Gibson Brands Forums

Alnico Classic vs Alnico Classic Plus vs Alnico Classic PRO

Tates

Also, does anyone have first hand comparisons between an Alnico Classic PRO vs a Probucker 2?

These questions come from a new Epiphone Traditional Classic Pro owner :)

What do these pickups look like? what do they say on the back? are they actual epiphone pickups?

So far ive tried 5 different sets, the EPI special, the EPI LP100, the older studio (2010 i think) the 2014 and 2015 and an EPI LP custom pro. Ive looked at all the pickups sept the custom pro its pretty much stock and i havnt touched it.

What kind of music do you like to play? what type of sound are you going for?

post-77720-091726300 1464144451_thumb.jpg

I already have a guitar, the Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, which comes with an Alnico Classic Pro neck and Probucker 3 pickup. They are open zebra coils. Have no idea what they say on the back, as I'm not a tech. But the stickers on top of them were labeled.

But I'm curious the difference in tone between the Alnico Classic, Alnico Classic Plus, and (especially) the Probucker 2.

Well i guess i dont know what pickups i even have to tell you how they sound.

I can say this, the stock Gibson studio pickups were not very hot, i think they are classic wound (low ohms) they were bright and thin i took them out quickly.

The epiphone studio the '14 and '15 sounded good thick and had a good hot output i liked em but i changed one of them with the SH-6 duncan designed clones just to compare.

The LP100 has a good sound sept for the neck pickup its was a little hotter then i like 11 or 12K i believe and it sounded a little muddy IMO.

The EPI special was slightly muddy on both pickups, IMO they are wound hotter then the magnets and poles can handle so they have no articulation to em

I find sometimes a hot pickup can clean up if its not so close to the strings but it can get thin and lose the fullness when i say clean the muddyness clears up some but sometimes you just can adjust them enough.

I also noticed that when you add the les paul chrome pickup covers it can rob some of the character away from it. If its a hot high output pickup adding the covers can tame it back quite a bit. Also depending on the position of it bridge or neck its can get brighter or warmer because it covers up a coil and then that coil loses some of its effectiveness if that makes sense.

The gibson studio pickups were to bright for me but might thicken up with the covers removed.

The epiphone custom pro i think has burst buckers in it and to me it sounds alot like the stock gibson studio pickups low ouput more classic sounding. Requires a little more gain on the amp knob and a little more bass adjustment.

The older epiphone studio had these pickups called "G&B" rewind 75 they sounded great! good output and had a good balance of tone not to bright, not to midrange and not over bassy it was the best rock sounding pickup. Ive searched for another set i figured they were a common set of pickups but they must of been just a set of "G&B" pickups and some one maybe rewound them or rebuilt them or something thats why they had a sticker that said "rewind 75"

these are my opinions

Thanks!

Well i guess i dont know what pickups i even have to tell you how they sound.

I can say this, the stock Gibson studio pickups were not very hot, i think they are classic wound (low ohms) they were bright and thin i took them out quickly.

The epiphone studio the '14 and '15 sounded good thick and had a good hot output i liked em but i changed one of them with the SH-6 duncan designed clones just to compare.

The LP100 has a good sound sept for the neck pickup its was a little hotter then i like 11 or 12K i believe and it sounded a little muddy IMO.

The EPI special was slightly muddy on both pickups, IMO they are wound hotter then the magnets and poles can handle so they have no articulation to em

I find sometimes a hot pickup can clean up if its not so close to the strings but it can get thin and lose the fullness when i say clean the muddyness clears up some but sometimes you just can adjust them enough.

I also noticed that when you add the les paul chrome pickup covers it can rob some of the character away from it. If its a hot high output pickup adding the covers can tame it back quite a bit. Also depending on the position of it bridge or neck its can get brighter or warmer because it covers up a coil and then that coil loses some of its effectiveness if that makes sense.

The gibson studio pickups were to bright for me but might thicken up with the covers removed.

The epiphone custom pro i think has burst buckers in it and to me it sounds alot like the stock gibson studio pickups low ouput more classic sounding. Requires a little more gain on the amp knob and a little more bass adjustment.

The older epiphone studio had these pickups called "G&B" rewind 75 they sounded great! good output and had a good balance of tone not to bright, not to midrange and not over bassy it was the best rock sounding pickup. Ive searched for another set i figured they were a common set of pickups but they must of been just a set of "G&B" pickups and some one maybe rewound them or rebuilt them or something thats why they had a sticker that said "rewind 75"

these are my opinions

I believe the Epi 100 has Alnico Classics, which I've heard many people refer to as "mudbuckers." And I believe the Custom has a Probucker 2 and Probucker 3. My Traditional Pro has a Probucker 3, which I like. I find it brighter than my Alnico Classic Plus, and I find it has a bit more clarity to it. Though I also love the warmth of the Alnico Classic Pro in the neck (which is why I'm curious the difference in tones between the Alnico Classic Pro and the Probucker 2).

I've never heard of the Alnico Classic Plus until recently, and am not sure what guitars even come/came with it.

Thus my thread!

Thanks so much for your great output. I have no need to switch you out!

Thanks!

I believe the Epi 100 has Alnico Classics, which I've heard many people refer to as "mudbuckers." And I believe the Custom has a Probucker 2 and Probucker 3. My Traditional Pro has a Probucker 3, which I like. I find it brighter than my Alnico Classic Plus, and I find it has a bit more clarity to it. Though I also love the warmth of the Alnico Classic Pro in the neck (which is why I'm curious the difference in tones between the Alnico Classic Pro and the Probucker 2).

I've never heard of the Alnico Classic Plus until recently, and am not sure what guitars even come/came with it.

Thus my thread!

Thanks so much for your great output. I have no need to switch you out!

I will say this, i watched a video on the Marshall forum with that chappers guy and he went to the DaDario string company and toured the plant. I was impressed with the company so i went out and bought 2 sets of the NYXL strings. I normally use EB slinky 10s in the lime green package. When i went from the EBs to the NYXL strings it sounded like i turned my midrange and treble knobs up each a few clicks and my bass down a few clicks. I was really disappointed to say the least. That and they are like 2X the price of any other type and brand.

Ive gone many years playing the same type of strings i dont know why i decided to try something else. The EBs wernt that old a week or so. I thought ide give the NYXLs a little more time though see how they stay in tune and how durable they are.

Archived