Gibson Brands Forums

2016 SG Standard T....What is the real story?

oceantracks

On the one hand it looks great and the price is right, but I have started hear stories about QC issues.

1 Grounding issues (noise)

2 Tuning Issues (bad tuners made of plastic ....(hey I thought they always WERE made of plastic)

3 Glue showing, etc.

Are there big problems with this model this year? I was very interested in getting one but now I don't know.

Thanks

Tom

My '16 Standard has no QC issues. It's a well built guitar.

Great to hear. If you go on Gibson.com and read the comments under the picture of this guitar, that's where I heard most of the things I mentioned.

Spoke to my dealer though and he agree with you, said they were great.

I have a 2016 Standard T. Great guitar, my only issue is the Pick Up Selector switch on SG's in the middle position has a lot of wobble, I had it replaced with a new one and it still has a lot of wobble . I believe it is the L shaped switch Gibson uses. A friend of mine has one from the earlier 2000's and the switch on her SG has the same issue.

Who are you going to believe.. The Internet or your lying eyeballs?

If I didn't know better I'd say your tryin' to say that sometimes the internet is WRONG!!..........this can't be possible......I read it on the internet that the internet is never wrong, once I cleared all the adds and pop ups that is!!!!!!!!

When you read a review, you should also maybe qualify the one giving it.

I have never heard an actual musician guitar player point out glue for a 1500 dollar guitar. Or plastic button tuners.

What would it read like if it was? "Guitar plays great, easy to set up for low action with a good feel and balance when standing. Sounds great when played through XXX amp and YYY amp. Stays in tune well. Good for these bla bla sounds and responds well. Just has a bit of glue showing in the neck joint when viewed at certain angles".

Don't sound right, does it?

Mine is excellent. Actually much better quality than I expected, after having owned several low end Les Pauls over the years.

My understanding is that the static noise issue came from a a particular batch of control cavity covers that were made out of a type of plastic that really attracted electrical charge. Apparently, you can call customer service if you have the problem, and they'll send you a new one. I definitely confirmed that rubbing the cavity cover will cause pops and scratches, especially on very dry days. But, it's not bad enough that I've bothered calling for a new one.

Mine has an incredibly strong grain pattern. Nothing I've seen before in a typical mahogany guitar. It's also extremely resonant. No problems at all with the hardware or electronics. Good tuning stability. Overall, I'm very pleased.

I bought one, returned it because of static/popping. Tried my luck and bought a second one, this one has the same problem. Took it in for gibson warranty service, they won't fix it. Tech guy called other stores in the state and they have all seen the same problem with this model. The store I bought it from offered to gut it and make it work on their dime, no help from gibson.

Archived