Gibson Brands Forums

Less flamey flame top?

landstrom27

I have a 2013 LP standard plus in honeyburst flame top I got about 2 years ago. I've actually come to like plain tops better. When I have mine in cerain lighting and/or at a certain angle, the flaming is barely visble and looks great to me. But then you look at it from another angle the flames become overbearing tiger stripey and gaudy looking. There are even times when half the body looks plain and the other half flamey as hell. There's probably nothing I can do but have it refinished, or is there? I've seen where people have put their lp's in the sun to give them a faded look, but it don't seem to do anything to the flameyness. Is there anything I can do besides refinish it?

No.. not much you can do but paint it a darker or solid colour..

Of course this will de-value your guitar but if you don't care about that then do what you want...

I don't think anyone else on here as ever had this complaint before...

Or just don't look at it at the angle that shows the flame.. Then it wont bother you any more?? :)

Have any of you guys or gals that have sun faded your LP noticed any difference in the flames. I'd also like mine to fade slightly and the finish to be less glossy. Sun fading seems to take some of the glossiness out, yes? But before and after pics I've seen, the flaminess stays about the same. Has this been your experience?

Have any of you guys or gals that have sun faded your LP noticed any difference in the flames. I'd also like mine to fade slightly and the finish to be less glossy. Sun fading seems to take some of the glossiness out, yes? But before and after pics I've seen, the flaminess stays about the same. Has this been your experience?

Yer way overthinking this. Trade it for a guitar you like to look at.

rct

Rabs, I dont think I'd resort to refinishing or repainting. If I had the funds, I'd get the used 2012 iced tea '58 vos plain top I saw at my local guitar center (Daveport, Ia) for $3000 and then sell the one i have, but that a little out of reach at the moment, unfortunately. I think I prefer the slimmer 60's neck but the thicker 58 neck dont bother me

I'd post a pic of mine but my phone takes too hi res pics to post here. Does Gibson make any LP standards plain top? I know there are r8's and traditional plain tops, I wonder why no standards. Oh well, I'm sure that iced tea R8 will be long gone before i could come up with the cash. Not sure how well i would like the fatter neck on th r8. Is that something that you get used to the more you play it?

I'd post a pic of mine but my phone takes too hi res pics to post here. Does Gibson make any LP standards plain top? I know there are r8's and traditional plain tops, I wonder why no standards. Oh well, I'm sure that iced tea R8 will be long gone before i could come up with the cash. Not sure how well i would like the fatter neck on th r8. Is that something that you get used to the more you play it?

Use an account at a web photo provider, upload your pics there and link them here.

Anyway, I think sound and playability are far more important than looks. I spend a fair multiple of time playing my guitars than looking at them.

Fading it is never going to alter the flame top, because the "flames" are part of the timber and the way it's been cut. Is this really such a problem for you? After all, you've lived with the guitar for two years so I'm guessing that you like the way it plays and sounds.

I'm of the opinion of "if it ain't broke don't try and fix it" but maybe you just want a new guitar, which is fine, if that's what you want.

Ian

I think this would be an excuse to go and buy a plaintop; keep the HB as she is and appreciate her for how she looks, and do the same for the new one, too msp_biggrin.gif

Failing that; trade one for the other if you really can't get on with the original, and I cannot be too emphatic about saying really.

Use an account at a web photo provider, upload your pics there and link them here.

Anyway, I think sound and playability are far more important than looks. I spend a fair multiple of time playing my guitars than looking at them.

No worries there, I maintain ample time out busy schedule of looking at my guitars for actually playing them. As far as sound and playability, it has met, if not exceeded my expectations. I do wonder how it would sound with some P94's

Fading it is never going to alter the flame top, because the "flames" are part of the timber and the way it's been cut. Is this really such a problem for you? After all, you've lived with the guitar for two years so I'm guessing that you like the way it plays and sounds.

I'm of the opinion of "if it ain't broke don't try and fix it" but maybe you just want a new guitar, which is fine, if that's what you want.

No, not so much that I would sell it. I do really like the guitar. I may try giving it a little sun, flaming looks very reddish when it is most visible, but only after careful consideration and only a slight fade to get a little red out.

Ian

Yeah, go for a plain top if you like them. They're really nice. [thumbup] [thumbup]

If had the dough, I'd get that 58 vos

Ian

I must have had some preconceived notion they use some technique to bring out the flames, but that's the way it naturally looks when it is finished.

I must have had some preconceived notion they use some technique to bring out the flames, but that's the way it naturally looks when it is finished.

Actually they do... In order to get the flame to "pop" they put a dark stain on first and sand it most of it back.. Im not too sure if Gibson will use this method or not but its a very common way of doing it... Either way it would mean refinishing your guitar.. You are better off to trade it for one you do like id say.

I've seen where people have put their lp's in the sun to give them a faded look, but it don't seem to do anything to the flameyness.

My tech suggested putting my Epi ES339 in indirect sunlight to bring out the grain, so I think your proposed solution would do just the opposite of what you want!

Actually, i probably wouldnt mind if the grain came out a little more. A lot of the before and afters Ive seen, the flames and grain didn't seem to change much, mainly just made the finish lighter. Some of the more extreme fades ive seen, the burst was just about gone. If you do fade mine it will only be slight. They probably used the color fast dye on mine, so it may take prolonged periods of sun to get it to fade. I may give it an hour or two of sun soon and if it seem to be changing in a way like, then maybe give it a little more sun. If, not I'll just leave it the way it is. I'll get some pics up soon

Archived