Gibson Brands Forums

Selector switch issue?

Guitarsnharleys

I recently installed a Jimmy Page harness in to my new SG and now find that when switch to the middle position, I only have the bridge pickup. Both pups work independently, but not together. I cannot check wiring to the pots, because the harness came prewired and connections are coated with blue plastic. All other connections are fine according to Seymore Duncan's 50's style JP setup. Not sure if the middle position worked right before as I changed out everything before checking that...

Hello and welcome here.

My guess would be a contact resistance at the switch. Perhaps some contact cleaner will do. Over the years some brand-new guitars of mine had this problem, contact cleaner always fixed that, and for one of my Gibson USA Les Paul guitars it took a lot.

To avoid contact spring fatigue, it's a good idea to keep the toggle switch in the middle position when the guitar is not played. The eldest toggle switch is the stock part of my 1978 S-G Standard. I treated it a few times with contact cleaner over the years, and it is still fine.

Hi, thanks. Thanks for the tip on leaving the toggle in the middle when not in use. I jumped the leads on the switch and it worked! So I removed the switch and bent the inside plate towards the neck contact. All is well with the world now! Thing sounds awesome with Duncan's Whole Lotta Humbuckers in it btw...

Archived