Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Ripper Prototype 1979

dannyjosiah

Hey community !

PICTURES IN THE LINK BELOW

Im daniel , from malaysia .

i have this bass that ive inherited and im thinking of selling it

From what ive read on other forums is that its a Gibson Ripper Prototype 1979 made in USA

its serial number is 040172

could anyone tell me what its worth and who and how can i validate this myth of a bass ?

Email me

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6pDISzNO6m4N3BnMXhTbTVSZGc

Hope ill have my questions answered . Thank you

Interesting!

By that serial number, (accompanied by the 'Made In USA' on the back of the headstock) it could have been produced by Gibson sometime between 1970 and 1972.

The production model Ripper was manufactured from 1973 until 1983, so the prototype notion seems valid.

I would contact Jon S. on this forum, and/or send an inquiry to service@gibson.com, and see what they have to say about it.

[mellow]

Interesting!

By that serial number, (accompanied by the 'Made In USA' on the back of the headstock) it could have been produced by Gibson sometime between 1970 and 1972.

The production model Ripper was manufactured from 1973 until 1983, so the prototype notion seems valid.

I would contact Jon S. on this forum, and/or send an inquiry to service@gibson.com, and see what they have to say about it.

[mellow]

Thank you so much !

Curious. I've only seen (pictures of) a handful of prototype Gibsons but all of them - from the late '60s to the mid '80s - had a stamp on the rear of the headstock which said "Original Gibson Prototype" like the one pictured here;

Gibson%20Prototype%20stamp%20lo-res_zpsgrjw4dvr.jpg

It will be interesting to hear what Customer Service has to say.

Pip.

Archived