Gibson Brands Forums

2016 Les Paul Junior Single Coil Ltd

Hendrixlvr

Okay, WTF is going on with Gibson?! First they screw up all the 2015's, and they seem right on track with the 2016's as well. This is a $1,500 guitar and it was by far one of the worst playing, sounding instruments I've played in a long time. It was like somebody was shoving an ice pick through my brain on the neck pickup, so you can imagine what it was like on the bridge

I absolutely love my '93 double cut jr. And I thought that this would be one step up from there. Nope!

First of all, for $1,500 you think you would get more than just a gig bag. It has an extremely cheap looking/feeling satin finish, the neck felt like I would snap it in half if I pressed on the fretboard too hard and it felt so light I could have sworn it was a piece of plastic not mahogany. I know some guys like a really like guitar but when you're buying something that's supposed to be a chunk of mahogany expected to have some girth behind it.

The one thing I liked about the guitar was the tall skinny frets.....come on Gibson, I really want to buy one of your products again so get your sh** together

Okay, WTF is going on with Gibson?! First they screw up all the 2015's, and they seem right on track with the 2016's as well. This is a $1,500 guitar and it was by far one of the worst playing, sounding instruments I've played in a long time. It was like somebody was shoving an ice pick through my brain on the neck pickup, so you can imagine what it was like on the bridge

P90s blow, most overrated pickup ever. I have a pair in yet another guitar going out the door next week, never getting them again, they just don't work for me.

rct

P90s blow, most overrated pickup ever. I have a pair in yet another guitar going out the door next week, never getting them again, they just don't work for me.

rct

I absolutely love the sound of my Jr and it has a single P90

I absolutely love the sound of my Jr and it has a single P90

Yeah, don't listen to the grumpy one... :)

I have a Double Cut Faded and a 60s Tribute with P90s and they absolutely rock....

Yeah, you do get a good set now and again. I had some P100s I liked a lot and should have kept. I haven't found any since that were good enough to keep.

rct

I absolutely love my '93 double cut jr. And I thought that this would be one step up from there. Nope!

First of all, for $1,500 you think you would get more than just a gig bag. It has an extremely cheap looking/feeling satin finish, the neck felt like I would snap it in half if I pressed on the fretboard too hard and it felt so light I could have sworn it was a piece of plastic not mahogany. I know some guys like a really like guitar but when you're buying something that's supposed to be a chunk of mahogany expected to have some girth behind it.

The one thing I liked about the guitar was the tall skinny frets.....come on Gibson, I really want to buy one of your products again so get your sh** together

I think you are confused.

A bit ago in another thread, you were raving about the sound you liked and how great it was on this particular guitar you tried out, but couldn't get on with the tuners and nut, and wasn't crazy about the neck shape. But you loved the sound.

Now you complain about the sound about another one. Or is it the same one?

Why get pissed about a particular guitar you don't like?

I think you are confused.

A bit ago in another thread, you were raving about the sound you liked and how great it was on this particular guitar you tried out, but couldn't get on with the tuners and nut, and wasn't crazy about the neck shape. But you loved the sound.

Now you complain about the sound about another one. Or is it the same one?

Why get pissed about a particular guitar you don't like?

I'm not confused, ( and I don't think I would say was "raving about the sound you liked and how great it was", I simply said it sounded killer) that just shows, in my opinion, how bad the 2015, and the 2016 are.....and how bad Gibson is doing right now. In the 2015 the pickups sounded awesome but the nut and Tuners are crap, now in 2016 they've got the nut and tuners fixed but they screwed with the pickups .....I'm not pissed off about a guitar I don't like, I'm pissed off because Gibson is screwing with a product that there was nothing wrong with in the first place. Besides I think I'm entitled to my opinion, and express my frustration with a company/product that I'm trying to stay loyal to.... Isn't that the point of these forums?

