Gibson Brands Forums

Change pickups SG standard 2016

ktc93

Hello ;),

I hope you can help me.

I have a SG Standard 2016 and I would like to change the pickups . The problem is that I have these connectors:

post-78889-020112700 1464071489_thumb.png

But in the Tomann website, there is a 57 'classic and a angus young signature pickup, but the connector is a black 2-pin:

Do you know if these Gibson pickups come with an adapter ?

Thank you for your help ;)

PS: sorry for my english I'm french ^^

post-78889-005759100 1464071859_thumb.jpg

That's the reason I ended on this forum.

Ordered a 57 Classic QC and the AY Signature QC,

but didn't know about different connectors, and got a really unpleasent surprise.

TWO months of mailing back and forth with Gibson's customer care solved my problem.

First the sen't me the adapters, didn't work, and then they had to send me a compatible PCB.

That's how quick I connected!

The adapters only work to retrofit a pickup with white 5 pin to a Black two pin on the printed board.

If you wan't those pickups ask Thomann first if they exist with 5 pin (wich I doubt).

I will tell you the same Donny a former member of this forum told me, rip the PCB out and order whatever Pickups you like, some wire,

4 potenciometers and two capacitors and rewire it.

If you don't have the soldering skills let a tech do it for you.

My guitar worked fine with the PCB they sen't me but in the end I decided to rewire it 50's style because of personal preference, and a scrachy pot.

So I cut off the connectors and did it, and couldn't believe how much better it worked and sounded.

Not because of some strange magic, simply because that way I could choose the components and that made a huge difference.

In my case I opted for 500k Emerson pro pot's (I think the stock pot's on the PCB were 300k), Orange Drop capacitors

and vintage braided wire.

Just ask for it you need a wiring diagram or more info.

Oh, and Welcome to this nice place!

PS: sorry for my english I'm french ^^

Don't worry about that.

It's funny, that is my first post here, it was because of that quick connect thing.

If you wan't to see some bad english, here's the link:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/112669-quick-connect-cant-connect/page__p__1522506__hl__%2Bquick+%2Bconnect+%2B__fromsearch__1#entry1522506

Thank's to this forum it's getting better.

Thanks for your help :) !

I am disappointed about Gibson's quick connect system ...

I'll wait for a response from Thomann but I'm interested to rewire all... In this case , I'll can install a push/pull for the hambuckers.

If you have the schema and the name of components for rewiring it's very fun :) .

Thanks for your help :) !

I am disappointed about Gibson's quick connect system ...

I'll wait for a response from Thomann but I'm interested to rewire all... In this case , I'll can install a push/pull for the hambuckers.

If you have the schema and the name of components for rewiring it's very fun :) .

Quick Connect could have been a nice idea, but they did a sloppy job, and the customer has to deal with the consequences.

Anyway, you have chosen a very nce sounding pickup combination I love it in my Les Paul.

But there is a little problem if you wan't to have a coil splitting option.

You can do it with the 57 Classic with 4 conductor, but I think this option is not available for the Angus Young Signature.

I can't provide much info on coil split wiring because I have never done it.

But I have found this diagram:

coil_splitting.jpg

And this could come handy too:

LesPaulStandardModernVintagewiring.jpg

This guy has lot's of useful diagrams and stuff, take a look.

Here's a link:

http://s183.photobucket.com/user/stratman323/media/Wiring%20diagrams%20-%20Gibson/color_codes.jpg.html

The parts list is a bit more complicated, because it depends on what wiring you choose.

You can also buy a prewired harness with where all components are already installed, and you'll only need to drop it in,

and solder it to the pickups, switch and the output.

This is a good place to buy everything you need for that job, very nice quality parts.

http://www.crazyparts.de/

I rewired both my Les Paul's with their stuff and it turned out pretty nice.

Unless you wan't to buy some crazya$$ aged stuff, the prices for the "normal" stuff are pretty decent.

But if you research a bit you may even find the stuff cheaper.

Hope this helps.

Archived