Gibson Brands Forums

Sometimes the SG just really grabs my ears

SteveT2

I have an SG, LP and a Strat. I like all of them for different reasons. For amps I have a new Bassbreaker in the living room and a Blackstar HT20 in the spare room. Out of the 3 I'd say the SG isn't quite as versatile but when I play it something in my ears just perks right up. On either amp it just has this growly, snappy sound that just screams out " listen to me " Gotta like that

They're just a classic electric guitar and if you come upon the right one it will remain a preferred choice imho. There's no question they are and always have been one the most comfortable electrics to play. At least for me since one might see it differently, but imho there are no more comfortable electrics to play than the SG and Strat. So its a matter of the right SG or Strat and bonding.

From there its a matter of overcoming various issues of the usual type, looks, pick-ups etc. [thumbup]

I'd have to agree that SGs are more comfortable than LPs (and Strats for that matter). To my eyes at least, they look better too (except for the DCs that is).

I love the upper fret access of the SG. But the neck of my Strat is the best feeling one. The tone of the 57 Classic pickups in the LP are really smooth even when they're screaming. I like all of them but when it comes to in your face screaming tone the SG just grabs you

• 2 weeks later...

I feel you on that. I've always like the way SG's sounded. I prefer their sound over Les Paul's. There's some frequency there that my ears like. I just bought a 2004 standard in HC. Its not my first SG but it's my first "standard" Gibson with all the toys lol

• 2 months later...

They're just a classic electric guitar and if you come upon the right one it will remain a preferred choice imho. There's no question they are and always have been one the most comfortable electrics to play. At least for me since one might see it differently, but imho there are no more comfortable electrics to play than the SG and Strat. So its a matter of the right SG or Strat and bonding.

From there its a matter of overcoming various issues of the usual type, looks, pick-ups etc. [thumbup]

I agree. I have a 2009 Fender Special Strat and a 2012 black SG Standard, and both perfectly compliment each other. The also compliment my rig which is a Hughes & Kettner 20 Watt Combo with 2 x Orange PP112 Speakers.

I recently played a friends SG for the first time. And now I want one. I never been a huge fan of the design but there is something about it that just makes play a different way.

It's amazing how just the appearance of a guitar makes you play differently. For example my Kramer I can not resist to try to play Van Halen for obvious reasons but i could easily use it for other styles but I tend not to.

Archived