Gibson Brands Forums

Goldtop comes alive!

Watersilk

I love Les Paul's, I absolutely love them!

My first was a Reissue '59, in Extra Faded Cherry. Lovely to hold, the full neck profile comfortable to play, but I just didn't gel with it. Unplugged I could hear great tone, however this just wasn't coming through the pickups.

Last year, I bought a secondhand 2007 '57 Reissue, a Goldtop. I preferred the pickups on this to the '59, they seemed a little brighter, but otherwise this one also sounded nice, but still not outstanding.

Considering that both these guitars are expensive, I suppose my expectations were rather high.

image_zpscifhorvy.jpeg

IMG_1183_zpszp1gczyb.jpg

I decided to have some modifications done to see if I could squeeze out the potential that was clearly there, as if waiting to be unleashed…..

First I had an Earvana nut fitted, and a Callaham milled ABR1 bridge. Playing unplugged, it was louder, with more sustain, really ringing. Then came electronics from RS Guitarworks, pots and oip caps. Then a set of Tom Holmes vintage style humbuckers, unpotted.

image_zpsz6zxzd9d.jpeg

image_zpstupx039e.jpeg

Playing this guitar through a Vox AC30, the hardwired combo, just the normal channel, in 15 watts mode, at low volume even, it's truly a revelation! I now understand what all the fuss is about, the richness of tone, the harmonics and that typical Les Paul sound, there is a drawback though, it's now so sensitive and revealing, that any mistake is painfully exposed!

image_zpsnnfiape3.jpeg

As a matter of interest, for those living in the South East of England, I had the work done by Feline Guitars in Croydon, Surrey; I can absolutely recommend them, now the fourth time I've had work done there.

I can't wait to give my '59 Extra Faded Cherry a similar treatment, with different pickups though, otherwise they will sound the same.

I just LOVE these guitars!!!!

Guest Farnsbarns

Cool. I know Feline. Just round the corner from Martin Phelps guitars and my cousins woodwind shop on the other side of the road.

Do you live near Croydon?

Cool. I know Feline. Just round the corner from Martin Phelps guitars and my cousins woodwind shop on the other side of the road.

Do you live near Croydon?

Hello Farnsbarns, always a pleasure to hear from you. I'm staying with my mother in Wanstead, north east London, I have a house in Green Street Green, Kent, just South of Orpington. I'm still living in Namibia, I should be back again in September, I leave on the 30th of May for Africa.

At the moment, I'm building a Telecaster, my first guitar build, I've had to buy even the most basic of tools, make a workbench too, so I'm unlikely to finish this guitar before I leave. If you like, we could meet up in September and I can buy you a drink?

It's so strange, the guitar model that has featured on almost all of my favourite music is a late fifties Les Paul, until just the other day, I just couldn't get the sounds I wanted, and expected from my '59 Reissue, it sounded good, no doubts about that, but exceptional, no. I've hardly played it. You know that feeling when you have the urge to play, the Les Paul would never be that guitar I wanted to pick up. It was just outshined by the other guitars I have. This Goldtop is now perhaps the best guitar in my modest collection, after receiving it back from Feline it has just surpassed my expectations of what a 'nice' Les Paul should be.... Sorry, to go on, I'm just completely overwhelmed by this guitar!

Yup, Tom's pickups will do that.

Hello Tim, have you also fitted a set of Tom Holmes' pickups? The price was very high, I waited months, but well worth both the price and wait!

I have a set of Joe Bonnamassa pickups waiting to go in the '59 Reissue, I will also change the bridge to a Callaham on that one too, it will then be interesting to compare both guitars.

To be honest, I don't really know how much the bridge contributes because I had both bridge and pickups fitted at the same time, however from previous modifications I know that sometimes one changing one part can have a minimal difference, it's the sum of the parts which add up. I strongly believe that it's when the right parts work together that each individual part builds on the other parts, making the whole completely outway the affect of the individual parts.

I think without a doubt, the biggest influence on tone is Tom's pickups, but I've changed pickups on a guitar before, they don't have much of an influence until you change the electrics and upgrade at least the nut.

The more I play this guitar, the more I appreciate it. Some people believe that tone is in a player's fingers, this is nonsense, sound-shaping is in the players fingers, tone comes from the guitar!

This setup is really going to help improve my playing ability :)

Guest Farnsbarns

Hello Farnsbarns, always a pleasure to hear from you. I'm staying with my mother in Wanstead, north east London, I have a house in Green Street Green, Kent, just South of Orpington. I'm still living in Namibia, I should be back again in September, I leave on the 30th of May for Africa.

At the moment, I'm building a Telecaster, my first guitar build, I've had to buy even the most basic of tools, make a workbench too, so I'm unlikely to finish this guitar before I leave. If you like, we could meet up in September and I can buy you a drink?

It's so strange, the guitar model that has featured on almost all of my favourite music is a late fifties Les Paul, until just the other day, I just couldn't get the sounds I wanted, and expected from my '59 Reissue, it sounded good, no doubts about that, but exceptional, no. I've hardly played it. You know that feeling when you have the urge to play, the Les Paul would never be that guitar I wanted to pick up. It was just outshined by the other guitars I have. This Goldtop is now perhaps the best guitar in my modest collection, after receiving it back from Feline it has just surpassed my expectations of what a 'nice' Les Paul should be.... Sorry, to go on, I'm just completely overwhelmed by this guitar!

