Gibson Brands Forums

Why I just bought a WM-00

Jesse_Dylan

http://rvrb.io/wm-00-fjk

I bought this guitar today after a few days of total obsession, a few months of serious chin-scratching, a few years of serious contemplation, and about 10 years of regrets.

Bear with me. This will get rambly.

I started playing guitar in 1999, when I was 17. I borrowed my dad's Japanese Fender jumbo, and I went at it. It was big and scary, and I wanted a smaller guitar. Near the end of 1999 (although all the details are fuzzy), I got a Martin Backpacker. It was a silly little thing, but it actually made a pretty decent "learner." It was not as intimidating or loud as the jumbo.

I had been reading Dad's Acoustic Guitar Magazines as well. I absolutely obsessed over a "flattops under $500" article. There wasn't as much internet in those days, but I used that as well. I didn't know what to buy. My heart said Gibson, Martin, Guild. My wallet said "urghh" which broke my heart. I nearly bought a Fender dreadnought, but my love for a GREEN Guild mahogany/spruce kept me from it, and my lack of funds kept me from the Guild.

In early 2000, Acoustic Guitar had an article about small guitars. I obsessed over this even more than the "Flattops Under $500" article (because I had already figured out I did not want a guitar under $500--already a guitar snob, even as I resented the prices of the ones I wanted!).

In particular in this article on small guitars was a Gibson WM-00, a spruce/mahogany, all-solid, simple, small guitar. In fact, I believe it was Gibson's least expensive guitar at the time, and not only that, but in the article, they kept saying how it was great for vocal accompaniment (I was already writing songs) and a "great little strummer" with plenty of Gibson thump and vibe--and I certainly could not do anything besides strum at that point (it was 2009 before I figured out how to fingerpick). It was everything I wanted!!!!!!!!!!!! I kept obsessing. I stared at the tiny little photo in the article. I loved the shape of the guitar. It was almost obscene to me.

But I didn't think I could ever afford the $1500 (which was a hell of a lot of money in 2000, especially for a teenager), and keep in mind that at this time, my only guitar was a Martin Backpacker. So, in the spring of 2000, I got my first real guitar, an eBay rip-off Guild acoustic-electric dreadnought. It was not a bad guitar (kept it for years and years), just had some flaws (warped neck being one), was overpriced, was not all solid wood. Of course the pickup sounded awful (it was from 1997), but I thought I needed to plug in, and I did plug in a fair amount back then, being fearless. I played it a ton and did a ton of shows with it.

Fast-forward to 2002. The WM-00 was already out of production by this point, and I still wanted one. I no longer thought I needed a big guitar to be cool, or needed to plug in (I had stopped plugging in when I realized it sounded horrid and I might as well use microphones), and I had seen Bob Dylan from the '60s with small Gibsons (that 13-fret he had on Don't Look Back). I finally bought a WM-00 on eBay.

I brought it everywhere with me, eventually leaving it in my dad's office at college (he was a prof). We were in a band together and did the music for a play. I played that little Gibson all the time. A VHS of me playing a very long show with it in April of that year exists (I had written enough songs by this point to weed through them and do a decent couple-hour set--I was good-looking back then, too! oh how dearly things have changed).

In 2004, I was desperate for money when leaving home for the first time. I sold the WM-00, while the Guild stayed at home in the basement. I don't know when I began regretting selling the WM-00. The regret just compounded over the years. These days, I am Gibson-obsessed, and I've kicked myself over and over for selling it.

And, now I've bought one! I have no idea what year mine was, but this one is a 2001 that the seller bought in 2006 or so (probably about the time my regrets began to really kick in), had it about 10 years, and now it's mine! I know, it is hardly a "classic" model, but it is a really special model to me, and even though it's only 15 years old, it is my oldest guitar (the rest are basically new except my 2010 Martin M-36).

I will of course report back when it arrives. :) Thank you to anyone who read all this. It was fun to write.

Here's the article I found out about the WM-00 from and obsessed over.

2016-05-24%2023.50.42.png

The intro...

