Gibson Brands Forums

2010 sg bass case handle fix / replacement

herb nice

The nice padded handle on the hard case of my 2010 sg bass gave up when hauling it back up the stairs on the way home from rehearsal tonight. Almost dropped my beer. It has gone up and down and all around with me a couple of times a week for 6 years- bass in one hand, amp in the other, trying not to bounce off of everything in the way. Definitely has had a lot use, but not as much as some of my gear.

Anyway, the thin metal inside the handle broke where it meets the pivot, similar to this image from the internet: http://www.tdpri.com/attachments/1215121143-jpg.156387/

Does anyone have tips/tricks for fixing it, or should I start searching out a replacement? I'll need rig something temporary for the weekend at the very least...

Thanks!

Depending on your location, you might be able to find a luggage repair, or shoe repair shop, that will have the right tools and equipment to put a new handle, or handle and brackets, on that case.

Luggage replacement handles are readily available via the internet, but removing and replacing the brackets is a little tricky. They handles also come with various types of mounting brackets, and you have to make sure the brackets will work on the curved, non-planer, edge of a guitar case.

Thanks dudes! I like the look of that one from Elderly, appears rugged and won't require drilling out the rivets on my case. I will check a couple luggage shops to see if they have something similar, if not I will rig something temporary up and order one from internet.

Thanks dudes! I like the look of that one from Elderly, appears rugged and won't require drilling out the rivets on my case. I will check a couple luggage shops to see if they have something similar, if not I will rig something temporary up and order one from internet.

I got these from Elderly and installed them on both my Martin cases. I know they're not the style you need (the other link should be a fit), but I'm happy with them. The Martin cases also had only a thin metal strip holding the handle and are known to fail.

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/cases-gigbags/case-parts/case-handle.htm

Called around, local luggage repair shops wanted to take the case for a couple days. Since I needed it to gig (didn't want to use a gig bag/other case with my favorite bass), I fixed the handle instead with things from my home. Only took a few minutes. Drilled a small hole through the broken side of the handle, wound a key ring through and now it's sturdier than it ever was. I placed the hole such that the key ring is tight up against the break, so the handle doesn't rattle or anything annoying. This hack will probably survive a few more months of abuse.

• 3 weeks later...

I've fixed quite a few of my cases with a brass screw, (#5 I think) a couple nuts & an acorn nut. I buy a new handle & drill out the rivets.

Handel2_zpsjdvnewr4.jpg

Handel1_zpskvhow0n3.jpg

I've never seen the padded handles, but the plastic type are readily available at woodworking stores etc..........

Archived