Gibson Brands Forums

'The Les Paul' 1976

cody78

Always dreamed of owning one of these since I read about them in Tony Bacon's LP book back in the 90's, but at $30,000 I don't see myself ever having one. Obviously lots of people rave over the 'bursts of the late 50's, but this one is much more unusual and amazingly beautiful IMO. Wooden parts everywhere! Wonder if anyone on the forum owns one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-Gibson-THE-Les-Paul-8-of-77-First-Year-Production-/291741258571?hash=item43ed22534b:g:WuAAAOSwubRXFPrB

30 thousand for all of them is too much. They were nice for sure, but very heavy. Very. If you run into one it is usually super clean because nobody would lug it for a 5 set night. You don't see them for sale that often though, so somebody is holding on to them!

rct

The one in Tony Bacon's book looks like this:

Beautiful, all-maple (except for the ebony fretboard) Les Paul. Said to be super heavy.

Bence

Ohh nice... one of my favourite ever colours on a guitar [thumbup]

I don't really like the super thick pickup rings.. but that's being picky... :)

It is very nice indeed but quite a price...I too have always admired the one in the book.....

Of course you can buy fine hard wood knobs, pup rings, trcs etc on the net...

Other more realistically affordable LPs of the period include the 25/50 ( [love] ), price going up a bit now - and the Artisan, if you can find a good one - both lovely guitars....

Always dreamed of owning one of these since I read about them in Tony Bacon's LP book back in the 90's, but at $30,000 I don't see myself ever having one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-Gibson-THE-Les-Paul-8-of-77-First-Year-Production-/291741258571?hash=item43ed22534b:g:WuAAAOSwubRXFPrB

30 thousand for all of them is too much.

rct

Uhhh...30k isn't really a number other than what this guy is asking, and it appears the guitar didn't sell (And even if it did, I would DOUBT it was for the 30k asking price).

But what do I know. I neither have 30k, or one of these.

But if it's your dream to have one, I wouldn't give up just yet. Who knows? Maybe one will pop up for..I dunno...3k? 5k? 2k?

Oh man! Those pictures are amazing, thanks for posting Bence. Great the actual owner posted them.

...and jdgm, I agree the 25/50 and Artisan are also mighty fine looking LP's.

Would be great to see Gibson reissue both 'the Les Paul' and Artisan (guess they couldn't do the 25/50 as it was an anniversary model). I know Epiphone did the Artisan as a signature model recently, but would love to see a Gibson version someday.

Archived