Gibson Brands Forums

Uke-Banjo Maybe Pre-War UB-2 or UB-3?

kidblast

the singer in my bands father inlaw passed recently

this was found in a closet, family is wondering if it's worth anything, I have suggested they contact Elderly, or just contact Gibson customer service but thought I'd post something here see if any of the gurus have any ideas

IMG_7648_zpsjnp1lf5q.jpg

looks like the body split and was repaired which I did mention would in fact effect appraised value

IMG_7653_zpsievvufpe.jpg

IMG_7651_zpsujr4jpr9.jpg

IMG_7652_zps7j9cofds.jpg

tpbiii here (Tom Barnwell) has a large collection of vintage banjo variants. You might try to PM him.

I would be surprised if it had any significant value. Things like this are primarily curiosities, unless it is a highly-desirable banjo model.

Edit: after a very quick search, it looks closest to a UB-3, judging by the board inlays. That logo suggests early 1930's, if the logo used on instruments like this followed the logo details on guitars.

Still doubt that it has much value, particularly given the condition

Hi,

I am no expert on this market, but I know a little. That is a UB-3 -- almost certainly made in the 20s.

We actually have a fair number of banjo ukes because (1) they were quite popular in the 1920s and (2) there were lots of them cheap in the flea markets in the 70s and 80s -- we have a bunch we use for decoration. We have two Gibsons: both UB-1s -- one large (like yours) and one small.

It is sort of a series of good news -- bad news.

Good news -- there is a collector market and the UB-3 is desirable

Bad news -- Damage like that is very serious for collectors

Good news -- there is a major rebirth in the uke market right now

Bad news -- it does not seem to extend to banjo ukes very much

In excellent conditions, the Vintage Guitar Price Guide (dealer estimate of retail asking price) is $1000-$1500. For one excellent condition, that means you could probably move it to a dealer for maybe $700-$800.

Yours is much more problematic -- if there is a player's market, I have not seen it, so your stuck with collectors who won't like the damage.

It is a totally cool instrument though -- and a high end model that is relatively rare.

I hope this helps.

Best,

-Tom

Archived