Gibson Brands Forums

Banner SJ that went to WWII

jt

Hello, all. I've discovered that the Kalamazoo Valley Museum has uploaded videos about my went-to-WWII SJ. Here's the video of me telling its story:

And, playing my arrangement of Buddy Holly's "Everyday," including botched intro:

Even though I have read your book and heard you tell this story before, I still find it fascinating, and it really makes owning one of these 25000 guitars truly special. I just wish I could play mine as well as you play yours!

I might be mistaken, but didn't you mention at one point that you are planning a follow up book? If so, are you ready to share any details?

Lars

Even though I have read your book and heard you tell this story before, I still find it fascinating, and it really makes owning one of these 25000 guitars truly special. I just wish I could play mine as well as you play yours!

I might be mistaken, but didn't you mention at one point that you are planning a follow up book? If so, are you reäafy to share any details?

Lars

Lars,

Thanks for the kind words!

About 25,000 total instruments, but only 9,000 flat tops. I can't imagine that more than half survive. So, 1 of probably only 4,000.

I'll write a second edition containing all that I've learned since the book's publication. My publisher is thrilled about the prospect. I'd put the publication date about 2 years away. So many projects, so little time ...

Hello, all. I've discovered that the Kalamazoo Valley Museum has uploaded videos about my went-to-WWII SJ. Here's the video of me telling its story:

And, playing my arrangement of Buddy Holly's "Everyday," including botched intro:

Thanks JT!

You are a bad influence - I would like that guitar very much... [biggrin] and I was looking at a similar banner online...........

BluesKing777.

Wow! I hope they asked your permission?? Fantastic videos. You've got some great stuff on there in general. Going to queue it all up and binge-watch over lunch. Thanks for posting!

Woops, I get it now! This is their channel, and they posted you on it now. Still, great videos and fascinating topic. Great interview.

jt, this discussion, for some reason I can't explain, made me think of the part in the book about the uniqueness of the bridges made for the Banners and I was wondering if you have any close ups of some of them for us to see? I think I've only seen a color picture of one of them. Or perhaps dwell on them a bit more in your sequel?

Archived