Gibson Brands Forums

Drving cross country from New York to Washington...things to see?

dem00n

I haven't posted here in a while...but I'd give it a shot for old times sake.

I'll be driving across the country from New York to Washington for a 10 week internship.

I know we have members from all over the world, so I'm curious if you guys would know of any thing to do in these states as i drive by them. If i can't do it next week, than on the way back is possible.

I'll be crossing Pennsylvania, Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, and lastly Washington.

It could be anything, I'd be interested to see what you guys say.

Thanks.

Some years ago, I drove across country from California to Connecticut, and then back again a little over a year later. Unfortunately, I was in a hurry each time—had no $$$ for sight-seeing, etc. I also took a different route than you are taking—a more southerly route, each time: CA > AZ > NM > TX > OK > MO > IL > IN > OH > PA > NY > CT.

A couple things jumped out at me, with regard to where your route is taking you through.... Maybe the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in OH? If at all interested in history (which I am), you could stop at The Little Big Horn "battlefield" in Montana and see the place where the glory-seeking Gen. Custer got his 7th Cavalry massacred by the Sioux.

Other than those two things, I don't know.

Have fun!

Washington of course the Capitol, Lincoln Memorial, John F Kennedy Center for the performing Arts. I don't know what you've seen or how much time you have or what your interests are. We were just through that whole trip last fall on a Moosetach bus tour. Deb and I went up in the Statue of Liberty, visited Ellis Island. Saw Niagra Falls from the Canadian side and took a boat ride up in the falls. At night it's lit up and we ate at the skylone tower. It rotates and you get great photos of the falls as it turns. Lots to do and see in New York. Pennsylvania has the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh has the Carnegie museums and Heinz Field stadium. Gettysburg National Military Park. Ohio has the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Cincinnati Zoo and Art Museum. Illinois we went up in the Willis Tower. It has all glass elevators including the floor. Of course there stationary up on top but it's a view up there and great photos. Chicago has a lot to do and see. We took a tour of the historic area where Al Capone and the Mafia gangs were. Saint Valentine Days shooting. Navy Pier, Buckingham Fountain, Shedd Aquarium, Riverwalk, Lake Michigan. Wisconsin, we went to Wisconsin Dells, Harley Davidson Museum, Green Bay Packer Hall of Fame, Riverside Park, Milwaukee County Zoo, and they have a River Walk in Milwaukee too. Deb and I went through the House on the Rock. That was so cool. A guy built his house on a rock and it goes in a deep cave showing all his millions of dollar collections. I would defiantly go to that again. He even has a working merry go round way down under. Model ships, it's incredible. Minnesota has Mall of America, that will take a day to go through. It even has an amusement park in the middle. North Dakoda has the Theodore Roosevelt Park, Heritage Center, Painted Canyon Overlook, Roosevelt Park Zoo, international Peace Garden, North Dakota Cowboy Hall of Fame. The biggest thing like I said is how much time you have to sight see and whereabouts you are at the time. Have fun and enjoy your trip.

I'll be driving across the country from New York to Washington for a 10 week internship.

I know we have members from all over the world, so I'm curious if you guys would know of any thing to do in these states as i drive by them. If i can't do it next week, than on the way back is possible.

I'll be crossing Pennsylvania, Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, and lastly Washington.

Thanks.

We've crossed the country 7 times.

I can't really tell you what there is to do in all of these states. At some point or another we had things to do in each of them, but they might not interest you at all.

For your first time across it is best to just enjoy the ride and the incredible beauty of this country once you get off the awful great east coast..

There are a number of ways to go across, if you are going out of NYC down to 80/90/94 you will want to possibly, maybe, think about dipping down under Chicago by as far as you can, it will put a hurtin on any cross country trip if you get locked up there.

If you have the freedom to take any route you want, we would strongly suggest, highly recommend, urge you to get down to 70 at some point, turn west, and enjoy those mountains rising out of the horizon. That big turn east of Denver is just glorious. From there you need to cross the mountains and we've been through Glenwood Canyon and Trail Ridge a couple of times, both are fabulous ways to cross the mountains, we'd urge you to take one way out and one way back.

When you get on the other side of the mountains you'll have to get up into WA. We'd suggest going up 15 and diagonally through ID so you can get along the Columbia River as soon as possible. That is some of the best driving in America right there.

I could post all day about this. PM me if you need routes and stuff, places to stay. We are National Parks people, so when we are doing this we are not really stopping too much along the way unless they were planned, we usually have to get to some lodge that we waited two years to get into so we don't want to blow it.

Heading to Milwaukee in a couple weeks, even that little two day drive is exciting as all hecks. Yellowstone in October, can't wait!

rct

Where in Illinois will your trip bring you and when? In the summer there are some great festivals in Chicago like the Jazz and Blues fests.

There are tons of nice smaller towns and cities to visit and other places of interest.

