Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson not making basses in 2016?

Lungimsam

Well, there's just one new bass model for 2016, but that doesn't mean they don't make any other ones. According to my research there are models from previous model years still in production and either in stock or will be available soon, depending on the specific dealer.

The 2015 SG Bass models are even cheaper than when I bought my 2011 Worn and 2012 glossy SG Standard Basses some years ago... [rolleyes]

Well, I don't know, for sure...but, it seems like IF they are, they're all 3 grand and up!

All I see on the Big Box sites, seem to be Les Paul semi-hollow body basses, mostly???

Maybe, Gibson still has a big backlog of previous year's stock, in basses??? Who knows?

Wish they'd bring back an EB-3, with dot neck, 2 volume, 2 tone controls, rotary switch,

and early '60's beveling, and horn tapering, in the Gibson USA line, so we don't have to

pay CS/"True Historic" prices! [scared][tongue]

But, that's probably a "pipe dream," at this point? Still, one can hope![thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Well, I don't know, for sure...but, it seems like IF they are, they're all 3 grand and up!

All I see on the Big Box sites, seem to be Les Paul semi-hollow body basses, mostly???

Maybe, Gibson still has a big backlog of previous year's stock, in basses??? Who knows?

Wish they'd bring back an EB-3, with dot neck, 2 volume, 2 tone controls, rotary switch,

and early '60's beveling, and horn tapering, in the Gibson USA line, so we don't have to

But, that's probably a "pipe dream," at this point? Still, one can hope![thumbup][biggrin]

CB

The SG Standard Bass 2015 in Heritage Cherry currently sells for 899€ here.

I heartily support your EB-3 suggestion. [thumbup] Hope springs eternal. :)

CB

I've had my head in the clouds for years waiting for the EB3L, or the EB1.

Yeah, I'd really LOVE for Gibson to re-issue the early '60's spec's on and EB-0, EB-1, EB-2, and EB-3

in the Gibson USA line. The Custom Shop will build you anything you want, IF you have the "scratch"

to afford that! But, it would be wonderful, if Gibson USA gave us those models, in a lot more affordable

version. One Can Dream!! [tongue][biggrin]

CB

and early '60's beveling, and horn tapering, in the Gibson USA line,

CB

Plus the mute and the old style neck pocket. Can't be doing with the bulky heel on the later ones.

Yeah, I'd really LOVE for Gibson to re-issue the early '60's spec's on and EB-0, EB-1, EB-2, and EB-3

in the Gibson USA line. The Custom Shop will build you anything you want, IF you have the "scratch"

to afford that! But, it would be wonderful, if Gibson USA gave us those models, in a lot more affordable

version. One Can Dream!! [tongue][biggrin]

CB

You know that's right about the Dreamin'!

"Ain't it the truth!" One could always have the Custom Shop make you one,

but it would likely be at a "True Historic" price point! [crying]

CB

A lot more than I could handle. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

in the Gibson USA line.

I would rather love improved versions of those. Early 60s body, of course.

But a volute to strengthen the transition to the headstock.

A 2 point hipshot supertone bridge.

The mudbucker wired in parallel instead in series - it would then have 7.5 kOhm and would sound a tad more lively without losing its tone. A minihumbucker with two Alnico blades and a total impedance of 7.5 kOhm (i have two custom pickups of this type - great....) and in the same position as with the SG/EB-11 basses. These pickups system is muck better balanced than the original one.

Otherwise the old electronics, of course. Maybe an additional push-push pot providing a switchable C of 1-1.5 nF to the bridge pickup.

And Schaller Tuners - M4 as in the 70s or even better the more lightweight M4-2000 which look really cool on SG shaped basses.

BTW: i have all these features in my basses. Not everything in one single instrument, unfortunately. But they all come close.

Archived