2016-05-24%2023.19.04.png

I read this part over and over. "Fat sound"! "Strummer"! "Accompaniment"! They did get the nut width wrong, though; it is, of course, the standard Gibson 1.725", though some say it's 1.75". They got the back/side wood correct, though--for some reason I thought it was bubinga! Had been thinking that for years, but I don't see it listed as bubinga anywhere and have no idea where I ever got the idea.

2016-05-24%2023.31.42.png

It's even mentioned in the conclusion!! "...a great little strummer"!!!!

I wish I could go back in time, give it to my 18 year-old self as my first guitar, and say, "Okay, you can have the one you want, but you can't sell it!"

Oh well. I will have it back soon, even though it's probably not my old one.

And, as always, a pleasure to read. I love the backstories of various guitars and the details of what led up to finding/obtaining a particular instrument. All mine have a story, one way or another, and I expect that's true for a fair number of us hardcore musical degenerates. So your father was a professor? That was my 'official' job prior to retirement - what was his area?

Many of my current instruments connect me in some way to early purchases from the '70s.

Most recently, that's meant revisiting my appreciation for Guild guitars.

Tons of fun! Enjoy the heck out of that WM-00!

Guess all that recent talk about not buying used and always buying new for the warranty and not wanting a used guitar because you "didn't want someone's lips all over the guitar" are out the door on this one...

Can you give me the two line version Jesse ... info overload here.. [blink] [blink]

Someday you are going to miss your Songwriter, then they will become hard to find, buy you will come to want one so bad again you end up buying another one.

That's what he did with the WM-00, he just went into detail of why he likes it so much and what he did with it.

It WAS a good read.

Someday you are going to miss your Songwriter, then they will become hard to find, buy you will come to want one so bad again you end up buying another one.

That's what he did with the WM-00, he just went into detail of why he likes it so much and what he did with it.

It WAS a good read.

Thank you Stein.

Thanks, everybody. I can't wait. I hope it is everything I remember, everything I swooned over when I was young, and more--or less! I can't imagine going wrong.

And, as always, a pleasure to read. I love the backstories of various guitars and the details of what led up to finding/obtaining a particular instrument. All mine have a story, one way or another, and I expect that's true for a fair number of us hardcore musical degenerates. So your father was a professor? That was my 'official' job prior to retirement - what was his area?

I love backstories too!! Maybe we should start a "what's the story behind your favorite guitar?" thread.

Dad's getting ready to retire pretty soon. He's been all over the place, but particularly humanities. He taught some English courses, was the honors director for a while, taught "history of rock and pop" and "history of the U.S. through folk music," and now I think he mostly just teaches speech classes. --All without a doctorate!

I work at the same university now, in the TRiO grants SSS and SSS-D programs. I've been all over the place too (but no professing)--the major I actually finished is sociology, and my master's is in counseling.

What was (is!) your area? I really like the university environment, even stuff I am a dullard when it comes to, like science (and music theory for that matter).

Guess all that recent talk about not buying used and always buying new for the warranty and not wanting a used guitar because you "didn't want someone's lips all over the guitar" are out the door on this one...

Hey, don't be like that meng. *hug* I didn't mean to insult anyone who likes or prefers buying used guitars. We've all had lips all over us, too, if we're lucky (or especially unlucky in some cases).

Several years ago I got a Nick Lucas Reissue. It arrived on election day 2004. It was pretty as can be but closed in sounding. What a disappointment it was. So I played it and played it and played it. I still sounded boxy and closed in. So I sold it. Then about 2010 I got another one off of Ebay from Alaska. It was Memorial Day weekend and it actually come on Monday! Paid a lot in shipping but it came over night. Well long story short it wasn't as pretty or pristine as the first one but man it sounded good. Two years later though I put a trade together for another guitar and it went away. Well it came back to me this past spring through the goodness of a friend's heart. The bridge had pulled up but otherwise it had just been pretty much ignored. I got the bridge fixed, used it in a recording session and it is back to being my go to guitar. That and a Waterloo I got at Music Villa last July. I like the smaller guitars and am not looking back. Glad you are reconnected with one you love too.

Thanks, everybody. I can't wait. I hope it is everything I remember, everything I swooned over when I was young, and more--or less! I can't imagine going wrong.

I love backstories too!! Maybe we should start a "what's the story behind your favorite guitar?" thread.

