Gibson Brands Forums

The Monkeys NEW ALBUM

daveinspain

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very cool!

I loved The Monkees television show back in the 1960's, and have enjoyed listening to their old hits on a 4 cd collection that I roll out ever now and then.

Trivia: The Monkees got to hang out with Eric Clapton and The Beatles during a visit to London in 1967, and later that year had Jimi Hendrix open for them (well, for seven dates anyway).

Neat. Can't wait to hear it, especially since Harry Nilsson is on it.

[thumbup]

I think one of the reasons for their "staying power" and longevity is the fact that they were very talented, liked each other, worked together for several years, and became, you know, a Band....

Besides being hilarious and a guy I would have LOVED to party with back in the day, Micky Dolenz had probably the best vocal timing of any singer ever, and that includes David Lee Roth.

Don't believe me?

Listen to Goin' Down.

Loved the show as a kid. Watched it religiously. Even had the Monkeemobile dinky toy.

If you haven't see their movie Head you should check it out. It's a bit of a stretch from their series. lol

Frank even made and appearance.

I think one of the reasons for their "staying power" and longevity is the fact that they were very talented, liked each other, worked together for several years, and became, you know, a Band....

Besides being hilarious and a guy I would have LOVED to party with back in the day, Micky Dolenz had probably the best vocal timing of any singer ever, and that includes David Lee Roth.

Don't believe me?

Listen to Goin' Down.

Have to agree with that.

They may have not started as musicians, but they DID learn how to play "instruments" (at least 2 of the 4 could sing REALLY well), and that there, takes talent to do it so quickly.

And yes, they do music as well as lots of bands. They deserve all the credit they get for their recordings and performances.

Might add, top notch entertainers they are, which a lot of bands lack in. Which also, is a genuine part of being a musician.

Monkees, Taylor Swift, Bieber, Madonna, Beatles, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. All the same, nobody gets any more a pass than anybody else. It's all pop.

rct

Monkees, Taylor Swift, Bieber, Madonna, Beatles, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. All the same, nobody gets any more a pass than anybody else. It's all pop.

rct

I must politely disagree, friend rct.

To lump The Beatles in with any listing of mere pop music 'artists', no matter how short or long the list is, is inappropriate.

:huh:

Where the Fabs went everyone else followed; their influence on our culture was enormous.

The Monkees were marketed as a bubblegum band.

I can see why Zappa never made it as an actor. Did anyone catch his appearance on Miami Vice a long time ago? Woof.

The Monkees were interesting to most of us young kids (who later evolved into musicians and band members) because THEY eventually evolved into musicians and band-mates.

It was cool to watch the dynamic of the television show change as the boys became more popular, and better able to dictate terms regarding playing and recording.

A strange time, and a strange microcosm of the television industry and the music industry colliding, at a very pivotal moment in musical history.

Years later, they are old guys who can still say f#%k you to the nay-sayers, and put out some good music.

I put in my advance-order on amazon this morning!

:)

IMHO you can't compare the two groups. The Beatles were very, very innovative and creative. the Monkees, well, not so much. That said,

There was a very interesting docu on PBS or something a year or two ago about the Monkees and their relationship with Don Kirchner. Talk about oil and water between Kirschner and Nesmith...woo hoo...it's probably all on YouTube, I'm just to lazy to look LOL, but worth a look if you can find it.

I loved the Monkees too. I watched all the shows and reruns. Learned more about them growing up and the wife and I had the chance to see Mickey Dolenz perform I think it was with the Omaha Symphony way back.

How did we end up comparing the Momkees to the Beatles? And .....Why?

The Beatles were a real band, guys who worked the bars and clubs and dance halls, learned the ropes, developed their skills as players and writers and singers. The Monkees? Not so much, TV producers held auditions, found some guys that had a few things going for them...nothing in common with The Beatles. Who actually brought material and developed talent to the producers.Call them "pop" or what ever you choose, The Beatles were and remain the real deal.

The Beatles were a real band, guys who worked the bars and clubs and dance halls, learned the ropes, developed their skills as players and writers and singers. The Monkees? Not so much, TV producers held auditions, found some guys that had a few things going for them...nothing in common with The Beatles. Who actually brought material and developed talent to the producers.Call them "pop" or what ever you choose, The Beatles were and remain the real deal.

Yeah what Jax said ! 👍

Ummm...hold on a minute.

The "producers" also replaced one of the Beatles upon audition, remember? Not to mention they didn't start out doing and writing their own stuff, but were doing covers of Chuck Berry and the like.

Does that make them 1/4 like the Monkees? I think not...but hey?

It's not where you start, it's where you end up.

rct

Now just hold on there Bubba....

What you mean comparing Bieber to these others?

1464147335[/url]' post='1772409']

Ummm...hold on a minute.

The "producers" also replaced one of the Beatles upon audition, remember? Not to mention they didn't start out doing and writing their own stuff, but were doing covers of Chuck Berry and the like.

Does that make them 1/4 like the Monkees? I think not...but hey?

It's not where you start, it's where you end up.

Actually, Ringo had jammed with the Fab Four a few times and knew each of the other members well. Point is, the Beatles were not a fabrication, if it had not been for the success of the Beatles, specifically the success of the movie Hard Days Might there Monkees would never have happened.

Actually, Ringo had jammed with the Fab Four a few times and knew each of the other members well. Point is, the Beatles were not a fabrication, if it had not been for the success of the Beatles, specifically the success of the movie Hard Days Might there Monkees would never have happened.

I don't get it.

If the Monkees were doing basically what the Beatles were doing because the Beatles did it first, then why don't they get credit?

Not trying to take anything away from the Beatles here, but ANY band that produces a sound or an image is in ways a fabrication. That's not a bad thing. Early, first Beatles was a highly polished, presented and planned out deal.

Yes, I get it...the Monkees started out "playing" a band on TV. But they DID do the work to become a band, by learning how to play the instruments and PERFORM them, because they didn't want to be just actors doing it. And you know? That's commendable. And didn't they do it in just weeks?

Well to begin with you can "compare" any band to any other depending on your point of view, that does not mean it is a reasonable or credible comparison. I too think the mere suggestion that The Beatles , Taylor Swift and or Bieber mentioned in the same sentence is absurd, but then what do I know?? I look at the evidence and I believe the evidence shows that The Beatles were a much better band and or unit than either of those mentioned even though they were "pop", like that is some inferior type of music I love Prog Rock, Blues, classical and what used to be Country, along with Jazz, but that does not mean that Pop is any less talented just because you hear more of them or it is not your preference. I think Rap and Hip Hop sucks but they have talents that allows them to sell music to their followers or fans, I understand that but even in each Genre you have talents that are much greater than others in that genre to say they are all the same because they are in a particular type of music is absurd. OK I will get off my soap box, besides most people on here know much more than I about music. I just had to add my two cents worth.

Yea, I don't think anybody would compare the Monkees with the Beatles when it comes to musical talent, but Mike and Peter are pretty darned good, and Micky and Davy were (are) very good singers.

However Micky is/was a whole new deal. He was a far better actor/comedian than any of the Beatles.

And you simply can't argue that the Beatles weren't a pop band.

They practically INVENTED the term "Pop Band".

Archived