Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Custom 70's

Hey Guys

Having a hard time here getting info on this. Seller originally thought it was a 68 then took it to Long & McQuade who said it was mid 70s. Ive had it confirmed by 2 Luthiers that this is the real deal but with the obvious modifications. Anyone have any input? Things that have been confirmed as original . . Neck, Body, Bridge, Speed Knobs. Its been fitted with 3 DiMarzio Pickups (Middle Routed) and Pots to accommodate this and also aftermarket Back Plates, tuners and maybe a refinish. Seller is willing to move on price

http://toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/5595040370.html

Seems like you know enough. What else is there to know? There aren't a lot of different pics to be able to see much.

Certainly can't tell the finish from the quality of these pics, or why it might have been refinished. Guitar does kinda have a look of being completely re-done, but again, that's just the look. Nothing I can see is evidence.

The fretbaord looks off in places, looks too light in color, and the frets are over the binding. But again, pics aren't good enough to confirm or deny that. Is it possible it has had the fretbaord replaced?

Is it possible it had a broken headstock?

Price or value would be real hard to say on something like this. It really is going to be whatever someone wants to pay, or what someone wants to sell for. New LPC's with a richlite board are going for 4k new, which might seem rather high, and 70's LPC's are starting to get more respect, and could be selling for as much as used 90's/2000's ones. Since it is a "used" guitar and not a "collectible" by any measure, it means that except for a broken headstock or a repair, mods or refins can go either way. I mean it could be worth less because it is so far from original, or more because the money spent to make it "new". (By more, I don't mean as much as a new one or a preserved original).

Another way of putting it, there are no guarantees on price or value.

If it were ME, I would judge the guitar on how much I liked it, and if I wanted it, and offer up what it is worth to me. I would compare price based on what else I could get my hands on and how much I liked those better or not as much. Lots of options in the 2k-3k price range.

Archived