Gibson Brands Forums

57 Black Beauty RI

jtovaglo

Hi, first time posting here so apologies for any dumb questions!

I've recently been lucky enough to purchase a nice clean 2003 model 57 Black Beauty RI & have a few questions I'm hoping some of you knowledgeable folk may be able me with. I've tried searching stuff myself but seem to find mixed answers. I've also emailed Customer service with serial & pics but they only advised the model code & that it was shipped 6/9/2003.

Can anyone tell me what pickups & electronics this year would have had? Seems to be some info suggest 57 Classics, others say Burstbuckers? Also caps & pots? Has CTS pots & Orange drop caps fitted, but I'm not sure they are the original parts. Pots read EP686 500k 1045, caps 223J 1018.From my understanding the last 4 digits will be date code & these both start with 10, so assuming these are 2010?

Also curious about a couple of areas on neck & body where the ebony finish meets the binding, there is a red staining I am assuming is sealer or glue or something, maybe showing through as the finish is thin?

The guy I purchased off was not really a player, and had no idea what he had, he just thought it was a Custom. He purchased from US approx. 5 years ago & brought it back to Australia, but didn't ask or know any real details.

Thanks in advance if anyone can shed any light for me. Cheers!

post-78750-035436100 1463294875_thumb.jpg

post-78750-021754000 1463294896_thumb.jpg

post-78750-045327800 1463294917_thumb.jpg

post-78750-070466400 1463294939_thumb.jpg

'57 Classics. Burstbuckers have additional white stickers on them.

Aftermarket pots/caps. Factory pots have numbers on the sides, not back.

Can't help with the last question, sorry. Hard to tell from my phone. Have you tried cleaning it? Naphtha works well.

'57 Classics. Burstbuckers have additional white stickers on them.

Aftermarket pots/caps. Factory pots have numbers on the sides, not back.

Can't help with the last question, sorry. Hard to tell from my phone. Have you tried cleaning it? Naphtha works well.

Thanks for replying Tim.

I suspected as much with the electronics.

I've only tried cleaning with the Gibson polish to date,was worried about damaging the nitro finish using anything else, and it looked more to be under the finish. Maybe I'll give this a go.

Couldn't be happier with the guitar though, sounds & plays amazing!

Archived