Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul problem

NHRoccodog

,I recently bought a Gibson 2016 standard t and I realized the stop bar tailpiece was too high so I adjusted it. While I was lowering it, the screws were really hard to turn because I didn't realize I forgot to loosen the strings before doing so. Ever since that I've been loosening the strings before so it was just that one time I forgot to. The guitar is set up perfectly and everything is fine but I'm still worried that something broke was messed up from the tension I was forcing the screws. My private teacher who has had a les Paul for 20 years says its all good but I'm still worried that all that forced tension messed something up. What do you guys think? Should I be worried or is nothing wrong? Thanks

... The guitar is set up perfectly and everything is fine but I'm still worried that something broke was messed up from the tension I was forcing the screws. ....

Relax. A lot of players overtighten with the tuning pegs when restringing to stretch the strings - nothing more than that.

You've said the set up is perfect and everything is fine. Is there something you're not telling - broken strings, strange sounds, bent hardware, chipped finish?

I sometimes adjust my bridge height higher without loosening stings, and then tune. The strings are just stretching a bit and should be fine. If they get over stretched, the strings break - you haven't mentioned any problems so . . . relax.

I agree with the previous posters, and with your guitar teacher;

It sounds like you are fine, and no damage was done.

And if the guitar plays well, stays in tune, and sound right, then life is good.

That said, if the Les Paul sulks and demonstrates a bad attitude towards you for the next few weeks, there's a slight chance that you did some emotional (if not quite physical) damage.

Gibsons are proud guitars, so there's a chance that you won't even notice a difference in her attitude, but I would stay on my toes if I were you.

Have you taken the guitar out to lunch lately, and told her that she looks pretty?

Just saying.......

:unsure:

Lowering the bridge and tailpiece without loosening strings shouldn't result in any issues. In fact it shouldn't be tight or hard to turn them if you're indeed turning them the right way to lower the bridge or tailpiece.

Unless you were turning the wrong way and we're raising the tailpiece. That might feel hard to turn without loosening the strings. It would also take a LOT of force to turn it hard enough to break strings or damage anything.

As other said I also make small adjustments without loosening strings. Easier to make them with less tension though.

Now, the one thing I would never touch without first loosening strings is the truss rod. That would be dangerous.

I agree with the previous posters, and with your guitar teacher;

It sounds like you are fine, and no damage was done.

And if the guitar plays well, stays in tune, and sound right, then life is good.

That said, if the Les Paul sulks and demonstrates a bad attitude towards you for the next few weeks, there's a slight chance that you did some emotional (if not quite physical) damage.

Gibson's are proud guitars, so there's a chance that you won't even notice a difference in her attitude, but I would stay on my toes if I were you.

Have you taken the guitar out to lunch lately, and told her that she looks pretty?

Just saying.......

:unsure:

I would need to see a picture of the headstock and bridge before making an informed decision. :-)

I would need to see a picture of the headstock and bridge before making an informed decision. :-)

A wise and prudent course of action, deeman.

And would I support that line of reasoning whole-heartedly, normally.

But in the case of NHRoccodog's concern, I tend to believe that x-rays of the wood beneath the bridge would be far more revealing and beneficial to settling the matter at hand.

Truth be told though, that could turn out to be a costly and frustrating endeavor.

And in the end, totally un-warranted.

He reports that the guitar acts just fine, and submitting the guitar for such a high-technical fluoroscopy could well run into the thousands of dollars.

And the guitar-whisperer in me says that his Les Paul is just fine.

I'm just trusting my gut on this one, sir.

:huh:

A wise and prudent course of action, deeman.

And would I support that line of reasoning whole-heartedly, normally.

But in the case of NHRoccodog's concern, I tend to believe that x-rays of the wood beneath the bridge would be far more revealing and beneficial to settling the matter at hand.

Truth be told though, that could turn out to be a costly and frustrating endeavor.

And in the end, totally un-warranted.

He reports that the guitar acts just fine, and submitting the guitar for such a high-technical fluoroscopy could well run into the thousands of dollars.

And the guitar-whisperer in me says that his Les Paul is just fine.

I'm just trusting my gut on this one, sir.

:huh:

Basically after I lowered the tail piece without loosening the strings, I asked my private teacher to set up it up for me to make sure and this is how it looks like now. Ps he knows what he's doing and the neck is bowed a little because the action is a little low, but I like it like that so I can shred and sweep. Here are some pictures of the headstock and bridge below. You guys think it's all good?

2zele8p.jpg

6ittom.jpg

They sell guitars and cameras to anyone these days.

rct

I know,, Right?? LOL!

NHRocodog,

it's really easy to over think things, seriously, you'd know by now if something got messed up!

Archived