I drove semis across the nation for two years way back in the 70s, mostly I saw broken white lines, a lot of signs, and found some very disgusting places to eat. All joking aside there are so many things to see, what is most important to you?

Hey, it's the old man here...

If you do I-90 that takes you through South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, etc....

There are the S.D. Badlands (shown in the entry scenes of Dances with Wolves) to drive through en route to Mount Rushmore; then a bit north on 90 to Deadwood. Down the hill from Deadwood is the geographical center of the U.S., then another hour and a bit and you're at Devils Tower (think Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Then back on I90 and you run up the eastern slope of the Bighorns and yes, soon into Montana you hit the Custer battlefield.

If you want a bit more on that - and an offer of a steak dinner - holler on the IM or even here, and I'll IM you my email and phone.

Depending on when you get here, there's some neat rodeo action too over the next month and into July we could connect you with.

My little bro is from here and works for "Uncle Bill" in Seattle, so he may have extra advice on roads.

m

http://www.brandingironsteakhouse.net/#

and I'm even in this one at lower right...

btw, back in the '60s I'd tend to steal some material from this guy... John Koerner.

Has your quote kinda... It's on a 7-string, G is doubled an octave up.

Then too, there's ...

Thanks.

North Dakota has nothing to offer.

Then too, headed across the Northern Plains, the only way to feel it is to download or buy a bunch of stuff from the late Chris Ledoux who kinda puts the shortgrass country into anything...

Play it loud... <grin>

m

Mr. Gibson...

Heck, there's Medora...

On the other hand... that's perhaps part of why Teddy Roosevelt rode south to where I live to meet Seth Bullock. <grin>

m

Ya forgot about that. Ok Medora. My Brother in law used to be in the musical part of that.

Based on your trajectory I'd say Chicago for sure. Get a hot dog, eat some of that upside down pizza, and enjoy the views of Lake Michigan.

But I'm really more of a nature traveler, so if I were on that route I'd see Glacier National Park for sure (opens in summer). You could work in Mt. Rushmore easily enough, but I found it a bit underwhelming personally. If you can swing a little further south, Yellowstone and Grand Teton are gorgeous (assuming it's summer and they are open).

Forgot Fort Union too...

https://www.nps.gov/fous/planyourvisit/calendar.htm

Or just hang around where one might find a rodeo...

t

I90 could take you to Cody, the Tetons and Jellystone... and points north.

Yeah, Munchmore's "visitor" stuff got destroyed by the city folks in the park service; I call it Stonehenge nowadays. On the other hand the carving is pretty spectacular. Then there's Custer State Park a bit south and along a specially-designed highway is pretty nice for low hills, nothin' much over 3-4,000 feet; often buffalo and donkeys will come to visit the roadsides. Drive north from Custer and see the even bigger mountain carving work in progress of Crazy Horse.

Then dinner in Deadwood (call) and/or at the center of the nation somewhere.

m

Lots of great suggestions here. Another thing I'd do is go to AAA and map out your trip and they will suggest places to see of your interests. As suggested, the cheapest route is to site see and enjoy the scenery of mountains and parks. Glacier Natiomal park is the most heavenly park my wife and I have ever been to.

Rugby, geographical center of the continent. Spent a night and had a great breakfast there on our way east on State 2 from Glacier across the top to end up eventually at Isle Royale.

rct

If you're interested... In Eastern PA...

From either i-80 or i-78....

https://www.martinguitar.com/about/visit-us/

I've passed this place a lot, I'll save this for another trip.

Some years ago, I drove across country from California to Connecticut, and then back again a little over a year later. Unfortunately, I was in a hurry each time—had no $$$ for sight-seeing, etc. I also took a different route than you are taking—a more southerly route, each time: CA > AZ > NM > TX > OK > MO > IL > IN > OH > PA > NY > CT.

A couple things jumped out at me, with regard to where your route is taking you through.... Maybe the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in OH? If at all interested in history (which I am), you could stop at The Little Big Horn "battlefield" in Montana and see the place where the glory-seeking Gen. Custer got his 7th Cavalry massacred by the Sioux.

Other than those two things, I don't know.

Have fun!

Already been to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Little Big Horn is a good thing to take note of.

