Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Standard vs. Gibson Les Paul Traditional

NHRoccodog

All other things being equal I would plump for a standard. But all things are not equal. The Std has Pro pups and I dont like them.

At least the trad has 57 classics. For that reason I'd be compelled to go for the trad. It would have to be the HP version too.

Yeah the standard is the more innovational model, so it's never the same each year. That's why people are on the edge with particular years. However, I do like the traditional a lot, especially with its chunky neck.

Traditional gets the vote from me.

The pickups are '57s, which sound great, versus BurstBuckers in the Standard; also apparently great (no personal experience of them, though).

But as things like pickups can be changed out, and quite often are; the only difference in my mind is that you're paying a few hundred of your currency more for a bit more flame on the top. This doesn't bother me, as I think too much flame can ruin the look.

I've owned 1 Standard (well, technically 2, but I returned one of them the first day so it hardly counts) and 4 Traditionals. I prefer the Trad's fatter symmetrical neck, the normal pots (ie, no push-pull). As well as just it's general straightforward, traditional approach.

I currently have 2 Trads, so yeah, put me in the Traditional camp.

I've owned 1 Standard (well, technically 2, but I returned one of them the same day I bought it, so it hardly counts) and 4 Traditionals. I prefer the Trad's fatter symmetrical neck, the normal pots (ie, no push-pull). As well as just its general straightforward, traditional approach.

I currently have 2 Trads, so yeah, put me in the Traditional camp.

I've got 2 Traditionals, a Standard and a Supreme. The most comfortable workhorses and the Tradtionals - these are 2014 with no weight relief. Maybe it's just my age, but I really love 10 lb. guitars... The thick neck is quite comfortable. But I also love my Standard - 2015, but with Grovers. Neck is quite nice, and sound is just different than Trad - Can't explain. Supreme really only gets played on special occasions. Love the different thicker body (maple top and bottom). Sort of a chunky feel and sound. Really it's taste, and that may vary from time to time. Cheers...

Archived