Gibson Brands Forums

Any Star Trek nerds.... I mean Fans on here

Rabs

:)

Hehe.. Im a Star Trek fan, not a nerd by any means, never have been or ever will go to a convention or anything like that.. I just like watching the show...

So any fans out there will know that the last TV series Enterprise with Scott Bakula was pretty bad... I liked Quantum Leap but didn't think he was the right choice for the series.. He seemed to be doing a Shatner impression most of the time....

Anyway, did you hear about the new series.. Its going to be a bit different.. Instead of being based on one set of crew apparently they are going to change it every season.. And it could be based in any time frame from before Enterprise to after Voyager... Sounds like it could be interesting.. I wonder if they are going to use the same style as the recent films??

They released a teaser recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXpPweAooeE

Always been a fan...great shows.

I don't know how this is going to work. What made the previous ones work and made me want to watch WAS the crew, the actors, getting to know them and their interaction between each other. It WAS a character based show, even though it had stories that addressed different things and situations, it was always about the characters and how they dealt with them.

If this is just another one of those re-boots where they "improve" it by giving us more action and explosions and battles for an hour, I'm not going to be interested.

Always been a fan...great shows.

I don't know how this is going to work. What made the previous ones work and made me want to watch WAS the crew, the actors, getting to know them and their interaction between each other. It WAS a character based show, even though it had stories that addressed different things and situations, it was always about the characters and how they dealt with them.

If this is just another one of those re-boots where they "improve" it by giving us more action and explosions and battles for an hour, I'm not going to be interested.

Hmm, maybe they are time travel agents who go around putting right what once wet wrong hoping each time the next leap, will be the leap home.. Oh wait, that's a different show :)

Well they haven't actually confirmed it, its just a rumour, but by the looks of that teaser it seems to be true..??? Who knows....

Oh, I kinda agree about the Scott Bakula "Enterprise" deal, although I think it has as much to do with the stage sets and the "dark" mood ever so present. One thing about all of them is they always had a certain sense of safety and family going on as they faced stuff. "Enterprise" was OK, but it didn't feel like Star Trek to me.

I was a fan of the first three but not so much "Enterprise" or "Voyager" (although Seven of Nine was interesting enough to make me occasionally watch Voyager). I'll be interested in see how this works out.

Haha lol.. It only got really interesting when she joined ... cant think why :D

(I seem to remember a story that they had to sew her into that suit for every episode to make it fit so tight)

I was a fan of the first three but not so much "Enterprise" or "Voyager" (although Seven of Nine was interesting enough to make me occasionally watch Voyager). I'll be interested in see how this works out.

Wasn't so much into Voyager myself. I think a lot of the character base there was an effort to show a female Captain, "woman in charge", and also show masculinity of the men who follow her, but at the same time, avoiding it. Kinda toned down for my taste. Since it's the one I have seem the least of, maybe might be worth getting into, if for anything, when it's nap time.

Deep Space Nine, THAT was awesome. Avery Brooks (who was also HAWK from the show "Spencer for Hire"...AWESOME character) played the outsider man in charge having to temper a heavy hand with kindness was the perfect thing, and the other characters played their stuff at least as well. There was a lot going on in that show with all the characters. Writers didn't hold back on that one. The premise of the show seemed boring, but the acting and stories was interesting and could be pretty deep.

Hmm, maybe they are time travel agents who go around putting right what once wet wrong hoping each time the next leap, will be the leap home.. Oh wait, that's a different show :)

Well they haven't actually confirmed it, its just a rumour, but by the looks of that teaser it seems to be true..??? Who knows....

If it has William Shatner, I'm all in. Don't care what part he plays, he is STILL the man!

Well, except maybe TJ Hooker. OK, if TJ Hooker makes a Quantum Leap, that might work.

Loved the original series. Pretty sure I have seen every single episode more than once.

Next Generation did absolutely nothing for me. I just couldn't do it.

Deep Space Nine got me for a bit. I watched some of that series. It was ok.

Have no knowledge or interest in of any of the others whatsoever.

Why mess with a good thing. It makes no sense.

1463802522[/url]' post='1771255']

Loved the original series. Pretty sure I have seen every single episode more than once.

Next Generation did absolutely nothing for me. I just couldn't do it.

Deep Space Nine got me for a bit. I watched some of that series. It was ok.

Have no knowledge or interest in of any of the others whatsoever.

Why mess with a good thing. It makes no sense.

Ditto. I watched the original and the reruns over and over till it went off the air. Then watched all the movie series with William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy. Loved them all. Then the Next Generation came on and I watched Several episodes but not all that many. It wasn't bad, but just never could get into it like the original. After that one I didn't watch much more. Today, I don't watch TV series at all. It's just not the same what it used to be growing up.

