Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphonic Six preamp replacement (AJ-45 Korea 1998)

Twopelu

Hi all,

First post in the forum, I have searched for this but I haven't found any valid answers out there, help needed :-)

I have recently bought an Epiphone AJ-45 made in Korea in 1998. The problem is that the Epiphonic Six preamp doesn't work, the previous owner had the battery in for so long and it got sulphated (not sure if it's a proper word in english hehe).

I really love this guitar, is not the best acoustic in the world and I own others, but this has its vibe and looks great, with some scars and history beyond it. And which is more important, the neck is perfect for my aching hands (synovitis in left hand joints).

Two options here:

- get a replacement, which seems to be almost impossible, I haven't found any on the net close to my country (Spain).

- find something compatible, which is also quite difficult because of the particular measures of the hole in the wood.

I was wondering if anyone out there has the same problem. I'm open to any ideas like removing the preamp and find something to cover the hole, it's ok if the guitar remains only as acoustic without preamp (indeed, I usually prefer acoustic guitars rather electric-acoustic, keep it simple).

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Dani

Welcome to the forum! If it were my guitar, I'd remove the electronics. Then I'd have a luthier fit a replacement fill made from wood and that would closely match the grain of the rim into the resulting hole. Once finished, it should look pretty good and, in my opinion, less obnoxious than all those plastic controls did in the first place. Remove the end pin Jack, plug that hole with some quarter inch dowel stock, drill a small hole in the plug, install a conventional strap button, and be done with it. Otherwise, there may be someone on the forum who has a more acoustic-electric friendly attitude than I do that can offer advice about how to preserve the original options.

Hi and welcome. This may be a dumb question, but why do anything at all? You say that you're happy playing unplugged so why not just leave it as is, it's not doing any harm. If you really need to plug in there are many soundhole pickups to choose from. As suggested you can get a luthier to remove the preamp and fill in the hole but it is it really worth spending that money on an 18 year old battle scarred guitar? I think I would be inclined to just enjoy your guitar as it is.

Thanks for your replies, really appreciate that!

The option of removing the electronics and fixing the holes sounds good, but also expensive. It may not worth it expending that much on an old inexpensive guitar... I would strongly prefer finding some compatible or replacement preamp that I could change with my own hands :-)

Regards,

Dani

Archived