Well, playing one or two, that don't meet your "muster," doesn't necessarily indicate

Gibson's overall QC. A LOT happens to guitars, after they're shipped. Setups, are very

general, and not always to one's own criteria. My dealer knows, what I like, and helps

me, anyway they can, to find it! So, a great dealer is invaluable, IMHO. Mine will

setup, change the nut to bone, and change the strings to my preference, all as part of

"the deal!" They also do a second (free) setup, within one year's time, as/if needed.

Also, they pre-inspect, every guitar they get! Send back, the "dogs," and put out the

good one's, for sale. Consequently, I've never been disappointed in any guitar I've

purchased from them. And, I've been their customer, for nearly 40 years, now.

Big Box stores, with a few exceptions, never go to that much trouble. They often, don't

even open the boxes, to inspect the guitars, that they get from the factory. They're

more like "warehouses," for the inventory. "Sweetwater" is (one) exception. Some, are

getting better, about checking (even photographing) the stock they receive, now.

Every guitar, even the same model, and "spec's, will be a bit different, guitar to guitar!

So, depending on how picky you are, you may spend a LOT of time, testing, until you find

"the one!" But, that's half the fun, isn't it?! Remember, one man's POS, might well be

another's "dream guitar!"

Good luck, with your continued search! [biggrin]

CB

Sounds like you are having quite the struggle finding the right guitar for yourself. As P90's go, which I happen to love, Gibson is making some really really great ones right now. Neck profile is purely a subjective experience and varies a lot between guitars. You know what you want, which is good, now just take the time to search and find the right one. Another player I got to know spent the better part of 8-9 years looking for the right Les Paul. In that time he bought and sold a bunch of them until he found the one that felt right. When he found it though he sold a couple off from his collection to get it. Be willing to look around and wait for it. Then be willing to pay the price to get it regardless of the case it comes in. A great guitar is worth the cost (potentially) if it inspires you

I love the 2015s. I have three of them. Beautiful craftsmanship and feel. My single P90 Junior rips and it was only $800 new with a hard case.

Did you pay $1500 for a guitar you didn't play first?

Screwed up the 2015's? I love mine! Nut is great, tuner thing has been an absolute blessing for live shows and like the wide neck. Plus the best build/set up on any new guitar ive ever bought.

I don't think I would say was "raving about the sound you liked and how great it was", I simply said it sounded killer I always thought 'killer' meant 'great'?

• 6 months later...

Well, playing one or two, that don't meet your "muster," doesn't necessarily indicate

Gibson's overall QC. A LOT happens to guitars, after they're shipped. Setups, are very

general, and not always to one's own criteria. My dealer knows, what I like, and helps

me, anyway they can, to find it! So, a great dealer is invaluable, IMHO. Mine will

setup, change the nut to bone, and change the strings to my preference, all as part of

"the deal!" They also do a second (free) setup, within one year's time, as/if needed.

Also, they pre-inspect, every guitar they get! Send back, the "dogs," and put out the

good one's, for sale. Consequently, I've never been disappointed in any guitar I've

purchased from them. And, I've been their customer, for nearly 40 years, now.

Big Box stores, with a few exceptions, never go to that much trouble. They often, don't

even open the boxes, to inspect the guitars, that they get from the factory. They're

more like "warehouses," for the inventory. "Sweetwater" is (one) exception. Some, are

getting better, about checking (even photographing) the stock they receive, now.

Every guitar, even the same model, and "spec's, will be a bit different, guitar to guitar!

So, depending on how picky you are, you may spend a LOT of time, testing, until you find

"the one!" But, that's half the fun, isn't it?! Remember, one man's POS, might well be

another's "dream guitar!"

Good luck, with your continued search! [biggrin]

CB

Well said

Guest Farnsbarns

I don't believe Gibson have changed the spec on these p90s.

What makes you think you can judge an entire years inventory based on one guitar?

Why do you want another Gibson? If they're not doing it for you find a brand that is.

Unless, of course, you're just trolling.

rct

Lol. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, I, (and many others) would disagree with you, but to each his own.

Archived