It would most certainly be cool to meet up. Do remind me nearer the time that you're coming back we'll sort it. Myself, flight 959 and Pippy occasionally go to an open mic not far from Feline. Perhaps we could all meet up there.

It would most certainly be cool to meet up. Do remind me nearer the time that you're coming back we'll sort it. Myself, flight 959 and Pippy occasionally go to an open mic not far from Feline. Perhaps we could all meet up there.

Hey this sounds perfect! When is the next open mic evening? Or rather, when was 'Mic' even last opened?

Hey this sounds perfect! When is the next open mic evening? Or rather, when was 'Mic' even last opened?

If this happens please invite me along. Farns I think we've discussed before that I'm not far from you (mid sussex!) so a quick train journey up is not an issue!

Rabs is in the London area as well!

Hello,

I live pretty near to Wanstead (nice area to live in)....

So you are building a guitar? Well if you need any help please let me know.. I have many tools and lots of wood and bits and bobs...

I actually live in Chingford but my parents (where my "workshop" is ) are in Redbridge, just around the corner to you...

So if you need anything let me know...

In case you hadn't seen ive been building for a few years now.. If you want to try any of my guitars id welcome the extra input, you can see my builds here https://www.facebook.com/RabsWoodGuitars/

Guest Farnsbarns

If this happens please invite me along. Farns I think we've discussed before that I'm not far from you (mid sussex!) so a quick train journey up is not an issue!

Rabs is in the London area as well!

We did discuss this. We live literally 5 miles apart. We should make this happen. I've already met up with Rabs a couple of times. I've also met Pippy and Flight959 many times, and GaryMooreTribute, once, and Tman a couple of times now. It seems I'm the meet people person!

1463495820[/url]' post='1770100']

Hello,

I live pretty near to Wanstead (nice area to live in)....

So you are building a guitar? Well if you need any help please let me know.. I have many tools and lots of wood and bits and bobs...

I actually live in Chingford but my parents (where my "workshop" is ) are in Redbridge, just around the corner to you...

So if you need anything let me know...

In case you hadn't seen ive been building for a few years now.. If you want to try any of my guitars id welcome the extra input, you can see my builds here https://www.facebook...absWoodGuitars/

Rabs.........! Are you the half and half guy? The one who makes guitars from two types of wood, half one, half the other? The luthier forum??

I'm really struggling with the body at the moment, it's not a particularly nice example of Sapele or whatever it is, I bought it as Mahogany, but I'm quite sure it's not. I'd bought a really dense heavy body, then saw this one and thought a light one would also be an interesting experience, but it's quite fibrous, so many holes which I filled with grain filler, black! The idea was to produce an early fifties Telecaster, but I think being used to Les Pauls and PRS carved bodies I couldn't resist rounding off the edges and carving body, forearm and lower bout contours. The slab-like tele body has morphed into a silky, sexy sculpture that feels comfortable.

Perhaps I should strip my Les Pauls and give them the same treatment... Only joking!

I might well take you up on the offer, I'm really unsure how to solder the electrics. What are you doing at the weekend? Perhaps you could come over and try my Goldtop and give some building advice?

Rabs.........! Are you the half and half guy? The one who makes guitars from two types of wood, half one, half the other? The luthier forum??

I'm really struggling with the body at the moment, it's not a particularly nice example of Sapele or whatever it is, I bought it as Mahogany, but I'm quite sure it's not. I'd bought a really dense heavy body, then saw this one and thought a light one would also be an interesting experience, but it's quite fibrous, so many holes which I filled with grain filler, black! The idea was to produce an early fifties Telecaster, but I think being used to Les Pauls and PRS carved bodies I couldn't resist rounding off the edges and carving body, forearm and lower bout contours. The slab-like tele body has morphed into a silky, sexy sculpture that feels comfortable.

Perhaps I should strip my Les Pauls and give them the same treatment... Only joking!

I might well take you up on the offer, I'm really unsure how to solder the electrics. What are you doing at the weekend? Perhaps you could come over and try my Goldtop and give some building advice?

The half n half guy (I like that).. Yup that's me :D

Yeah could be cool.. How about Sunday?

Yeah, Sapele is kind of a Mahogany, Gibson have used it.. There are several woods that you could call Mahogany which are very closely related to the "Genuine" Mahogany that comes from South America. I myself really really like this wood called Utile (youtilly) it has a really beautiful grain and all the other working properties of Mahogany (as in how it cuts)..

If you want I have loads of wood, I can give you enough for a body and neck blank....

Let me know on the weekend (maybe PM me since the whole forum doesn't need to read all this :) (I will bring a few of my guitars so you can try them)

We did discuss this. We live literally 5 miles apart. We should make this happen. I've already met up with Rabs a couple of times. I've also met Pippy and Flight959 many times, and GaryMooreTribute, once, and Tman a couple of times now. It seems I'm the meet people person!

So close! What you reckon - start up a post for a meeting?

Archived