Gibson Brands Forums

Where have all the Epi-fans gone?

olie

Just wondering why the formerly leading proponent of things "Epiphone" has left for brighter lights. Over to you, Cougar.

Well, I'm still an Epi fan, of course. I've just amassed too many 6-strings - I can't play them all. Besides, I'm kind of focusing my playing efforts on 12-strings lately, and Guilds are king in that area. Gibson 6-string acoustics always seemed out of my price range, but if I sell a number of Epi's, that may fund one. That was the plan anyway. Not many takers locally. I may have to resort to reverb/ebay....

Well, I'm still an Epi fan, of course. I've just amassed too many 6-strings - I can't play them all. Besides, I'm kind of focusing my playing efforts on 12-strings lately, and Guilds are king in that area. Gibson 6-string acoustics always seemed out of my price range, but if I sell a number of Epi's, that may fund one. That was the plan anyway. Not many takers locally. I may have to resort to reverb/ebay....

I sold a '68 EBO on reverb last year and they were really easy to deal with. Less commish than ebay, also.Good luck!

I've been a Epiphone player for 50 years. Right now I think there are other guitars in that price range that work out better for me.

Hey dReit1-You're just teasing us now. Which guitars are you thinking about?

I bought the CLD-41SE dreadnought - there is a great youtube video that showcases it. I can't stop playing it and when I'm not playing it I'm thinking about playing it. It is a lot of guitar for the money. The reviews are great too and there are sound samples on a couple of forums if you Google it. Cost £230 free delivery - cheaper than the Hummingbird and Dove pros. I played both and they don't come close. Sorry Epi lovers!

Hi Leonard -nice to hear you're still driving Epiphones. I have had a DR-500MCE for a while and it seems to have become more resonant over a couple of years now.Keeping it humidified during our Canadian winters has helped, I think.Been using the D'Addario packets in the case and augmenting that system with the Planet Waves humidifier simultaneously keeps the packets from drying out. I've had them since last fall and they're still moist so I think the combination saves money. Replacing the packs a couple of times a year can get expensive! BTW I've tried different string brands just to compare and the next change-over will be D'Addario phosphor bronze- EJ16- .012's.I have tried Martin SP's and found them quite nice although not as long-lived as elixir Nanowebs. On the topic of Harley Benton; Dodger, are the CLD 41's laminate-you would think so for that price,wouldn't you? The DR500, being solid wood all round is a hard package to beat although Epiphone has been upping the admission price to play.The Harleys are not that common this side of the pond so I've had no opportunity to try them out. I think the reverse is true of the availability of the Masterbilts on your side of the world. Anyway-thanks for everyone's input. Happy strumming everyone.

Hey dReit1-You're just teasing us now. Which guitars are you thinking about?

olie, I knew I was going to get called out on that. So I'll be short and brief. I have found that Eastman guitars out of China can be found in used excellent condition for under a grand all the time. The last one I found was an AC822 that was in as new condition. Solid Engelmann spruce top, rosewood sides. An excellent player and in perfect condition for $925.00 used w/hsc on Ebay. I haven't played any of the Chinese made EPIs that come close to that. Or any Korean made either.

I know you were talking new guitars and I'm talking about used guitars. But I was thinking about the quality of the build and materials used and sound delivered for the cost.

I do like Epiphone guitars. Have several and have played them for many years. But I haven't played a new one that I liked for the price lately.

That being said, I did play one of the EL-00 pros recently that was a nice little guitar.

edit: for grammer

Just wondering why the formerly leading proponent of things "Epiphone" has left for brighter lights. Over to you, Cougar.

Well I was sitting here looking at stuff (guitar stuff) and I thought I'll have a look at the Epiphone message board and see if it is still dead around there, and up pops this thread.

I do have to say I have tried to start some discussions over recent months with little response. Seems we are all looking at other brands now. I have a Faith, a Harley Benton, an Avian, an Andrew White and the J15 taking up my time. But I do still play the Masterbilt AJ45me and look in here at odd times. Maybe we need Epiphone to introduce some new models to give us something to get our teeth into

I bought the CLD-41SE dreadnought - there is a great youtube video that showcases it. I can't stop playing it and when I'm not playing it I'm thinking about playing it. It is a lot of guitar for the money. The reviews are great too and there are sound samples on a couple of forums if you Google it. Cost £230 free delivery - cheaper than the Hummingbird and Dove pros. I played both and they don't come close. Sorry Epi lovers!

Dodger, If I end up buying one of these CLD-41Ss it's you who'll get the blame when she complains. [rolleyes]

Olie the CLD -41SE has a solid spruce top and laminate rosewood back and sides but to my ears sounds like a all solid guitar. It sounded a lot like the AJ45 Masterbilt I played locally. I didn't get a chance to play the HB first as they are only available online from the German retailer Thomann. A few fellas from the states have taken a chance and ordered - the delivery costs are inexpensive and there's a no quibble return guarantee

Olie the CLD -41SE has a solid spruce top and laminate rosewood back and sides but to my ears sounds like a all solid guitar.

Abalone binding and rosette? Very cool. [thumbup] Looks like a nice little electronic system too. When you plug in, I think the all-solidness of a guitar becomes less of a sonic advantage.

Dodger, If I end up buying one of these CLD-41Ss it's you who'll get the blame when she complains. [rolleyes]

Hoho Mick - for the price I don't think it can be beaten.

Here's a link to a good review with pictures and sound clips for anyone who's interested. I got the one with preinstalled Fishman pickup for around £30 more as I plan to do an odd gig with it hopefully.

http://www.aguitarforum.com/threads/harley-benton-custom-line-cld-41s-martin-d-41-clone.84059/

It's quite a looker too!

Cougar

Hopefully, I had something to do with your new found love of Guild 12 strings.

Btw you wanna make me an offer on my Masterbillt 500-P (maple) in MINT condition. I was moving in the same direction until I found that nouveau Gibby

Hopefully, I had something to do with your new found love of Guild 12 strings.

Indeed, Dennis, I've really fallen for 12s, and as you rightly pointed out, jumbo Guild 12s are top of the line in that category.

This nice burst, ebony fingerboard, Corona-built JF30-12 had hardly been played....

gjf352.jpg

Hoho Mick - for the price I don't think it can be beaten.

Here's a link to a good review with pictures and sound clips for anyone who's interested. I got the one with preinstalled Fishman pickup for around £30 more as I plan to do an odd gig with it hopefully.

http://www.aguitarfo...41-clone.84059/

It's quite a looker too!

Dodger, that's some powerful dread.

Archived