but also the ebony fretboard and frets are fantastic. I also suspect the SOLID slab body makes a big difference (no matter how much Gibsons marketing dept tells us weight relief is good). And those P90 sound like they are active pups, they have so much output.

Hmm, I don't think its so much the solid slab body but lack of maple top which is making the difference...

And indeed what I hear when I listen to my Double Cut Special is a darker sound.. And that's what the cap is meant to be there for, to add a brighter snap to the sound..

But yes.. they are great guitars.. There is something about a slab guitar which just makes them really playable.

Beautiful collection you have there man id be proud to own any of those guitars [thumbup]

• 1 month later...

Wish i had the room to store multiple guitars...and amps for that matter, but my simple set up consists of my Les Paul, my amp and my pedal board, and thats all......but to your question, Buying Les Pauls is probably one of the best addictions to have.

Archived