Dad's getting ready to retire pretty soon. He's been all over the place, but particularly humanities. He taught some English courses, was the honors director for a while, taught "history of rock and pop" and "history of the U.S. through folk music," and now I think he mostly just teaches speech classes. --All without a doctorate!

I work at the same university now, in the TRiO grants SSS and SSS-D programs. I've been all over the place too (but no professing)--the major I actually finished is sociology, and my master's is in counseling.

What was (is!) your area? I really like the university environment, even stuff I am a dullard when it comes to, like science (and music theory for that matter).

I was, according to the Dean of Instruction, his 'utility infielder'. Officially an English professor, I taught American lit., Speech, Interpersonal Communication, English lit., Creative Writing, and the entire spectrum of English Comp. from remedial to advanced. Absolutely loved the university environment, chaired the Writing Department for a couple years, and might still be at it if there'd been a stable of horses on campus. My undergraduate degree is Literature/Speech, graduate degrees are American Literature and Interpersonal Communication.

Several years ago I got a Nick Lucas Reissue. It arrived on election day 2004. It was pretty as can be but closed in sounding. What a disappointment it was. So I played it and played it and played it. I still sounded boxy and closed in. So I sold it. Then about 2010 I got another one off of Ebay from Alaska. It was Memorial Day weekend and it actually come on Monday! Paid a lot in shipping but it came over night. Well long story short it wasn't as pretty or pristine as the first one but man it sounded good. Two years later though I put a trade together for another guitar and it went away. Well it came back to me this past spring through the goodness of a friend's heart. The bridge had pulled up but otherwise it had just been pretty much ignored. I got the bridge fixed, used it in a recording session and it is back to being my go to guitar. That and a Waterloo I got at Music Villa last July. I like the smaller guitars and am not looking back. Glad you are reconnected with one you love too.

That's a pretty cool story!! I hope mine turns out as well!

The WM-00 is in New Orleans as of today but is not scheduled to arrive until Friday the 3rd. I guess that means it's going to spend Memorial Day weekend in New Orleans. I hope it takes photos, sees historical things, and behaves itself! Maybe it can bring me back some mojo. At least I know it won't dry out.

I feel like if I were clever and could use photoshop, I could start an entertaining thread with this concept.

The WM-00 is in New Orleans as of today but is not scheduled to arrive until Friday the 3rd. I guess that means it's going to spend Memorial Day weekend in New Orleans. I hope it takes photos, sees historical things, and behaves itself! Maybe it can bring me back some mojo. At least I know it won't dry out.

I feel like if I were clever and could use photoshop, I could start an entertaining thread with this concept.

Hey, that's where I live. Maybe the carrier will let me try it out and I'll report back to you! [biggrin]

Hey, that's where I live. Maybe the carrier will let me try it out and I'll report back to you! [biggrin]

I wish you could!!

Apparently my guitar was purchased in 2005 in New Orleans, just off Julia St., 2-3 weeks before Katrina hit. The store it came from was devastated, as were all the guitars it housed. My seller said this guitar narrowly escaped death by sea in order to sit in his closet for most of the next ten (11 really) years before finally making its way to me. Even if I end up not liking it, how can I let it go with a tale like that??

His lifetime keeper guitar is a Guild D-40 he traded his bike to Buckminster Fuller's grandson for in the late '70s during high school. Wow! If this guy had any more guitars, he'd have to write a book about them. He said he only plays a few times per year now but can't imagine parting with the Guild.

I wish you could!!

Apparently my guitar was purchased in 2005 in New Orleans, just off Julia St., 2-3 weeks before Katrina hit. The store it came from was devastated, as were all the guitars it housed. My seller said this guitar narrowly escaped death by sea in order to sit in his closet for most of the next ten (11 really) years before finally making its way to me. Even if I end up not liking it, how can I let it go with a tale like that??

His lifetime keeper guitar is a Guild D-40 he traded his bike to Buckminster Fuller's grandson for in the late '70s during high school. Wow! If this guy had any more guitars, he'd have to write a book about them. He said he only plays a few times per year now but can't imagine parting with the Guild.

Even more to the story. Cool!

Archived