Gibson Brands Forums

Backup for my jr

Hendrixlvr

Hi folks....been a while since posted. I'm absolutely in love with my Les Paul Jr double cut, but I want to start playing out and need a back-up.....my problem is I've been playing so many trying to find a decent backup guitar, and I want something with a neck pickup in case I need it, and the closest I've found to something I like is the 2015 Les Paul special double cut, but it's got that damn robot tuner, and that stupid zero fret nut, and I hate the new necks, but it SOUNDS killer lol. I also like the simplicity of the one volume/one tone like my jr....there are other older ones out there, but they all have the 4 knob configuration......anyone have any suggestions for a decent backup? Please help lol

Hi folks....been a while since posted. I'm absolutely in love with my Les Paul Jr double cut, but I want to start playing out and need a back-up.....my problem is I've been playing so many trying to find a decent backup guitar, and I want something with a neck pickup in case I need it, and the closest I've found to something I like is the 2015 Les Paul special double cut, but it's got that damn robot tuner, and that stupid zero fret nut, and I hate the new necks, but it SOUNDS killer lol. I also like the simplicity of the one volume/one tone like my jr....there are other older ones out there, but they all have the 4 knob configuration......anyone have any suggestions for a decent backup? Please help lol

Maybe find something on eBay or Reverb that is similar to what you've got already? Can't really offer anything else msp_biggrin.gif

Check E-bay, or Reverb, for a 2003-5 "Faded" double cut, LP Special.

(See mine, below, for an example)

DSC_0027.jpg

(Machine heads, were changed, by me, to Gover's)

DSC_0029.jpg

They came in TV Yellow (above), Faded Cherry, and possibly(?) Faded Black, and Faded White,

at differing time slots.

Nice neck (generally '60's style), and unusually lively=resonant, unplugged.

Good Luck!

CB

Yes, I got the 2015 LP Special because I loved it's beautiful simplicity, doublecut design, the P90s, the bound neck and I have even grown to love the TV yellow colour. I can even live with the tuners and nut... BUT that wide, wide neck has been impossible to get used to :(

I hope Gibson release this design again but with a normal width neck. I would buy it again and try to off load my 2015.

Guest Farnsbarns

Just to throw this in the mix. It's a very simple job to convert from independent controls. A few mins with a soldering iron.

Yes, I got the 2015 LP Special because I loved it's beautiful simplicity, doublecut design, the P90s, the bound neck and I have even grown to love the TV yellow colour. I can even live with the tuners and nut... BUT that wide, wide neck has been impossible to get used to :(

I hope Gibson release this design again but with a normal width neck. I would buy it again and try to off load my 2015.

That is such a shame. I love those necks.

Have you tried playing it exclusively for an extended period? That's the way I 'learned' to use a regular Gibson neck. It took me about 18 hours of play. Now I find it easy to switch between most all neck sizes.

That is such a shame. I love those necks.

Have you tried playing it exclusively for an extended period? That's the way I 'learned' to use a regular Gibson neck. It took me about 18 hours of play. Now I find it easy to switch between most all neck sizes.

Yes, I have spent many hours playing it and I often think, 'this is not so bad', but as soon as I pick up one of my standard width neck guitars, I immediately notice how much more comfortable they feel.

The result is that it has become my least preferred guitar and hence the one I use least, even tho I love the sound and look of it.

Such a great guitar!

I have always wanted one, but never found a Jr. at the times when I could probably afford one.

Hope springs eternal though.

[unsure]

PS Charlie Brown, I LOVE your TV Yellow Junior. Man, what a sweet guitar.

Archived