Gibson Brands Forums

CS-336 CAR

lars-ake

Hi!

I'm a noob here and on electric guitars in common. [laugh] I live in Sweden.

I'm waiting for a delivery of a pre owned mint condition CS-336 with non reverse head stock, diamond holes in candy apple red and supposedly '57 buckers. Serial number starts CS40 so that would be 2014 made in Nashville I Think. There seems to be little to find out on these guitars. The only facts I've found were on the Wildwood specials and on the Gibson site there's only the 336 with the regular head stock. There are a few ads (for this model) from european stores on the web. Does anyone here know anything to fill out gaps for me?

post-78712-040879200 1463402356_thumb.jpg

The only ones like this that I'm aware of are from the special runs done for Wildwood. It might be worth contacting them for the exact specs.

The diamond holes and headstock make this version of the CS-336 like a small-bodied version of the Gibson Trini Lopez Model, which was a variant of the ES-335. Dave Grohl from the Foo Fighters is a fan of the Trini Lopez models, and his own signature Gibson custom shop model is very similar. His popularity may have had something to do with Wildwood wanting have Gibson create these smaller versions.

Good luck with yours!

Hello there and welcome..

I just found one in a UK store

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/gibson-custom-shop-cs-336-diamond-f-hole-candy-apple-red

Gibson Custom Shop CS-336 Diamond F-Hole - Candy Apple Red

• Custom built ES-336 with carved maple top

• Single-piece mahogany back and sides

• Single-piece rosewood fingerboard

• ABR bridge combines vintage looks with modern performance

• Nickel hardware for absolute precision

• Custom Buckers for exceptional tonal control

• Rich candy apple red

One of the most coveted guitars ever made, the ES-335 has been used by many guitar legends across many genres since its introduction way back in 1958. As part of their endless quest to improve upon the ES-335, Gibson introduced the ES-336 in 2001, refining the dream combination of rich hollowbody tones with solidbody performance.

The ES-336 body shape and profile draws from Gibson's established semi-hollowbody design, delivering heavenly tones with superb depth and timbre - minus the unwanted feedback. The carved maple top is finished in a stunning candy apple red, and provides the sparkling articulation across the tonal spectrum. The single-piece mahogany back and sides provides the low-end punch that emphasises the energy of the body profile in fine style. The body size has been scaled-down to give the playability of a solidbody, making it much more comfortable to wield than a standard ES-335. The diamond F-holes accentuate the ES-336's ability to project sound, encouraging the luxurious tones to shine. The body top and back is completed with cream binding, adding a stylish contrast against the saturated candy apple red.

A solid and reliable single-piece mahogany neck is fitted to the body, giving a sturdy and reassuring support to glide along. Married to the neck is a delightfully sumptuous single-piece rosewood fingerboard, which is home to 22-frets that are bound to create an effortlessly smooth playing-feel. The frets are adorned with pearloid dot inlays to guide your way in style, whilst the custom neck profile gives the neck a slender feel in the hand.

The Gibson Custom ES-336 is fitted with underwound Custom Bucker pickups, with one in the neck and one in the bridge position. Each one has an individual volume and tone pot, whilst a three-way pickup selector switch allows you to choose either pickup, or both at the same time to create your own special blend between the two. As the Custom Buckers are underwound, they generate a subtle bite when given a push, rather than an aggressive attack. If you prefer you tones to be subtle, smooth and creamy, then these pickups are perfect for you. The sustain and resonance generated by the body shape/tonewood combination, create a bountiful tonal palette to choose from.

The steadfast ABR bridge is paired with a stopbar tailpiece to create a seamless connection between the strings and body. Nickel tuners hold your tuning steadfast throughout each and every performance, allowing you to get on with playing as enthusiastically as you wish. Gibson’s engineers, to ensure that the setup for each one is ready to play as you receive it, check over every model meticulously.

The Gibson Custom ES-336 carved semi-hollowbody electric guitar, combines the richness and warmth of a hollowbody with the power and sustain of a solidbody. Thanks to the carefully placed centreblock, unwanted feedback is prevented from overpowering the sweet timbre of the body. The underwound Custom Buckers inject a little energy into the output but for the most part, preserve the unique character of the body profile/tonewood combo exquisitely. The slender, smaller body and neck profiles, along with the fingerboard binding, makes the ES-336 a much easier guitar to wield than an ES-335. If you’re looking for you first ES model but would prefer a model that offers the playability of a solidbody, then this is the model for you

Thanks for replies!

Yup, Dawsons is one of the places I've seen them. Another is Thomann, similar ad and text but I have seen nothing in the US.

Well what else would you like to know? They will be the same specification no matter where you buy it from.

I was just curious on how Gibson would present them and maybe see official pics on the site. [smile]

Yeah Gibson can be odd like that sometimes.. Special additions don't always appear on the main site..??

Oh well.. Im sure it will be everything you hope.. A CS 336 is my dream guitar too one day when I can afford it :)

I REALLY like this wildwood special

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/cs402668.php?CategoryID=489&n=0#

lknlknlknlknage1_zpscatjvcu5.jpg

kbkbjbkbjkjbe2_zpsmza2rn42.jpg

Ikjkjhkjhkje3_zpsjfke8nho.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is the answer I got from Gibson Customer Service: " The serial number refers indeed to a guitar CS-336 Plain Diamond F holes non Reverse headstock made in 2014 in Nashville US as part of the Custom Shop series. This guitar model is not showed on the Gibson website because it isn't a guitar model from the regular production, probably was a dealer order."

Archived