Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG P90 T

Heck Wilson

I have not personally tried one with P90s, but the only advice I can give is that other people's opinions should not cloud your own decision process.

Go to a guitar store and play as many guitars as they'll let you in order to pick one that you like and not the one that others tell you that you should like.

Heck, you might end up with a new Gibson SG with P90s, or a used SG that simply talks to you when you play it, or a Les Paul that simply screams and you have to have... or a Rickenbacker.. or a Framus..... or, horror of horrors, a Fender! [thumbup]

(just kidding, Ricks, Frams and Fender Benders are good guitars too..)

In any case, good luck with your purchase, and make sure it's fun !

Thanks. I was going to order this guitar online. I currently play a Fender Telecaster in my band while other guy plays a Strat. I wanted to get something with a different tone but still want the high end of my telecaster. I felt like p90s were a middle ground. Some people have complained about quality issues with current Gibsons which is another concern. But I'll try one out before I form my own opinion.

Yeah, play a Bunch! "The One," will make itself know, eventually. Don't be in a hurry,

take your time, play as many as possible, until you DO find the best one, for you.

Do you have an SG already, and are familiar with how they feel? Some love 'em, some

can't seem to warm up to them. P-90's are noisy (60 cycle hum), compared to humbucker's.

But, they sound awesome, as well. A mid-range "Gravelly Growl," that humbucker's don't

(normally) have. Again, some love that, other's prefer the smoother tone, of humbucker

pickups. Personally, IF I was going to get a current P-90 SG, it would be the HP version,

due to the nicer beveling, and horn tapering. (I'd just change out the nut and Robo-tuners)

But, try 'em All! [thumbup]

CB

Thanks. I was going to order this guitar online. I currently play a Fender Telecaster in my band while other guy plays a Strat. I wanted to get something with a different tone but still want the high end of my telecaster. I felt like p90s were a middle ground. Some people have complained about quality issues with current Gibsons which is another concern. But I'll try one out before I form my own opinion.

It's good to do research, many buy that way, but like a lot have said already, with guitars it's more personal. And also, each guitar is different in the things that may touch us and make us like them. Stuff that can't be found in the specs.

Playing in person, holding, touching, hearing, is WAY more informative than anything you will get here.

As a P-90 player and lover, AND a mainly Strat player, I can offer a bit of experience on the P-90 pups: They ARE noisy, and I would say roughly twice as noisy as Fender pups. But that might not stop you...it doesn't me (I just turn the volume "off" when not playing).

Also, P-90's are highly reactive/sensitive as to what they will sound like depending on the individual guitar. They can sound meatier than humbuckers, or shrill like a Strat/Tele, although they seem to always retain their fatness and color. I have put them in a Special solid body and got fat meaty tone more like a humbucker with none of the treble of a Fender, and put the exact same pup in a fat sounding semi-hollow Gibson and the pup became very bright sounding.

The point here, is unless you have experience with the P-90, don't assume it will give you a certain sound. Rather, try out some guitars with them and maybe choose one based on what you hear. They are versatile, but difficult to describe.

But ALSO, have fun. There are so many options and good guitars out there for sale in the shops.

I prefer an SG Classic with dot inlays .

I know what you mean, as I too like the Dot inlays. Be nice if Gibson

would bring back the bound fingerboard SG "Specials," with P-90's, as they

were originally made, with '60's beveling and horn tapering. And, at a

realistic/decent price point, as well. Black, Cherry, TV Yellow, and White!

One can only hope!

CB

Yeah, play a Bunch! "The One," will make itself know, eventually. Don't be in a hurry,

take your time, play as many as possible, until you DO find the best one, for you.

Do you have an SG already, and are familiar with how they feel? Some love 'em, some

can't seem to warm up to them. P-90's are noisy (60 cycle hum), compared to humbucker's.

But, they sound awesome, as well. A mid-range "Gravelly Growl," that humbucker's don't

(normally) have. Again, some love that, other's prefer the smoother tone, of humbucker

pickups. Personally, IF I was going to get a current P-90 SG, it would be the HP version,

due to the nicer beveling, and horn tapering. (I'd just change out the nut and Robo-tuners)

But, try 'em All! [thumbup]

CB

Yeah those Robo-tuners are a joke, right? I had a '72 SG back in the day which I sold and have regretted it ever since. Best guitar I've played plus it was a black marble color which I've never seen on another SG. I'm used to noise with my Telecaster but I also use a daisy chain with my pedals. I will be switching it out with a Voodoo Power Supply. I actually pick up a radio station through my compressor. A lot of people complain about Gibson's quality control these days so I was wondering about these new guitars.

Personally, I wouldn't order online, but rather go to a shop that has the model you want in stock, as well as other models (if in the US, somewhere like Guitar Centre or choose an independent dealer that has one maybe (support smaller stores that offer real service vs. giant mega-companies that hire for the lowest £)

Ordering online can be a gamble as you won't know what you're getting until it's arrived. I've heard that Sweetwater has a good policy on returns and sets up the guitar before sending it to you. But I prefer trying the guitar before buying.

I order a J45 through Zzounds. I am happy with it but it took me a little while to warm up to it. I'm used to Martins and Gibsons are just a different animal.

I have not personally tried one with P90s, but the only advice I can give is that other people's opinions should not cloud your own decision process.

Go to a guitar store and play as many guitars as they'll let you in order to pick one that you like and not the one that others tell you that you should like.

Heck, you might end up with a new Gibson SG with P90s, or a used SG that simply talks to you when you play it, or a Les Paul that simply screams and you have to have... or a Rickenbacker.. or a Framus..... or, horror of horrors, a Fender! [thumbup]

(just kidding, Ricks, Frams and Fender Benders are good guitars too..)

In any case, good luck with your purchase, and make sure it's fun !

I l

Thanks. I play a Telecaster right now. It's a great guitar but the neck is small for my hands. I used to own a 72 SG and it was the best guitar I've ever played. It had humbuckers but I was thinking p90s this time. I played my friend's ES-175 with p90s and I liked the tone. I really want a 330 Ric.

I was strongly considering a Standard P90 earlier this year... but, in the end, my love for dot inlays got the better of me and I opted for a 2010 SG Classic. Pretty much a Standard P90, but with a dot neck.

I picked up a new 2016 Standard with hum buckers a while back, and it felt and sounded good. I'd imagine the P90 model is a nice instrument, as well—even better... since it's got P90s. [wink]

Like the guys above say - go try some!

With regards to reviews; although not always the case - I find that you mostly find reviews written by the 1% of people who had something go wrong, while the 99% of happy people won't write about it.

So you never get the whole picture, so find out for yourself! msp_biggrin.gif

Archived