Gibson Brands Forums

More than one Gold top !!

BLACKZEPPELIN

I only have (now) one "Gold Top" Les Paul. It's a Gibson "Classic Custom," model.

Stock, (well, I did change the TRC (to a '59 Historic) and the nut, to "bone") the day I bought it:

DSC_0012-2.jpg

And, later that same day, adding the TP-6 tailpiece:

DSC_10631_zpsb40bdd0f.jpg

However...

I would Love to own an R2, R4, R6, R7. Why? Because I love Gold Top's, and

especially the Reissues. (Can't afford them, much less an original's, but I love

them, just the same!) One (I think) buys a "Gold Top," just for the love of

having one (or more). Not because of, or the lack of, finish differences. All

the real differences, on Gold Top's are pickup or hardware spec's, and the finish

on the back, with differing color density (dark or light), and wood grain from the

mahogany. Gold Top's WERE, originally, the only Les Paul's aside from the (Black)

Custom, and transparent red or TV yellow juniors, and specials, up until 1958,

when the "bursts" were introduced. So, there's that "historical" element, as well.

I think one just "Love's" Gold Top's, or not. Nothing more complicated, than that.

Why do some folks buy several "busts" (plain top, or figured)? Because they love

them! [biggrin]

CB

I've drooled over photos of that GT before CB, that is one sweet axe...

having a few in different pickup configs would be sweet..

Deluxe-Mini humbuckers,

Need a P90 equipped

Another with the classic 57/57+ pickup config -- Oh Mama!

then we'd need another with a bigsby...

See how easy it is?

btw: my first les paul was a deluxe gold top. (74ish??) I wish I still had that one.

I've drooled over photos of that GT before CB, that is one sweet axe...

having a few in different pickup configs would be sweet..

Deluxe-Mini humbuckers,

Need a P90 equipped

Another with the classic 57/57+ pickup config -- Oh Mama!

then we'd need another with a bigsby...

See how easy it is?

btw: my first les paul was a deluxe gold top. (74ish??) I wish I still had that one.

Thanks, Kidblast! [biggrin] I "drool" over it, too! I just try not to drool ON it. [flapper]

As to Gold Top reissues, I think I could "survive" having just 2, a '56 (R6), and '57 (R7)! [thumbup][biggrin]

I'm sure I'd have to buy them "used, but not abused," as the new prices (especially the recent "True Historic's")

are "impossible" for me to manage, or justify, these days.

As to other configurations? Yes!! I'm (Still) kicking myself, for not getting (2-3 years ago) the

Gold Top version of the Tradional with P-90's, and the Bigsby (via the vibramate, included),

so you could use the Bigsby, or take if off, and use a supplied "stop tail," instead! I loved the

fact that you had that option, included! I knew THEN, I "should have" bought one.

But, was feeling especially "financially challenged," at that time. "C'est La Vie!!" [tongue]

Thinking about changing the "speed knobs," on the Classic Custom, to black (or gold) "top hats," w/silver inserts. ??? Time will tell.

CB

Guest Farnsbarns

I don't buy guitars for the looKs. I really dislike the iced tea burst on my number 1. I would own a gold top if it spoke to me and I would certainly have 2, one with p90s and one with HBs if they were good guitars.

I had an R6 but it went bad and when it came down to replacing it the best guitar in terms shop was an R8. Still want something with p90s though.

Well, to each his/her own. I'd never buy a guitar, that I didn't love the look of, as well as the feel,

and tone. I merely keep looking, until I found the best one, that incorporates all.

CB

I agree

As to other configurations? Yes!! I'm (Still) kicking myself, for not getting (2-3 years ago) the

Gold Top version of the Tradional with P-90's, and the Bigsby (via the vibramate, included),

so you could use the Bigsby,

I put one on my 95 Wine Red Standard, and it was a snap.

bottom strap button wasn't quite where the B7/V7 wanted it to be, I was able to coax it on there, but the installation of the B7 wasn't quite right. So after a bit of self deliberating, I did put another hole in the proper place so the B7/V7 sat on the top properly. Beyond that, it didn't alter any thing on that LP.. action/sustain/tuning stability etc.

so if you're really jonesin for one to add to one of your axes, it's pretty much a no brainer.

Archived