Gibson Brands Forums

Favourite SG guitarist?

merciful-evans

Crazy notion, but I certainly do.

Mick Abrahams. Mick was the original Jethro Tull guitarist (1st album only) and had success with his next band Blodwyn Pig.

This link is from The later 1971 Mick Abrahams Band album.

seasons

Mick's solo is at 8.18

There is another unusual unaccompanied solo at 3.44

Easy.. Angus Young, one of my favourite guitarists ever regardless of what he plays :)

Anyone that can do this deserves my respect :) (he does all this stuff while playing note perfect solos, amazing)... If you've never seen these clips watch them.. Hes just insane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAnxTM9dIGI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJLRFQOra7U

Now a days I'd maybe go with Derek Trucks too. He is a master!

But that old Peter.

Who?

Mr.Townshend. He'd have to get my vote. Wrote the book, wore out the shirt. Taught a lot of us a thing or three.

Are you talking "Favorite Guitarist(s)" that have used SG's? Or, Favorite Guitarist that (pretty much) use the SG exclusively?

The former, would be Eric Clapton, during his "Fool SG" using period (Crossroads, on Wheels of Fire, etc.), although

I love what George Harrison did, on his SG during that phase, with The Beatles, as well.

The latter, would probably be either Mick Abrahams (Blodwyn Pig), or Derek Trucks. Robbie Krieger, comes to mind,

as well. He did some nice work, with the SG in The Doors! Same Andrew with Big Brother, and who could forget Carlos

Santana, at Woodstock, with his SG Special!

But, I'm "Fickle," as I have a LOT of "Favorite Guitarists," that have used SG's, and many other guitars.

CB

Are you talking "Favorite Guitarist(s)" that have used SG's? Or, Favorite Guitarist that (pretty much) use the SG exclusively?

The former, would be Eric Clapton, during his "Fool SG" using period (Crossroads, on Wheels of Fire, etc.), although

I love what George Harrison did, on his SG during that phase, with The Beatles, as well.

The latter, would probably be either Mick Abrahams (Blodwyn Pig), or Derek Trucks. Robbie Krieger, comes to mind,

as well. He did some nice work, with the SG in The Doors! Same Andrew with Big Brother, and who could forget Carlos

Santana, at Woodstock, with his SG Special!

But, I'm "Fickle," as I have a LOT of "Favorite Guitarists," that have used SG's, and many other guitars.

CB

Harrison & Clapton used SGs? [omg]

Harrison & Clapton used SGs? [omg]

EC back in his "Garage Band" days, shown with "The Fool" SG.

George (and John) seen with SG...George used it for the solo on Hey Bulldog.

There WAS a more "Live" version of this session, that doesn't seem to be on

YouTube anymore. These "stills" were taken from that session, among other's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn1XwbFwvMA

There are other videos out, there (Paperback Writer/Rain) that show George

with his SG, as well.

CB

[biggrin] Getting out, "His Angry Bits!" [flapper][biggrin]

And I STILL (generally) prefer his Gibson/Marshall tone, to this day!

But, that's just Me!

CB

Haha yeah.. I always have to remember when watching old videos like this that the guitarist in question didn't have the internet and probably no dedicated magazines or anything.. So the words they use to describe tone are their own :) (and we all know its sometimes hard to describe sounds)...

And yes, I also prefer his Gibson tone.. He didn't often play them but id say the same about Hendrix. When I have heard him playing a Gibson it sounds awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAWtuxhdUDE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NSscinP0Ww

Well, Eric and Jimi sound like themselves, no matter what they play, or play through, for sure!

But, I've just always preferred EC's "Cream" era tone, to a lot of that of later years. But...

some of the Strat and Fender amp(s) tones he gets are Awesome! So, it's kind of a case by case

basis, regarding particular songs and approach, I guess.

I thought it was interesting, in the "interview" section, of the "Live at the Albert Hall" reunion

DVD, that Jack Bruce said "they tried it, in rehearsals, using the old Marshall Stacks, and his EB-3

bass, and they all felt it just didn't "work!" I can see that, with their current (newer) play lists,

but to reproduce the "Cream" stuff, I can't fathom, going "old school" not "working?!" [unsure]

I guess it boiled down to where their "heads" were at, at that time, compared to where they were,

in the Cream years? Who knows? But, to me, the reunion gigs, as GREAT as they were, were a bit

downplayed=less "ballsy/energetic" tone wise, from the original era's sound.

But, again...that's just Me! [tongue][biggrin]

CB

I've got a lot of fave guitarists that have used SGs at some point in their career... Clapton, Harrison, Townshend, Betts, etc....

But, as far as guitarists who pretty much played exclusively, and are thus immediately associated with the SG, I'd give the nod to this guy:

Robby-630x420.jpg

For me one of the reason to pickup an SG was that guy

Ivar Peersen Bjornson of the progressive metal band Enslaved

I like his tone and chords vocabulary; can clearly hear the 70s progressive rock influences in their music

Enslaved-Cruise-Ivar-Bjørnson-credit-Finn-Arne-Nystad.jpg

Iommi hands down for me.

I like that enslaved got a mention. Great guitar work. I can't spell his name and I'm too lazy at the moment to google. But enslaved is a really great band and your right about the progressive elements and influence.

But none of it would have happened without iommi! The man is a metal God. And what a cool cool guy. Just a chill cool guy. I mean think about the bands that took direct influence from sabbath. It's ridiculous. They changed classic rock into something darker and that paved the way for anything heavy.

Obviously angus young and zz top etc, but their influence hasn't shaped music like iommis has. In my opinion of course. And u know what they say.... Opinions are like as***les, everybody got one.

Archived