Gibson Brands Forums

Is the Explorer more difficult to play?

Guitar Fundi

When about resting the picking hand's forearm, my Explorer feels more comfortable to me than any other guitar body shape. Like with Flying Vs the Explorer's overall length takes more awareness of the environment especially in close quarters, but to my senses the playability as such is great.

Transportation and storage of Explorers calls for more space than most bass guitars. The case of my Explorer beats any of my long-scale bass cases for size and weight.

More difficult? Absolutely not. I find my Explorers my most comfortable guitars. Especially the later model (1990+) is perfectly balanced.

I guess it's personal for everyone, but if you ask in this forum you probably only hear positive feedback. 😁

E

I bought mine expecting a bit of neck dive and general awkwardness, as a trade-off to balance looking insanely cool. Instead, I got the cool looks and easily the best balanced guitar I've ever owned. Because of the weight of the body, the neck is in a perfect position for some comfortable riffing and the long 'horn' that runs under the picking arm actually makes for a fantastic arm-rest.

Of course, this reply is largely Gibson-specific. Other manufacturers may make their Explorers lighter, which will change the balance. However, if you're going for a real Gibson and you can handle the weight, you will love it.

Archived