Washington of course the Capitol, Lincoln Memorial, John F Kennedy Center for the performing Arts. I don't know what you've seen or how much time you have or what your interests are. We were just through that whole trip last fall on a Moosetach bus tour. Deb and I went up in the Statue of Liberty, visited Ellis Island. Saw Niagra Falls from the Canadian side and took a boat ride up in the falls. At night it's lit up and we ate at the skylone tower. It rotates and you get great photos of the falls as it turns. Lots to do and see in New York. Pennsylvania has the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh has the Carnegie museums and Heinz Field stadium. Gettysburg National Military Park. Ohio has the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Cincinnati Zoo and Art Museum. Illinois we went up in the Willis Tower. It has all glass elevators including the floor. Of course there stationary up on top but it's a view up there and great photos. Chicago has a lot to do and see. We took a tour of the historic area where Al Capone and the Mafia gangs were. Saint Valentine Days shooting. Navy Pier, Buckingham Fountain, Shedd Aquarium, Riverwalk, Lake Michigan. Wisconsin, we went to Wisconsin Dells, Harley Davidson Museum, Green Bay Packer Hall of Fame, Riverside Park, Milwaukee County Zoo, and they have a River Walk in Milwaukee too. Deb and I went through the House on the Rock. That was so cool. A guy built his house on a rock and it goes in a deep cave showing all his millions of dollar collections. I would defiantly go to that again. He even has a working merry go round way down under. Model ships, it's incredible. Minnesota has Mall of America, that will take a day to go through. It even has an amusement park in the middle. North Dakoda has the Theodore Roosevelt Park, Heritage Center, Painted Canyon Overlook, Roosevelt Park Zoo, international Peace Garden, North Dakota Cowboy Hall of Fame. The biggest thing like I said is how much time you have to sight see and whereabouts you are at the time. Have fun and enjoy your trip.

Tons of info! Thank you, I'll be mapping these out to see where i could go.

Yo d00d.

d00d

We've crossed the country 7 times.

I can't really tell you what there is to do in all of these states. At some point or another we had things to do in each of them, but they might not interest you at all.

For your first time across it is best to just enjoy the ride and the incredible beauty of this country once you get off the awful great east coast..

There are a number of ways to go across, if you are going out of NYC down to 80/90/94 you will want to possibly, maybe, think about dipping down under Chicago by as far as you can, it will put a hurtin on any cross country trip if you get locked up there.

If you have the freedom to take any route you want, we would strongly suggest, highly recommend, urge you to get down to 70 at some point, turn west, and enjoy those mountains rising out of the horizon. That big turn east of Denver is just glorious. From there you need to cross the mountains and we've been through Glenwood Canyon and Trail Ridge a couple of times, both are fabulous ways to cross the mountains, we'd urge you to take one way out and one way back.

When you get on the other side of the mountains you'll have to get up into WA. We'd suggest going up 15 and diagonally through ID so you can get along the Columbia River as soon as possible. That is some of the best driving in America right there.

I could post all day about this. PM me if you need routes and stuff, places to stay. We are National Parks people, so when we are doing this we are not really stopping too much along the way unless they were planned, we usually have to get to some lodge that we waited two years to get into so we don't want to blow it.

Heading to Milwaukee in a couple weeks, even that little two day drive is exciting as all hecks. Yellowstone in October, can't wait!

rct

Columbia River is a must, thank you.

Where in Illinois will your trip bring you and when? In the summer there are some great festivals in Chicago like the Jazz and Blues fests.

There are tons of nice smaller towns and cities to visit and other places of interest.

I'll only be in Illinois for a short while, near Naperville.

I drove semis across the nation for two years way back in the 70s, mostly I saw broken white lines, a lot of signs, and found some very disgusting places to eat. All joking aside there are so many things to see, what is most important to you?

Scenery, historic viewing, museums, etc.

Thank you everyone for your recommendations, i really appreciateit.

You're the 10th person to telll me this.

Based on your trajectory I'd say Chicago for sure. Get a hot dog, eat some of that upside down pizza, and enjoy the views of Lake Michigan.

But I'm really more of a nature traveler, so if I were on that route I'd see Glacier National Park for sure (opens in summer). You could work in Mt. Rushmore easily enough, but I found it a bit underwhelming personally. If you can swing a little further south, Yellowstone and Grand Teton are gorgeous (assuming it's summer and they are open).

Glacier is on the list for sure.

Forgot Fort Union too...

https://www.nps.gov/fous/planyourvisit/calendar.htm

Or just hang around where one might find a rodeo...

t

I90 could take you to Cody, the Tetons and Jellystone... and points north.

Yeah, Munchmore's "visitor" stuff got destroyed by the city folks in the park service; I call it Stonehenge nowadays. On the other hand the carving is pretty spectacular. Then there's Custer State Park a bit south and along a specially-designed highway is pretty nice for low hills, nothin' much over 3-4,000 feet; often buffalo and donkeys will come to visit the roadsides. Drive north from Custer and see the even bigger mountain carving work in progress of Crazy Horse.

Then dinner in Deadwood (call) and/or at the center of the nation somewhere.

m

Fort Union looks great. Your other posts have some great recommendations, thank you.

Lots of great suggestions here. Another thing I'd do is go to AAA and map out your trip and they will suggest places to see of your interests. As suggested, the cheapest route is to site see and enjoy the scenery of mountains and parks. Glacier Natiomal park is the most heavenly park my wife and I have ever been to.

Didn't AAA had the option, i will have to check it out!

I'll only be in Illinois for a short while, near Naperville.

You could see the Morton Arboretum which in the summer is a very pretty place to take a stroll.

I don't spend much time out in Naperville so I don't have much to offer. I know they have a decent downtown area.

Archived