Gibson Brands Forums

JuanCarlos, this thread's for you!

bayoubengal1954

There is a very interesting thread on the Martin Forum (Vintage Sub-Forum) about a lefty who bought a beat up 40's J-45 (so he thought) on ebay that he planned to convert to a lefty. Turns out, some think the body was a Southern Jumbo from '43 (although John Thomas still believes it is a J-45 body from the 40's) and the board and neck a late 50's J-45. He bought it in February and just got it back from Jim Grainger. It was converted to a lefty, has a new bridge and bridge plate. He went with the double pick guard. Period correct tuners, all the cracks are repaired and the neck was reset. Here is the thread with pictures before and after:

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/176980/bought-a-banner-SJ-after-a-few-cocktailsphotos-added?page=1

Thanks for posting the update on that saga. I'm sure the OP learned much over the course of the project. And now that guitar has a voice once again.

Agreed! It reminds me a bit of Ray Wylie Hubbard's "Frankenstein Gibson" (a '49 J-45 neck onto a '58/'59 Southern Jumbo body) put together by Tony Nobles (of course without the lefty conversion [biggrin]).

Ray-Wylie-Hubbard-2_0_zpsywz9fcm5.jpg

Nice guitar.

For me If I purchased a right handed vintage instrument I would play it upside down or make sure it was a ladder braced (symmetrical bracing) and proceed to convert.

But what a nice guitar!

Lefties often have to make do with what's around

JC

i bought a 1946 southern jumbo in nashville last month- having a new bridge for lefty put on right now (existing bridge not original) and a re-fret- not doing anything else to make it more "lefty"

Archived