Gibson Brands Forums

The Monkeys NEW ALBUM

daveinspain

1464227577[/url]' post='1772656']

I brought up the Beatles, and here is why:

That is virtually every pop band one can think of. People our age like to slag and beat on the kids today, so I lumped up some modern day pop stars along with the Beatles and Zeppelin as examples that are and were exactly like the Monkees: Pop bands.

Call it whatever anyone wants, it's all Pop music. Worship the Beatles all anyone wants, they were just the first Pop band. I like the Beatles too, but if they hadn't done what they did someone else, Kinks maybe, woulda been first and we'd be having a whole different discussion.

So that's how the Beatles got in this, you can't really talk about Pop music without them.

rct

After thinking this over, I thinking more along the same lines, as soon as someone becomes popular their are pop.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll concede this per my wording, mostly due to the fact that he did not produce as many good songs as L&M, and some of his songs are meh, but I like "Something" and "While my Guitar Gently Weeps" as much or more than any other Beatles' songs.

Semi hijack, BUT, let's not forget that Harrison released "All Things Must Pass" shortly after the Beatles broke up and it consisted mostly of songs he'd accumulated over the years that L&M told him "weren't good enough", but today it still remains as the single highest selling album of the individual Beatles (unless I'm now mistaken). And that said, when Harrison quit the group, Lennon was quoted as saying something to the effect of "he probably raalized how bad we've been screwing him over the years".

Back on topic, if you can find the Monkees/v/Kirschner documentary I mentioned above, it's well worth the time if you're a fan (expecially of Nesmith).

My CD arrived today, and I'm giving it a listen right now.

Thus far I am very much pleased with it.

(And bear in mind that I know that it is a mixture of ancient tracks mixed with modern sweetening and a few 2016 enhancements, along with some current materiel written by other mainstream artists.)

It's a great early-summer soundtrack, in my opinion.

Very cool, all in all.

:)

To this day I think that "Papa Gene's Blues" is one of the best songs ever written. And John Stewart used the royalties from "Daydream Believer" to quit the Kingston Trio (so I've read). In any event, I think the Monkees did have some relevance, contrived/created/whatever as they were. They did some good stuff LOL.

Damn Cookster, which one is you!? Btw you look happier than Mickey.

Just listened to the album. Very 60's, not a microsecond of 70's. Speaking of the Beatles, a lot of Lennon influence - major to minor transitions in the same key, backwards guitar. Very 60's song structure, changes.

A lot of stratocaster through a deluxe reverb guitar sounds. I love it.

Must have been hard to record without Davy.

Damn Cookster, which one is you!? Btw you look happier than Mickey.

Just listened to the album. Very 60's, not a microsecond of 70's. Speaking of the Beatles, a lot of Lennon influence - major to minor transitions in the same key, backwards guitar. Very 60's song structure, changes.

A lot of stratocaster through a deluxe reverb guitar sounds. I love it.

Must have hard to record without Davy.

I'm the poorest one T. lol

• 3 weeks later...
Why don't we see what the album sounds like...or wait until they do some live shows here coming up before we say they can'r play, or aren't a REAL BAND.

I would not have bought a ticket, but some friends had tix to a series of concerts, and they were going to miss this one, so... it's live Monkees night for me and Mrs. Cougar! We'll see how it goes and let y'all know.

Back in the 60s where I was, they were more or less denigrated as a "manufactured" group. The usual criticisms. Can't deny their stuff was popular. Also can't deny that, however they did it, they made it. Gee, I've never had a tune in the Billboard Top 40. They had several. Manufactured or not, gotta give 'em credit.

I'm expecting a fun evening listening to some catchy old tunes....

Well, the Monkees fans enjoyed the concert. They were dancing up a storm. (I hope I got a pic of that blonde who was gyrating a dozen rows in front of us...) A few of their songs came out well. I wonder if this was their first concert in this incarnation (a septet), or at least close to it. The guitar player they picked up was excellent, of course. Some of their harmonies were right there, some not. An enjoyable evening, regardless.

As for the new album I'm enjoying it. Adam Schlesinger does a fantastic job using instruments and techniques clearly associated with the original Monkees era pop. Great harmonies, guitar solos that just seem to be pushing the amp speakers a little to much and killer choruses that stick to your brain.

Of course anyone familiar with Adam's band Fountains of Wayne will already know he has a great admiration for 60s/70s pop music.

This one is my favorites off the album. Great to hear Mickey and Mike harmonizing again.

Back in about 1997, one of the original Monkey's (I want to say Peter Tork) had a series of dates lined up for the season up in The Poconos. Some buddies of mine were two identical twins who played drums and keyboards (they still are down in Myrtle Beach). Anyway, they were offered to be his back-up band for that tour. But unfortunately they couldn't make it work because of their "real" jobs. [sad] Would have been a cool experience, I'm sure.

But nothing as big as the current Monkeys reunion. B)

Archived