Oddly enough a new trailer for the latest film just popped up...

What do you guys reckon on these new big budget films??? To me they are okish.. The bit I liked the most was the beginning of the first film where you saw Spock and Kirk as kids.. Id like to have seen a bit more of that.. The rest of it is just the average Hollywood action film, kinda instantly forgettable but fun.... no real depth to any of it...

I grew up watching the original series when it was originally on. Watched and loved the movies with Shatner n nimoy.

I did enjoy the next generation n deep space 9 but I love the original series best.

• 2 months later...

If it has William Shatner, I'm all in. Don't care what part he plays, he is STILL the man!

Well, except maybe TJ Hooker. OK, if TJ Hooker makes a Quantum Leap, that might work.

Actually he may well be in it, even if its just a cameo....

They just released a teaser trailer... its going to be called Star Trek Discovery...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-QiKmBiAmQ

Yup, I'm a fan. Even went to a convention once just because Shatner was there. (Pretty weird crowd.....) Anyway, I loved the original series, even got into the "Next Generation" after a while. (A new crew was hard to swallow.) Deep Space Nine was too dark & Voyager was okay. I agree "Enterprise" just didn't work. The new 1st Star Trek movie in 2009 was great but the 2nd with Kahn was a disappointment with a replay of the 2nd Star Trek movie back in the 80's. Looking forward to the new movie that just came out. I've heard of the new series on the CBS network. Not sure I want to pay for a subscription to a network for one show unless it is really good. We'll see!

My long opinion on the franchise! "Live long & prosper"...;)

I grew up watching the original series when it was originally on.

[thumbup] I still remember this as the highlight of our week. We only had one channel, but we had friends with no channels who would come to our house to watch Star Trek on our tiny black and white screen. Those were great shows! Remember the tribbles?

I'm a fan.

Enjoyed the original series, and every one that followed.

Well, sort of.

I somehow missed Deep Space Nine altogether.

Hardly ever watched one episode.

Maybe it was because I was leaving Germany when it began, and was busy with finishing college and a new assignment in the years thereafter.

Unlike many others of you, I really liked 'Enterprise', and thought that the ensemble cast worked really well.

(My wife really liked Trip, the chief engineer.)

I was particularly fond of Hoshi, the communications officer. Gggrrrrow.

The dumb dog Porthos, eh, not so much.

I have mixed emotions about the newest cinematic releases, featuring Chris Pine.

Great action, fantastic special effects, and no small amount of humor.

But they enjoy playing it loose and cagey with the history and legacy of Gene Roddenberry's original stories.

Don't care for that.

Ah, what the heck.

I'm getting old.

I'm allowed to be grumpy about some things.

[unsure]

Big Fan, not a nerd though. Really like the new movies. A co-worker friend's name is Scott. We always trade emails usually about work and try to tie in some Star Trek phrases, like Beam Me Up Scotty ( I know, that wasn't really a real Star Trek phrase), We need Warp Power in 20 seconds or we're all dead... etc...

• 2 weeks later...

Total trekkie here... Original is best, but also loved NG, DS9 and Voyager - Enterprise didn't do it for me. The way I look at it is that Star Trek is now a world or universe in which to set stories or series. They each need to stay true to the precepts laid out by Gene Rodenberry, but they are essentially independent stories and have to stand on their own. It seems most have worked. We just need to have writers that have been infused (indoctrinated?) properly with Rodenberry's worldview. It's interesting - his work can be viewed as liberal or progressive, but it is much deeper than that - it's a full worldview and for a series to succeed it can't simply follow the slogans and formula, it needs to believe in the universe... Hopefully there will be many more Star Treks to come...

Star Trek has been done to death. You just can't keep putting out magnificent tv shows like the original series and Next Generation. I wish you could keep on topping the last series or the last movie but at some point it gets worn. You just can't keep making the explosions bigger and keep me intrigued. When the plots become silly the show is over. It becomes like the old Saturday morning westerns I watched as a kid. They made thousands of them.

In fact I have an idea for a new Star Trek episode. Why not do a show where the crew goes back in time to an old western town and fights it out with Wyatt Earp? Whatya think? Is that a good idea?

I've tried. I watched the occasional original series episode back in the early 90s - don't remember much. Watched the first three movies (or was it the second and third?) around the same time - ditto.

Have watched maybe ten "Next Generation" episodes, they were okay. Then one or two of the later movies (basically run of the mill sci-fi IMHO. Though not bad). Guess I won't be wearing plastic forehead extensions with like-minded folks anytime soon. Shame, I'd love to be a Star Trek fan, because I like a lot of Star Trek fans I've met during the years.

Plus, some people take offence which, of course, is an added bonus.

Archived