Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Custom Shop robbed

Searcy

http://www.newschannel5.com/news/break-in-reported-at-gibson-guitar-facility

A "substantial" amount of guitars and equipment were taken from a Gibson guitar facility after a break-in overnight.

Investigators with the Metro Nashville Police Department were called to the Gibson Custom Guitar Shop at 1612 Elm Hill Pike around 5 a.m. Tuesday.

A security guard noticed signs of a break-in at the location and called emergency dispatchers.

The facility was used for building custom electric guitars.

Officers and K-9 units were called to the scene to look for clues into what happened. The Metro Police Mobile Crime Unit also responded to the shop.

Authorities said there was an undetermined about of guitar equipment taken. No suspects were found at the scene.

Company officials were conducting inventory checks to determine exactly what was missing. They said numerous guitars were taken. It was not yet determined how many, but one investigator said it was "substantial."

The suspects were caught on surveillance video.

Anyone with information about the incident should contact Crime Stoppers at 615-74-CRIME (615-742-7463).

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't seem like a typical establishment crooks would target; my understanding is that thieves tend to favor small items they can turn over quickly for cash.

I mean, it's tough enough for an honest person to get any money for a guitar at a pawn shop, I can't imagine what it would be like for a crook with a hot guitar...

I'm thinking it was an 'inside job', or at least involved insider knowledge.

Doesn't seem like a typical establishment crooks would target; my understanding is that thieves tend to favor small items they can turn over quickly for cash.

I mean, it's tough enough for an honest person to get any money for a guitar at a pawn shop, I can't imagine what it would be like for a crook with a hot guitar...

I'm thinking it was an 'inside job', or at least involved insider knowledge.

Exactly what I have been thinking

Anyway, it's both interesting and sad. We all loose when something like this happens.

For Gibson, it will obviously put their schedule back months, and if they were custom orders, means they won't get the stuff they ordered for awhile.

Not to mention, having to replace the equipment before they get up and running again.

I can see taking the guitars...likely end up with different serial#'s on EBAY, or sold on other sites to China or somewhere. But what about the equipment? Was it tooling? or just tools to be sold?

hmmmm.

Terrible. I read the same thing just happened in California at the Carvin Guitar shop. Thieves must have their eyes on musical instrument manufacturers all across the country.

Well in that case they've got half of them already!

rct

Archived