Gibson Brands Forums

tuner update for 2002 les paul

kidblast

So I order up a new pair of Gibson Vintage tuners, thinking, ye, no sweat, it's a drop in..

nope.

the 2002 Standard they were going in, those tuners have a straight shaft, that goes right into the machine head.

the replacements (part # PMMH-010) have a flange around the base where the shaft attaches to the machine head.

Hole is too small..

The correct ones (PMMH-040) I had to order were 25 bucks more.

go figure.

Moral of the story... I assumed,, I should not assume.. shoulda popped one out and dbl checked it, it was pretty obvious once I did that.

hahaha!! I suppose in most cases,, however, it looks like most of the grovers have the flange too.

What I had to chase down with the ones where the packing says "True Historic"...

but my axe, she aint no such thang.. just a 2002 Standard...

I feel so... historical... now.. not before.. well after I change them.. then, maybe.

it's it too early to start drinking?

I can feel a few 'soft' spots in two of them where you turn them and nothing happens, then grabs on again and now the string is sharp. (ARG!)

also excessive backlash with the low E, which is the most problematic.

guitar is 15 years old, and it gets a lot of use, so it's just time to retire the stock machine head. Seems to be about right, I replaced the ones in my 95 standard about 5 years ago, with similar problems.

nothing lasts forever I guess..

Archived